Reload this Page >

Secret Santa 2016 Official Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: steveman518
Remember this is an unofficial record and that you must PM wharvey when you ship and receive gifts as per the rules in the first post!
This is an unofficial wiki maintained by steveman518. Please fill in gifts you've received if you can. However if you can't, steveman518 will check every post-PM for questions as well
Basic photo upload tutorial (if you choose not to upload directly to Flyertalk)
Find a site to upload your photo to another site
Direct copy the link of the photo or right click on the image and select "copy image URL" or "copy image address". Make sure that the link ends with .jpg/.tif or any other image extension (there may be issues with google images)
Place that link in between the
Code:
[IMG][/IMG] tags
GIFTS RECEIVED
3furballs #1
Annexation #1
annielee #1
AtomicLush #1 (part 2) (part 3) (part 4)
Bravada04 #1
BXIAN #1 (part 2) #2 #3 #4 #5 #6
Catman #1
CDTraveler #1 #2
Chink400 #1 #2
ckidder 331 #1 #2 #3
compubit #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
CPH-Flyer #1 #2
DeepUnderground #1
DevilDawg1960 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
dibby #1 #2 #3
diburning #1 #2
dogdogcatcat #1
Dogmatick #1
durberville #1 #2
financialhippie #1
Flyiboy #1 #2
FlyingCow #1 (part 2) #2 #3
fnaime23 #1 #2
fralcole #1
genoa #1
Glamette #1
grbflyer #1 #2
Gregor #1
gsegall #1 #2
HockeyMom93 #1
horizontal #1
jamesteroh #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
jetset09 #1
Jinxy #1 #2
jondabomb #1 #2
kauppias #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
kevinflyaway #1 #2
kipper #1 (part 2) (part 3) #2 #3 #4 #5 #6
kolican #1
laguna1 #1
Lakee911 #1
linzbh #1
Lisabeth #1 #2 #3 #4
lksf #1
malexander131 #1
MappingChick #1
Marcia3641 #1
mdovenmuehler #1 #2
Middle_Kingdom #1
miffSC #1 #2 #3
miko2a #1 #2
MissChele #1
missydarlin #1 #2 #3
MrDplus #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7
nomadic.relief #1 #2
ohlradio #1
oliver2002 #1
onfo #1
onthewaytoadventure #1 #2
pbjag #1 (part 2) #2
poohbear808 #1
poptarts #1 (part 2)
Redhead #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 (part 2)
Ricecakes #1
Richard Chen #1
RockinRon #1 #2
Runner123 #1 (part 2)
samosa #1 #2
sandratravels #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
ScGhost0 #1
SDQBound#1
shutterbugguy #1
sperkins921 #1 #2
SteveHK #1 #2 #3 #4
steveman518 #1 #2 (part 2) #3
strawbearlyjamms #1
TangoThree #1
Tblack15 #1
tcl #1 #2
thatguyatthebar #1
thehowieee #1 #2
Thomas Sivapathan #1
tingadingling #1
token385 #1
TokyoFoodie #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
Tpa-flyer #1 (part 2) (part 3)
tzvilev #1 (part 2) (part 3) #2 #3
whherron #1
WriterGirlLinds #1
yunicorner #1
YVRorange #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
Print Wikipost

Secret Santa 2016 Official Thread!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Just upload the video to YT and make it unlisted.
From there you can take the link for the YT video from the URL bar and post it in. It wont appear on the channel but will be available to only those who have the link (i.e. us) and should still appear on the post without needing to leave FT.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
steveman518: I'm posting rather than sending a PM as others may wonder about this question.

Can we upload short videos to FT?

If so, how?

Tried uploading it as a photo, and that didn't work.

My cats received a gift from DevilDawg and I'd like to show what they really think of it. Still photos just won't do.
I saw the video and loved it!
Old Dec 26, 2016, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by steveman518
I don't believe you can upload videos directly to FT, but I do know that you can embed youtube videos into FT posts by inserting the link to the video between URL tags.

It looks like in this thread in post 17 that someone has also put a direct link to a video but you have to click on the image to the external hosting site for it to play.
There's a problem. I don't do anything that involves signing into Google, registering with Google or otherwise involves giving Google personal info and trying to access YouTube now seems to require going through Google.

Perhaps there's a YouTube regular here who'd be willing to post it for me? It's small enough to email. (right, Kipper?)
Old Dec 26, 2016, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
There's a problem. I don't do anything that involves signing into Google, registering with Google or otherwise involves giving Google personal info and trying to access YouTube now seems to require going through Google.

Perhaps there's a YouTube regular here who'd be willing to post it for me? It's small enough to email. (right, Kipper?)
Vimeo comes to mind, otherwise if you upload it to a Dropbox I'll move it to YouTube for you.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:00 pm

I'll see if I can upload it to YouTube.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR

You can always fake your personal info during registration (also enabling Do Not Track and frequently clearing cookies) -however, since YT is owned by Google, it will always require a google account.

However, I'm sure any of us, including myself, would be willing to upload it for you.

Again, Kipper if you're gonna do it unlisted is always the way to go
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
I'll see if I can upload it to YouTube.
Thanks.

And thanks to those who offered alternatives. I have too many friends working for Google to trust my data to it. The actual video doesn't contain anything more confidential than a glimpse of the dishwasher magnet collection; it's the registration that I choke on.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Vimeo comes to mind, otherwise if you upload it to a Dropbox I'll move it to YouTube for you.
WIRunner is correct in that Vimeo seems to work as well. You can always try any other video hosting service and see if that works
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:56 am

After some back and forth with FedEx, I received my second gift this morning from an anonymous secret santa from California. Thanks for the Amazon gift card. I'll put it to good use.

The Christmas card has a folding, 3-D pop up inside of it - sitting at my desk at work, I opened it nervously, worried it was going to be one of the ones that sings or makes noise, haha. But, just a squirrel in a Santa hat.

Thanks to all for a fun time participating and following along on this thread. Hope everyone has a very happy new year.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: AA, Amex, HH, MP
Thought I posted this but seems I did not..... x_X Got my second present a few days before xmas, and was it great! The coffee beans were awesome as well the coffee was enjoyed by all, literally all day every day till it was gone! Thanks
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:02 pm

One of my Santas was determined that I not open my present until Christmas, so it was sent to the alternate address. Apparently, USPS decided they didn't want me to open it even then, and hid it. It was just located last night, and I will open it once I'm at the alternate address this weekend.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100k, AS MVP Gold, National EE, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I just went to the post office and picked up a parcel from Sweden!

Amazing, thank you so much flyiboy!!!

Before

After

Last edited by YVRorange; Dec 28, 2016 at 10:03 am
Old Dec 27, 2016, 4:24 pm

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
<sigh> I mailed gifts to my Santee on Dec 12th. Sure hope they arrived as there's been no FT post yet that they did. <sigh> Perhaps my Santee is traveling. Just hope all is well and that my Santee is happy w/what I sent.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:27 pm

Here's the video of our cats checking out their gift from DevilDawg.

As you can see the by the Maine Coon's reaction, not everyone appreciates having to work for their meals.

Thanks to WIRunner for helping me with the video.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RockinRon
Opened my gifts from my SS today and love them! The Geek Dad's guide has a ton of great ideas and we'll put them to great use. We love playing "Would you rather" in the car and now with the deck, we'll get some new scenarios to play with. The first aid kit will be a great addition to my running gear and will be in the car with me during the winter!

Finally, not sure if this last item it from my SS or someone else but I also opened a T-shirt from Thailand and had a great laugh as we had just seen Rogue One yesterday and love both Star Wars and heavy metal.

Before

After

Shirt

Have a Merry Christmas SS! I really enjoy being a member of the Flytertalk community.
Rockin'Ron - I'll out myself - they are all from me, including the t-shirt. Enjoy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.