Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

How about a US total eclipse DO?; Aug. 21, 2017; let's start planning!

Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slocouple
(West to east)

Madras, OR:
wcrhkd

Dayton, OR:
2ruse

BOI (Ontario, Oregon):
jrl767
PWMTrav+family (tentative)
HkCaGu

SLE / Salem, OR:
Eastbay1K
Smiley90
C W

AS3382 PDX-MCI in flight, ID-WY
violist
lili
There are still window seats available on this flight
(though in coach and for lots of money)

Island Park, ID:
SLOCouple (probably driving to or near Rexburg)

JAC / Jackson Hole, WY:
Austin787 (watching at the airport)

CPR / Casper, WY:
pseudoswede + 6

AIA / Alliance, NE:
mhnadel
headinclouds (Sidney)

LNK / Lincoln, NE (driving west for viewing):
jerry305 +1
TheLifeOfA_NKCM + 3 (Staying in Omaha then driving somewhere near LNK)

MCI/Kansas City: (driving north or east into MO for viewing)
Sweet Willie
jackal (possibly; if I come, I'll drive up to STJ on 8/21; may also be near St. Clair, MO or Carbondale, IL)

STJ (north of MCI, MO):
ClaudiSTR
FriendlySkies

Evansville, IN:
mvitale + 1 (then driving to Carbondale, IL-ish for viewing)

BNA(/Hopkinsville, KY): (Click for URL)

Zorak
tmiw
HPN-HRL
diburning +1
financialhippie + family
exerda +1
l'etoile (likely watching in Gallatin)
trek87

GSP / Greenville–Spartanburg, SC:
SRQ Guy

CHS / Charleston, SC:
Mr. Vker
jrsinpdx
Brendan (I live there! )
yunicorner (will probably watch in Columbia at the capitol)
Herb687
BeachMiles
Print Wikipost

How about a US total eclipse DO?; Aug. 21, 2017; let's start planning!

Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
This might be of interest. The 1922 eclipse when they tested Einstein's theory of relativity.:

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles...tern-australia

And a bit about Hopkinsville, KY, arguably the spot with max totality. They got their first inquiry from someone interested almost ten years ago! Looks like hundreds of thousands will attend:

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles...obsessing-over

Last edited by toomanybooks; Aug 16, 2017 at 7:03 am
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
I'm having a last minute impulse to go see the total eclipse. Since there's not really any hotel rooms left in the path of totality at this point, I think I'm going to check the weather forecasts on Saturday morning and choose between approaching via either Knoxville or Charlotte, knowing that wherever we can find a room for Sunday will require us to drive the last 10-100 miles into the the total eclipse path on early Monday morning. Leaning toward TN if the weather is slated to be decent to avoid traffic coming down the I-95 "driveshed," though I'm sure traffic will be awful anywhere we go.

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I had an email from Amazon this morning informing me that the glasses I purchased could not be certified to the ISO standard and they would be refunding the purchase price. We will be throwing them out. I still have 2 pair of eclipse binoculars that do reference the ISO standard. I looked online and prices have increased considerably and what's left are bulk purchases. 100 pair of eclipse glasses anyone?
Got the same email; my cardboard glasses had the "Great Eclipse" design and the ISO label stamped on them, but apparently the seller did not manage to provide Amazon with documentation that they came from one of the small handful of AAS recommended manufacturers in time. It seems unfair to both buyers and sellers that Amazon waited so long to add this additional requirement above and beyond the ISO certification label, though understandable why Amazon would want to act with an overabundance of caution. I tested the glasses myself with a bright flashlight as recommended by AAS and believe that mine are OK to use despite Amazon's disclaimer.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:28 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Zorak
This is a fair point, although spelling out "SOLAR ECLIPSE -- EXPECT HEAVY/EXTREME TRAFFIC" would be better.
FWIW I drove westbound on I-24 out of CHA this morning, and in TN there was an overhead sign alternating between the messages of "PLAN AHEAD" and "EXPECT HEAVY TRAFFIC"
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:08 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Got itinerary booked:

AA2462 LAX-DFW connecting to AA1010 DFW-STL Saturday 19th August Scheduled departure from LAX 14h05 PDT
Scheduled arrival into STL 22h43 CDT

A friend of mine in the STL area is willing to take to the area of totality but details still need to be worked out as there are options to go south, southwest or west from STL. Where will depend at least part on the weather forecast which looks "pretty good" as of now.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:15 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Got itinerary booked:

AA2462 LAX-DFW connecting to AA1010 DFW-STL Saturday 19th August Scheduled departure from LAX 14h05 PDT
Scheduled arrival into STL 22h43 CDT

A friend of mine in the STL area is willing to take to the area of totality but details still need to be worked out as there are options to go south, southwest or west from STL. Where will depend at least part on the weather forecast which looks "pretty good" as of now.
I'm flying into STL as well and thinking Perryville, as it's an easy jaunt and they have a fair bit going on. Wherever we go, we are making an early start to avoid as much traffic and to enjoy as much local vibe as possible.

That I'm at the St Louis Hilton at $125 per night speaks to some pre-planning, and a conference rate.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Population of Wyoming: 500,000
Expected out-of-state visitors this weekend: 600,000

My plan is to re-fuel in Cheyenne, then refuel again the first thing I do when in Casper. That should give me enough gas to crawl back to Cheyenne and refuel for the journey home.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
I've only been an occasional reader here before finally joining these forums so I haven't been following this thread, but anyone flying into PDX or BOI should be ready for madness. Reports from people in Bend, OR are saying that a lot of the small towns along the path in central and eastern Oregon are already running out of gas and food.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Population of Wyoming: 500,000
Expected out-of-state visitors this weekend: 600,000

My plan is to re-fuel in Cheyenne, then refuel again the first thing I do when in Casper. That should give me enough gas to crawl back to Cheyenne and refuel for the journey home.
Another stat: Population of Oregon: 3.5 - 4 million
Expected eclipse visitors to Oregon: 1 million

Also an

And of course the expected 1 million could end up being more, or fewer.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Website that aggregates weather forecasts from many places along the eclipse route:

http://skythisweek.info/eclipse2017_...wy_weather.htm
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Website that aggregates weather forecasts from many places along the eclipse route:

I'll be in St. Joe. We're in that "20% chance of precip" range, but it looks like the forecast for everything north and west is "mostly sunny" with no mention of rain. That's a good sign.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

Teton, WY (near JAC) is calling for mostly sunny. Some other weather sources are calling for partly cloudy. We shall see.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by TuxTom
I've only been an occasional reader here before finally joining these forums so I haven't been following this thread, but anyone flying into PDX or BOI should be ready for madness. Reports from people in Bend, OR are saying that a lot of the small towns along the path in central and eastern Oregon are already running out of gas and food.
Hopefully my motel vending machine is well-stocked, and functional!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by TuxTom
I may be forced to cancel my trip at the last minute, but if I don't, I am bringing sufficient snack food with me to cover my needs. My rental car will have enough gas for a round trip. One benefit of doing this in a quick hit and run style trip.

Planning to be on the southern edge of totality band and driving south to get back to the airport as soon as totality ends, I have less concerns about traffic than most here seem to have.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
I expect the traffic jam out of the eclipse area, in some states, will be colossal.

Gas stations that don't normally sell out, will. Keep your gas tank full.
I'm bringing food & water, cash, pillows, sunscreen... stuff I wouldn't want to be without if I-80 is a parking lot. A lot of roads will be parking lots.

Good luck all.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:13 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I'm already with family in Salem, OR at the moment, so I won't have to brave the roads at all to see the eclipse. We are preparing for being housebound for a few days though.

I flew in from Germany for the visit on Tuesday in LH F. Airports didn't seem to be experiencing unusual volume at that time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.