Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Belgian Beer Festival DO VII in BRU, April 22-23, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Interest in Side Trip to Brewery?
I am interested in sharing costs of a car and/or driver for a one day trip
20.00%
I am interested in sharing costs of a car and/or driver for a two day, overnight, trip
60.00%
I may be interested, depending on the destination
20.00%
I am not interested
0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: polkacat
Attending
polkacat
arollins +5
ellyse +3
KMA26
miko2a
CDKing
srletend
iris30
ANC RED-EYE +1
island82

DO Information

Friday 21 April

6:00 pm drinks: Delirium Cafe (Be sure you go to Delirium Cafe, not Little Delirium!)

7:00 pm dinner: Bier Circus (capped at 12 persons)

Dinner Atendees: Polkacat +2, CDKing, krazykanuck, miko2a, miko2a +1, iris30, kma26, ANC RED-EYE, ANC RED-EYE+1, srletend

Saturday 22 April

Noon - 11 pm Zythos Bierfestival

Buy tokens in advance: http://www.zbf.be/en/advance-sales/
The list of beers is here.

For anyone who wants to travel in a group, I suggest IC 509 departing Central/Centraal at 11 am. This train arrives Leuven at 11:24.

For those who have not been before, if you travel on a train other than IC 509: exit the Leuven train station and bear right to get to the bus depot. The free shuttle to the hall is clearly marked and usually on the 3rd or so platform.

We will grab seats at a table toward the back on the right side of the main hall (in which all of the beer booths are located) as you walk in.

Sunday 23 April

Zythos Bierfestival 11 am - 9 pm

Possible alternate outing, TBD.
Print Wikipost

Belgian Beer Festival DO VII in BRU, April 22-23, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by polkacat
Awesome!

ellyse, so glad you will join us! If you want any input on what to see or do in Belgium, let us know.
Thanks for the welcome! Suggestions on what NOT to do might actually be more helpful since I currently already have more things than I can see in the available time, LOL.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ellyse
Are we going to spend 2 full days just drinking beer?
Ha ha ha. Some folks will spend 7 days drinking beer.

Another fun stop if you are heading out to Westvleteren is a tour at the St. Bernardus Brewery nearby. You can get between them, and to the nearby train station in Poperinge, by the little local "Belbus," which you call to reserve. Just a couple Euro and very convenient.

There is a very nice B&B immediately next to St. Bernardus, well worth a stay. Some good restaurants not far.

Westvleteren 12 was for years called the best beer in the world. Nowadays other styles are more popular, but it is probably top ten. Of its type, it cannot be improved upon.

You cannot tour Westvleteren itself, but you can always get their beer at the pub across the road called "In De Vrede." Generally available to buy in 6-packs to go. Officially, this is the only place you can buy the beer, unless you win the periodic lottery to buy directly from the monks. Unofficially there are bars where you can get it in Brussels from "under the counter" for maybe 10-15 Euro.

Make sure you check the In De Vrede schedule, for they are closed sometimes.

Then in Oostvleteren nearby there is a great brewery called Struise.

Between there and Brussels is a place walking distance from the train line often named the #1 beer restaurant in the world. De Heeren van Liedekercke. Once had an epic lunch (beef stew, salad, fries) there over several hours with small glasses of way too many beers to count, many you never see. Ran about $35. Maybe the best lunch of my life.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Aug 31, 2016 at 4:12 pm
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Ha ha ha. Some folks will spend 7 days drinking beer.
Whaaaaa?!

There is a very nice B&B immediately next to St. Bernardus, well worth a stay. Some good restaurants not far.
I will note that "not far" is by bike or Belbus. Not much within walking distance.

Make sure you check the In De Vrede schedule, for they are closed sometimes.
Usually when I want to go.

Then in Oostvleteren nearby there is a great brewery called Struise.
They also have very limited hours so check before going. They do have a tasting room in Bruges in the small square behind the main square.

Between there and Brussels is a place walking distance from the train line often named the #1 beer restaurant in the world. De Heeren van Liedekercke. Once had an epic lunch (beef stew, salad, fries) there over several hours with small glasses of way too many beers to count, many you never see. Ran about $35. Maybe the best lunch of my life.
Those of us who arrived early this year had lunch at De Heeren, and agree - the food was fantastic, as was the beer selection.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus; American Advantage; Marriott Rewards; Hilton Honors

I will note that "not far" is by bike or Belbus. Not much within walking distance.

Those of us who arrived early this year had lunch at De Heeren, and agree - the food was fantastic, as was the beer selection.
Agreed -- this year's lunch at De Heeren was even more memorable than my two prior visits because we were able to dine outside in glorious weather!

They do have bikes (not the greatest but functional) at the St. Bernardus B&B which make some good restaurants doable.

Put me on the list for this Do again. Have hotel reservations in Brussels already for that weekend but will be looking for pre or post Do side trips.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KMA26
Put me on the list for this Do again. Have hotel reservations in Brussels already for that weekend but will be looking for pre or post Do side trips.
Excellent!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:03 pm

You forgot to mention the super awesome beer truffles!!! Best chocolates ever.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 3:25 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by KMA26
In case you or anyone else is interested, here's my itinerary so far:
Tue 18/4: half day in Ljubljana 0950-1410 (after deducting time taken for airport bus, etc), then JP394 to BRU arriving at 1820, train to Bruges
Wed 19/4: Bruges
Thu 20/4: Bruges, most probably late afternoon train to Ghent
Fri 21/4: Ghent
Sat 22/4: morning train to Leuven for the Zythos beer festival
Sun 23/4: morning train to Brussels
Mon 24/4: Brussels
Tue 25/4: SK594 to CPH 1030-1200, half day in Copenhagen roughly 1245-1615, then SK997 to PVG departing at 1840

I'm at a loss on how to fit in Westvletren, although it sounds heavenly. As for De Heeren, if we are all interested enough, maybe we can meet there on Sat for lunch, before proceeding to Leuven for an afternoon and evening of beer?
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
You forgot to mention the super awesome beer truffles!!! Best chocolates ever.
OMG you're right, how did I do that?!?! They are the best I've had.

ellyse, lunch at De Heeren is a several hour affair and best done on a day with few or no other plans. In fact a general tip for Belgium is that things generally tend to take much longer than you would expect, so always allow extra time!
Old Sep 3, 2016, 9:10 am

ellyse, lunch at De Heeren is a several hour affair and best done on a day with few or no other plans. In fact a general tip for Belgium is that things generally tend to take much longer than you would expect, so always allow extra time!
Oh dear, ok -frown- uh, should I plan on lunch at De Heeren on Sat, and then the beer festival on Sun, then?
Old Sep 4, 2016, 8:01 am
Original Poster

ellyse, I suggest De Heeren on Sunday, as the larger number of Flyertalkers will go to the festival on Saturday.

Also, just came across this nice little list of Belgian beers.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I have some KLM credit I'm gonna need to use by this time. If I can snag a decent J fare from the US or Canada, I might show up. Put me in the "interested" column.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
It's a way off yet but certainly tempting, please put me down as a maybe
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I have some KLM credit I'm gonna need to use by this time. If I can snag a decent J fare from the US or Canada, I might show up. Put me in the "interested" column.
Excellent. If you can't get direct to BRU, the train ride from AMS is not too bad.

Originally Posted by hcuk94
It's a way off yet but certainly tempting, please put me down as a maybe
All the better to find a good fare.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:22 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Some great ideas in this thread. Alas, I won't make it to this DO, but it has given me a lot of info for a family DO at another time. ^^
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1P
Some great ideas in this thread. Alas, I won't make it to this DO, but it has given me a lot of info for a family DO at another time. ^^
Sorry to hear you can't make it. Belgium is a wonderful country, and if you ever have more questions feel free to PM me - arollins, KMA26 and toomanybooks are all very knowledgeable as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.