Reload this Page >

Secret Santa 2016 Official Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: steveman518
Remember this is an unofficial record and that you must PM wharvey when you ship and receive gifts as per the rules in the first post!
This is an unofficial wiki maintained by steveman518. Please fill in gifts you've received if you can. However if you can't, steveman518 will check every post-PM for questions as well
Basic photo upload tutorial (if you choose not to upload directly to Flyertalk)
Find a site to upload your photo to another site
Direct copy the link of the photo or right click on the image and select "copy image URL" or "copy image address". Make sure that the link ends with .jpg/.tif or any other image extension (there may be issues with google images)
Place that link in between the
Code:
[IMG][/IMG] tags
GIFTS RECEIVED
3furballs #1
Annexation #1
annielee #1
AtomicLush #1 (part 2) (part 3) (part 4)
Bravada04 #1
BXIAN #1 (part 2) #2 #3 #4 #5 #6
Catman #1
CDTraveler #1 #2
Chink400 #1 #2
ckidder 331 #1 #2 #3
compubit #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
CPH-Flyer #1 #2
DeepUnderground #1
DevilDawg1960 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
dibby #1 #2 #3
diburning #1 #2
dogdogcatcat #1
Dogmatick #1
durberville #1 #2
financialhippie #1
Flyiboy #1 #2
FlyingCow #1 (part 2) #2 #3
fnaime23 #1 #2
fralcole #1
genoa #1
Glamette #1
grbflyer #1 #2
Gregor #1
gsegall #1 #2
HockeyMom93 #1
horizontal #1
jamesteroh #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
jetset09 #1
Jinxy #1 #2
jondabomb #1 #2
kauppias #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
kevinflyaway #1 #2
kipper #1 (part 2) (part 3) #2 #3 #4 #5 #6
kolican #1
laguna1 #1
Lakee911 #1
linzbh #1
Lisabeth #1 #2 #3 #4
lksf #1
malexander131 #1
MappingChick #1
Marcia3641 #1
mdovenmuehler #1 #2
Middle_Kingdom #1
miffSC #1 #2 #3
miko2a #1 #2
MissChele #1
missydarlin #1 #2 #3
MrDplus #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7
nomadic.relief #1 #2
ohlradio #1
oliver2002 #1
onfo #1
onthewaytoadventure #1 #2
pbjag #1 (part 2) #2
poohbear808 #1
poptarts #1 (part 2)
Redhead #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 (part 2)
Ricecakes #1
Richard Chen #1
RockinRon #1 #2
Runner123 #1 (part 2)
samosa #1 #2
sandratravels #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
ScGhost0 #1
SDQBound#1
shutterbugguy #1
sperkins921 #1 #2
SteveHK #1 #2 #3 #4
steveman518 #1 #2 (part 2) #3
strawbearlyjamms #1
TangoThree #1
Tblack15 #1
tcl #1 #2
thatguyatthebar #1
thehowieee #1 #2
Thomas Sivapathan #1
tingadingling #1
token385 #1
TokyoFoodie #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
Tpa-flyer #1 (part 2) (part 3)
tzvilev #1 (part 2) (part 3) #2 #3
whherron #1
WriterGirlLinds #1
yunicorner #1
YVRorange #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
Print Wikipost

Secret Santa 2016 Official Thread!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by oenophilist
Should we consider having a minimum post count or some other mechanism to avoid this happening?
Don't think post count is a good metric for this... I'm a reader on FT, not a frequent poster, and I've avidly participated twice in SS. It's a highlight of my year!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Question: last year a "lurker" was one of my gift recipients and they skipped out on their santa duties for sending their gift to whoever was supposed to be their recipient. This was quite disappointing not only to the other giftee but also to me as I put quite a bit of thought into my gift, only to realize later that I gave it to someone who didn't deserve it. Should've sent coal.

Should we consider having a minimum post count or some other mechanism to avoid this happening?
I think there is this discussion every year. I don't think there should be a minimum post count, as it not only adds to wharvey's workload (checking post counts) but that isn't always a great metric.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
I take this time to thank wharvey for organizing again, wow, what a commitment, know you must do it out of fun and happiness!

I also take this time to thank last year's gifter, my son loves the AF 77W & I loved Joe Sutter's book, they were awesome.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Pm sent, 2nd year
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I have a suggestion for future years. Put in a link to the current thread in the prior years thread. i.e. put a link to this thread in the 2015 Secret Santa thread saying that the 2016 thread is open and next year when the 2017 thread starts put a link in this thread. That way secret santa participants from the prior year will know when the current year thread opens.

I found out about this thread on another travel blog. If there would have been a link in the 2015 thread anyone subscribed to that thread last year would have known about the 2016 secret santa thread
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:42 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I assumed people would have unsubscribed to that thread by now!

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I have a suggestion for future years. Put in a link to the current thread in the prior years thread. i.e. put a link to this thread in the 2015 Secret Santa thread saying that the 2016 thread is open and next year when the 2017 thread starts put a link in this thread. That way secret santa participants from the prior year will know when the current year thread opens.

I found out about this thread on another travel blog. If there would have been a link in the 2015 thread anyone subscribed to that thread last year would have known about the 2016 secret santa thread
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Thanks again for organizing and best of luck in your job search
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
THANK YOU for organizing this again. It's been one of my favourite parts of the holidays for many years now.

I'm in for 5 - including international PM sent

Originally Posted by ginoa724
First time participating and certainly excited! Any tips from the veterans?
Welcome to the fun! Be as detailed and specific as possible in your description of interests, etc. Don't just say that you like to travel (we all do! It's Flyertalk after all) but give descriptions of your hobbies, etc. Also, don't be afraid to say if there is something you don't like or don't want.

For example, I say that I love to cook but that I don't want any new cookbooks since I have about 100 and we can't have anything with nuts due to my daughter's allergies.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Last year was great! PM has been sent! I hope this year will be just as fun!
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: Southwest, Delta, Hyatt & IHG
I have had a great time with this in the past. My daughter looks forward to when the packages come in the mail. I have sent my PM. Let the gift hunting begin.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: Too many
I'm in again! Year 6 or 7 for me? I've lost track! (and I've never gotten Kipper after doing the max gifts every year HA HA!)

A couple of tips to new people. DO ensure you post back into the thread when you've received a gift and what it is. Not only do we enjoy seeing what other people got, but also to let your SS know you received your gift. If you can post in this thread when you've signed up, you should also post when you receive.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I have just signed up for the 3rd year running.

I am looking forward to another fun round of Secret Santa.

Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:02 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
If you look at the list of people who did not fulfill their commitments, several had high post counts.

I do my best to screen who participates and tweak the process each year. I do not think people realize the extensive effort it takes for me to run the process. It truly is a labor of love! Even though I enjoyed receiving gifts, I do not even participate anymore. I end out sending gifts to those who get slighted as several of you do.

No process is perfect but I do my best.

Question: last year a "lurker" was one of my gift recipients and they skipped out on their santa duties for sending their gift to whoever was supposed to be their recipient. This was quite disappointing not only to the other giftee but also to me as I put quite a bit of thought into my gift, only to realize later that I gave it to someone who didn't deserve it. Should've sent coal.

Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by wharvey
If you look at the list of people who did not fulfill their commitments, several had high post counts.

I do my best to screen who participates and tweak the process each year. I do not think people realize the extensive effort it takes for me to run the process. It truly is a labor of love! Even though I enjoyed receiving gifts, I do not even participate anymore. I end out sending gifts to those who get slighted as several of you do.

No process is perfect but I do my best.
Besides, isn't the fun of this giving to others, regardless of what happens afterward (akin to Pay it Forward)? The fact of the matter is, you're making someones day and when you get something from someone else it's a nice bonus (okay, an awesome bonus).
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
PM sent, this is my first time! Looking forward to it, and thank you for organizing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.