Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Belgian Beer Festival DO VII in BRU, April 22-23, 2017

View Poll Results: Interest in Side Trip to Brewery?
I am interested in sharing costs of a car and/or driver for a one day trip
20.00%
I am interested in sharing costs of a car and/or driver for a two day, overnight, trip
60.00%
I may be interested, depending on the destination
20.00%
I am not interested
0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: polkacat
Attending
polkacat
arollins +5
ellyse +3
KMA26
miko2a
CDKing
srletend
iris30
ANC RED-EYE +1
island82

DO Information

Friday 21 April

6:00 pm drinks: Delirium Cafe (Be sure you go to Delirium Cafe, not Little Delirium!)

7:00 pm dinner: Bier Circus (capped at 12 persons)

Dinner Atendees: Polkacat +2, CDKing, krazykanuck, miko2a, miko2a +1, iris30, kma26, ANC RED-EYE, ANC RED-EYE+1, srletend

Saturday 22 April

Noon - 11 pm Zythos Bierfestival

Buy tokens in advance: http://www.zbf.be/en/advance-sales/
The list of beers is here.

For anyone who wants to travel in a group, I suggest IC 509 departing Central/Centraal at 11 am. This train arrives Leuven at 11:24.

For those who have not been before, if you travel on a train other than IC 509: exit the Leuven train station and bear right to get to the bus depot. The free shuttle to the hall is clearly marked and usually on the 3rd or so platform.

We will grab seats at a table toward the back on the right side of the main hall (in which all of the beer booths are located) as you walk in.

Sunday 23 April

Zythos Bierfestival 11 am - 9 pm

Possible alternate outing, TBD.
Print Wikipost

Belgian Beer Festival DO VII in BRU, April 22-23, 2017

Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ellyse
I will be coming with a Singaporean +1 and maybe my Belgian CouchSurfing host will also join as another +1.
The more, the merrier!

ETA: Happy Friday, folks - the full brewery list is now available on Facebook. You have 7 weeks to dream of Belgian beers and plot your strategy. Note that new this year, some beers will be two, rather than one, tokens.

Last edited by polkacat; Mar 3, 2017 at 10:15 am
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I am finding some incredible hotel deals for BRU on Hotwire. 4-star under $50.

For this month, so presumably higher in April, but might be worth a look if you have reserved for more.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:12 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
I'm trying to figure out my itinerary to visit several of the area trappist breweries around this time. Does anyone have advice? I'm finding that some are set up for visitors with tasting rooms and/or restaurants, and others seem to not be so open to visitors. Specifically Brouwerij Abdij Maria Toevlucht:

VISITS AND CONTACT

The brewery is not open to visitors in order to minimise any disruption to the silence in the abbey. Our beer is available in the abbey shop abdijwinkel as well as in the many cafés and shops in Zundert and the surrounding area.
So, it seems a visit to the Abbey shop may be as good as it gets there. Let me know if anyone has advice specifically about visiting trappist breweries - which to focus on, etc. Eventually, I'd like to visit them all to whatever degree possible - one down, ten to go!
Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
I'm trying to figure out my itinerary to visit several of the area trappist breweries around this time. Does anyone have advice? I'm finding that some are set up for visitors with tasting rooms and/or restaurants, and others seem to not be so open to visitors.

Let me know if anyone has advice specifically about visiting trappist breweries - which to focus on, etc. Eventually, I'd like to visit them all to whatever degree possible - one down, ten to go!
The Trappist breweries - and in fact, many Belgian breweries - can be tough to visit due to very restrictive open days/hours, tours only for large groups, no tasting room, etc.

Westvleteren may be the easiest to get to, with great rain service to nearby Poperinge. There's no official tasting room but the cafe In de Vrede serves all the beers on tap. Check days and hours before going. Hit nearby St. Bernardus while you're there.

Rochefort, Orval and Chimay are tough to get to without a car. Chimay has a big restaurant/tasting room, Rochefort has no tasting room but you can get the beer in town, Orval has a gift shop with a visitor and tasting center down the road.

I haven't been to Westmalle or Achel, so can't advise.

PM me if you have more questions, happy to answer!!!
Old Mar 15, 2017, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I'm trying to figure out my itinerary to visit several of the area trappist breweries around this time. Does anyone have advice? I'm finding that some are set up for visitors with tasting rooms and/or restaurants, and others seem to not be so open to visitors. Specifically Brouwerij Abdij Maria Toevlucht:

So, it seems a visit to the Abbey shop may be as good as it gets there. Let me know if anyone has advice specifically about visiting trappist breweries - which to focus on, etc. Eventually, I'd like to visit them all to whatever degree possible - one down, ten to go!
polkacat mentioned St. Bernardus. Not a monastery, but great beer, nice tour. If you can plan it, there is an excellent B&B immediately next door. Terrific, and part of the deal there is unlimited St. Bernardus beer from the fridge. Some good restaurants not terribly far. They have bikes you can borrow. KMA26 and I stayed there a few years ago.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Drinks and/or dinner on Friday 4/21?

Hello all, I'm trying to get a sense of interest in meeting up for pre-dinner drinks and/or a group dinner on Friday, April 21st. My thinking at this point would be to meet for a beer around 6:30 pm and then have dinner around 7:30 pm.

If you are planning to be in Brussels on that Friday, please take this super-quick survey by March 29th to give me an idea of how many are interested. And feel free to leave comments in the survey if you have other thoughts on the times.

Thanks!

Last edited by polkacat; Mar 20, 2017 at 3:36 pm
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by polkacat
The Trappist breweries - and in fact, many Belgian breweries - can be tough to visit due to very restrictive open days/hours, tours only for large groups, no tasting room, etc.

Westvleteren may be the easiest to get to, with great rain service to nearby Poperinge. There's no official tasting room but the cafe In de Vrede serves all the beers on tap. Check days and hours before going. Hit nearby St. Bernardus while you're there.

Rochefort, Orval and Chimay are tough to get to without a car. Chimay has a big restaurant/tasting room, Rochefort has no tasting room but you can get the beer in town, Orval has a gift shop with a visitor and tasting center down the road.

I haven't been to Westmalle or Achel, so can't advise.

PM me if you have more questions, happy to answer!!!
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
polkacat mentioned St. Bernardus. Not a monastery, but great beer, nice tour. If you can plan it, there is an excellent B&B immediately next door. Terrific, and part of the deal there is unlimited St. Bernardus beer from the fridge. Some good restaurants not terribly far. They have bikes you can borrow. KMA26 and I stayed there a few years ago.
Thanks for these answers and recommendations. We are most likely renting a car, which from the sounds of things is the recommendation. I am hoping we can visit each of the trappist breweries to whatever degree possible. Thanks again!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: WP
Anyone taking trains from AMS or AMS Centraal?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

ZBF beer list is up

See all the beers at http://www.zbf.be/bieren/bierlijst/.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by polkacat
Im still in shock on how many WOW!!!!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:09 pm

Can anyone recommend which area in Brussels would be best to look for a hotel for a first time visitor? Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Can anyone recommend which area in Brussels would be best to look for a hotel for a first time visitor? Thanks!
Any place close to Grand Place (city center) is good, which is also close to the central train station. Numerous metro stops, lots of restaurants, bars, all within walking distance along with several sightseeing areas. Hotels could be pricey, but there are deals, Accor hotels had a 4th night free. Another option is by midi south station, but the area does not have much sightseeing, and is a bit industrial, however, it's close to Cantillon and Moede Lambic (spelling), where some of us will be at. This area tends to be the cheapest one. Another good area is by the EU parliaments, hotels are cheap on weekends, several bars and restaurants in the area as well. We are staying here, the Radisson Red.

Both midi south/zud and EU parliament area are within 20-30 minute walking to city center, or just 1-2 metro stops. Metros are very efficient and punctual, they run every 3-5 minutes, much sporadic at nightime. I think cost was 1.60 EUR one way. Normally I stay at the Radisson Blue by the Grand Place, and it's very convenient. I've also stayed at the Sheraton Aloft by Schuman station, used to get deals at 49EUR, that was a good one as well. This time we are trying the Radisson Red, I'm hearding a group of 3 couples, myself/spouse included, we opted to use metro.

Last edited by arollins; Mar 28, 2017 at 8:28 pm
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I'm booked at the Marriott Renaissance Brussels Friday through Monday. KMA26 is booked there also. They still have 69EUR rates for Friday and Saturday. Sunday is a bit higher. Seems it's (basically) next door to the Radisson RED.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm debating if I want to Hilton hop and do 2 nights at the Hilton Brussels City, and 1 night at the Grand Hilton in the middle (so I net 3 stay credits).

Currently booked at a flexible rate at the HGI but it definitely seems a bit off the beaten path.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I'm debating if I want to Hilton hop and do 2 nights at the Hilton Brussels City, and 1 night at the Grand Hilton in the middle (so I net 3 stay credits).

Currently booked at a flexible rate at the HGI but it definitely seems a bit off the beaten path.
The HGI is a little off the beaten path. I'd also note that I think that location is uphill from Midi and the city center (as is the EU area), so for those who prefer walking to transit, it's good to know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.