Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

"If I ran FlyerTalk..."

"If I ran FlyerTalk..."

Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Contrary to some of the opinions here about moderation, I'd amp up the moderation level in one specific way: I'd moderate new threads from new users by default.

The only two forms of noise that are of any particular annoyance to me are spam (there was a wave of it this morning) and people who show up here, mistake it for an airline's feedback form, vent about how Airline X must be a scam because they wanted $200 to change a flight, and never come back.

A moderation queue for any new threads from people who have posted fewer than ten times or whatever would fix it quickly.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I would look at ways to improve the ability to guide people asking for help, especially first-time posters:

1. When someone with a post count of less than, say, ten tries to post, I would have a screen come up that asks them to be sure that they have included sufficient information to allow for meaningful responses. Tell them that specific details, such as whether the trip is on one or multiple tickets, specific date, are required to be able to receive good responses. And ask them to be sure that their thread title is meaningful .

2. There used to be an unofficial policy that threads with no recent activity not be revived. This should be a formal policy, with threads auto-closing after x months of inactivityyour (possibly going into a special closed-thread archive that would show up in searches).

3. Some moderators seem to be reluctant to, if not outright refuse to, change or update thread titles, even when the change would be very helpful to subsequent readers. If someone goes to the trouble of notifying a mod about a misleading or obsolete title, the mod should have no issue with using their discretion to correct the title.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jul 23, 2016 at 11:17 am
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Make it a true social experience.

And the Voldemort thing.

And the mobile thing.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: FT
are you going to allow people to violate the T&C's with their views?

well others have raised it but seriously fix the moderation problem that borders far to often on censorship and favoritism.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:41 pm

1. Prohibit moderators from moderating content about themselves. In general, have some sort of moderation review, so concerns about moderation are decided by someone who isn't biased, rather than the same person whose actions raised concerns.

2. Change your censorship algorithm to prevent clbuttic (sic) errors. Or better, just remove it altogether. It's stupid nannying; let people express themselves as they wish, and let others respond to that as they deem appropriate. It also breaks links, like google documents, that contain the letter sequence W T F in the URL.

In general, I think that the moderation does cross the line to being biased censorship. For instance, on the TS&S forum, it's censored to disparage TSA screeners as a group … but not to disparage disabled people as a group. I do not think that censorship of this sort is an appropriate way to de-escalate hot conversations, let alone as a first pass action.

Pointing out where people are being improperly rude, and asking them to refocus on issues, requires *social* interaction and a calming voice — not censorship.

3. Allow people using Facebook login to add a username/password so there's an alternative login option (and so it works on mobile, and so it's possible to get email notifications).

4. Have a policy about moderating trolls, and permit posters to publicly call other posters on inappropriate behavior, rather than having the objections themselves be censored.

Last edited by saizai; Jul 20, 2016 at 2:46 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by mkjr
are you going to allow people to violate the T&C's with their views?

well others have raised it but seriously fix the moderation problem that borders far to often on censorship and favoritism.
The moderation problem seems to also be that if one questions or even mentions moderation, there's a problem.

I'd also suggest having set term limits for moderators, and engaging other members of the community to serve as moderators.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Agree that moderation can sometimes be overly enthusiastic (the thread about Delta service at SJC a few months ago is a great example of mod overreach).
Originally Posted by 84fiero
In no particular order...

1. Reform the moderator concept in general, including:

- Reduce the scope of what can be moderated to cut down on over-reach
- Require better transparency as to some moderator actions
- Listen and respond to constructive feedback about moderator actions and remove the rule making it a thought crime to discuss or comment about moderation (assuming it is respectful, civil, etc).
This. ^

Some moderators are great, but others constantly overreach. At a minimum, it should be Ok to question their action or ask for detail without being punished. This is supposed to be a community, not a dictatorship.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by puls
Contrary to some of the opinions here about moderation, I'd amp up the moderation level in one specific way: I'd moderate new threads from new users by default.
That's an interesting idea. I'm of the view that most forums would benefit from more Moderator intervention, not less. Train the newbies to browse, to search, to use descriptive and searchable thread titles (not clickbait).

Limiting the number of new threads started per unit of time - per forum, or across Flyertalk - would also work to filter out the lazy who won't check the T&C's of the miles program/credit card/hotel program.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:24 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
+1

Originally Posted by hoyateach
I'd bring Randy back. And increase the minimum OMNI access requirements.

That said, you guys do run a pretty tight ship. I appreciate that you are soliciting feedback.
Also the comments about the mobile site... I agree it is subpar. I like the low tech emojis. Just add a few more maybe?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kipper
The moderation problem seems to also be that if one questions or even mentions moderation, there's a problem.

I'd also suggest having set term limits for moderators, and engaging other members of the community to serve as moderators.
As it wouldn't be a good idea to get into a slanging match in public it's best to contact Moderators through PM where I feel pretty confident they would be happy to explain their actions.

I agree with your second point. Too often we see new Moderators and Ambassadors selected in secret when a position becomes available. The process needs to be made more transparent.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
The mobile app needs significant improvement. It should be updated.

Also - the search functionality leaves a lot to be desired. When I type search words into your search box I don't directly find what I seek. But when I type the same words into Google and site:flyertalk it appears more easily. That shouldn't occur.

On a lesser note a few more emojis and a like button would be nice. But if you enhanced the two things above I'd be pretty happy.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
I'd have a way to rate posts up or down. If not that, at least a way to 'like' a post to encourage quality posts. Then tie this to a user's profile, show how many points or likes they have.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Cool

What do you love about FT and wouldn't change?

The simple layout

What do you (ahem) not love, and would immediately change?

Moderation is a total disgrace and appalling (to be clear, bad both ways - not enough removed and what should not be removed is removed). It is no wonder most stay away from FT. When someone hits the report button something should happen (but often does not).

What do you miss about the way it "used to be"?

See point above. Most who were quality have departed due to, again, point above.

Is there something that keeps you from enjoying or using FT as much as you would like?

Again, simple, moderation. Oh and step up banning folks who are out of control.

Beyond that, yes mobile site is bad. I switch to desktop on my phone.

Yes a thumbs up and thumbs down button would be smart.

Lastly, how about rewarding those who start threads and bring VALUE to FT rather than those who simply comment 10,000 as "+1" and become a legend. How about some REV based rewards for users? @:-)

Last edited by Renes Points; Jul 20, 2016 at 5:09 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
A real mobile experience, like every other modern forum out there, would be nice.

A thumbs up/down or like/dislike system would be nice.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:29 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
* Use keyword analysis to suggest similar threads when someone is creating a new thread. (See community.smartthings.com for an example)

* When someone creates a new thread, encourage them to tag it with appropriate keywords.

* Develop a set of guidelines that ensure (relative) consistency between related forums. For example, in a number of the airline forums, there are threads that have hundreds or thousands of posts. Some forums will routinely close such threads when they become outdated and start new ones. In other forums, the same type of thread will drag out for years. (See, for example, the "definitive Delta in-flight food" thread, which has 4300 posts dating back 7 years. I think it's safe to say that the past 6 years might not be relevant or "definitive" in 2016.) Should there be some consistent standards re. sunsetting threads?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.