Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

How about a US total eclipse DO?; Aug. 21, 2017; let's start planning!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slocouple
(West to east)

Madras, OR:
wcrhkd

Dayton, OR:
2ruse

BOI (Ontario, Oregon):
jrl767
PWMTrav+family (tentative)
HkCaGu

SLE / Salem, OR:
Eastbay1K
Smiley90
C W

AS3382 PDX-MCI in flight, ID-WY
violist
lili
There are still window seats available on this flight
(though in coach and for lots of money)

Island Park, ID:
SLOCouple (probably driving to or near Rexburg)

JAC / Jackson Hole, WY:
Austin787 (watching at the airport)

CPR / Casper, WY:
pseudoswede + 6

AIA / Alliance, NE:
mhnadel
headinclouds (Sidney)

LNK / Lincoln, NE (driving west for viewing):
jerry305 +1
TheLifeOfA_NKCM + 3 (Staying in Omaha then driving somewhere near LNK)

MCI/Kansas City: (driving north or east into MO for viewing)
Sweet Willie
jackal (possibly; if I come, I'll drive up to STJ on 8/21; may also be near St. Clair, MO or Carbondale, IL)

STJ (north of MCI, MO):
ClaudiSTR
FriendlySkies

Evansville, IN:
mvitale + 1 (then driving to Carbondale, IL-ish for viewing)

BNA(/Hopkinsville, KY): (Click for URL)

Zorak
tmiw
HPN-HRL
diburning +1
financialhippie + family
exerda +1
l'etoile (likely watching in Gallatin)
trek87

GSP / Greenville–Spartanburg, SC:
SRQ Guy

CHS / Charleston, SC:
Mr. Vker
jrsinpdx
Brendan (I live there! )
yunicorner (will probably watch in Columbia at the capitol)
Herb687
BeachMiles
Print Wikipost

How about a US total eclipse DO?; Aug. 21, 2017; let's start planning!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:48 pm

Well, I'm heading to western NE. Actually staying in Sidney, but that is minor distraction. Wide open space, decent roads and can go east or west fairly easily if the weather changes. Madras, OR has the best % of clear skies but it is limited to 1 or 2 narrow lane roads if you and 50,000 of your closest friends decide to move at once.

I have been lucky seeing what I call 11 out of 12. The last 2 eclipses (China 2009 and Australia 2012) were only viewed for about 40% of the alloted time. The other 10 eclispse were clear skies. As for scattered or broken, I would not worry too much about that. It has been known that a broken sky is clear enough a few miles down the road.

For those who are younger, there is another total solar eclipse in the USA in 2024 as well as 2 good eclipses in Chile/Argentina in 2019 and 2020. So if you are nearby the path of totality in the Eastern USA, just wait and see the day before.

The best sources are Jay Anderson's site, http://eclipsophile.com/ and the NASA site ( http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogl...21Tgoogle.html).

Previous eclipse DO's -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...ug-2008-a.html

Last edited by headinclouds; Nov 23, 2016 at 2:03 pm
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Wow! I live in Charleston SC in the path of totality! Darn it, I was planning to attend the Edmonton Fringe Festival of Aug. 17--27, but this is more important--and at home.
Oh well, I suppose I can fly to YEG on Aug. 22 for the second half!
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
I'm going to try for this one, what a sight!

I've got two options I think: Get to Alliance, NE area, where I have family to visit too. I'm currently planning on visiting them in June, but might have to move this to August for the eclipse..

OR use my Companion Pass to get to Charleston, Greenville/Spartanburg, Kansas City, or Nashville on a quick WN roundtrip.

Leaning towards rescheduling my family visit, such a cool sight to see!
Old Dec 31, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
NPR Science Friday was talking about the eclipse recently, and advised the likeliest place for clear skies (for optimal viewing) is probably Wyoming. Plan accordingly! lol

My brother lives just north of Kansas City, MO, so I will probably be in that area on Aug 21st.

Another cool option would to be in a moving vehicle along the path, maintaining totality for a longer time. (Is that even possible?)
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Nope, David, not possible! The umbra of totality will travel about 1000 mph/ 1600 km/h from the Pacific Coast of Oregon to the Atlantic Coast of South Carolina in about 2.5 hours! About the speed of a Concorde! Trying to chase it in a car or train @200 mph may add 30--40 seconds to the totality.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by Brendan
Nope, David, not possible! The umbra of totality will travel about 1000 mph/ 1600 km/h from the Pacific Coast of Oregon to the Atlantic Coast of South Carolina in about 2.5 hours! About the speed of a Concorde! Trying to chase it in a car or train @200 mph may add 30--40 seconds to the totality.
Hmm, if only Virgin Galactic was ready! Plenty of VX Elevate to burn
Old Jan 1, 2017, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Completely forgot this is going to happen, so I'm glad I saw the thread! Will spend the eclipse in KCMO since they show as having 2:40 of eclipse time. No need for a hotel since I'm only 45~ mins West.

Would be great to meet up with anybody who makes it out to KC for the eclipse.

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Jan 1, 2017 at 6:20 pm
Old Jan 2, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
We are planning for Nashville, from 19th to 22th August.
I have my eyes on a lake cottage, but they will start to accept booking from Feb.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Aug 2017 Solar Eclipse

Want to arrange a trip to see the 2.5hr duration as it passes over the US near the Kentucky/Tennessee border, but wife is less than interested when it comes to booking 4 tickets for us and our boys. Anyone know what else is near there--maybe even in the path of the eclipse--that would have more to do than just watch it get dark? I mean, that's enough for me, but I gotta sell this somehow or else I am going alone.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Mammoth Cave National Park for one. Also Land Between the Lakes Recreational area. Several years ago, my sister was looking into renting a houseboat for a few days there for her family.

Also, don't be surprised if this thread gets moved to the appropriate US regional forum instead of TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the info! Figured it might get moved but wasn't sure where to place it; not a usual visitor to the these other forums
Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
numerous FTers discussing it here
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by oneant
Want to arrange a trip to see the 2.5hr duration as it passes over the US near the Kentucky/Tennessee border, but wife is less than interested when it comes to booking 4 tickets for us and our boys. Anyone know what else is near there--maybe even in the path of the eclipse--that would have more to do than just watch it get dark? I mean, that's enough for me, but I gotta sell this somehow or else I am going alone.
While there's much to see in that area, the weather is not very favorable for getting to see the eclipse. You should head for Nebraska, Wyoming, Idaho, or eastern Oregon (east of the Cascade Mountains) for that.

Seeing a total eclipse is a fantastic experience. Make sure you're very near the red line marking the maximum duration of totality on this map. While the entire eclipse event lasts up to two and a half hours, the two minutes or less of totality are the really magical part.

Last edited by ajGoes; Jan 5, 2017 at 7:18 am Reason: Correct an egregious geographical error.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:04 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving this over to CommunityBuzz to join the existing discussion on this topic. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Another cool option would to be in a moving vehicle along the path, maintaining totality for a longer time. (Is that even possible?)
You really don't want to be in an enclosed space during totality. You should ideally be somewhere like an open field where you can see the shadow bands that appear to fly over the ground.

I witnessed the 1979 eclipse from The Dalles, WA, after an anxious drive over the Cascades through impenetrable fog. The experience was somewhat marred by the many light planes buzzing around -- we were near a small airport, something I suggest you avoid. I reflected afterwards that the unfortunate people in the planes had a worse experience though, not being able to appreciate the whole effect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.