Korea Do - Seoul April 16-18, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Korea Do - Seoul April 16-18, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I'm interested. Hopefully my work situation would allow me to attend.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by nme7
I do not believe it is possible to fly into GMP from the US anymore. It used to be possible in the past, before ICN was built. But now almost all intl flights are through ICN. If you prefer to fly into GMP, then your choices would be Haneda, Beijing or Shanghai Hongqiao.

But if you want to fly to Korea direct from the US, then ICN is your airport. In terms of the difference, time-wise, between ICN and GMP is about 20-30 minutes more commute from Seoul. ICN is a much nicer airport also.
I would definitely pick HND out of those 3. IIRC you can do a sterile transit.
In PEK you need to go through immigration almost for every international transit flight - and I almost missed my connection to PVG when I flew in from TLV just 2 months ago, had I not cut the queue of Israelis at immigration (they had no chance of making it to their flights, I did), had no check-in luggage, and also ran out of the diplomatic line at customs instead of going through the bag scanner like everyone else.
SHA has pretty limited international flights, only to HKG, GMP, HND and TSA, IIRC. Anything else arrives at PVG which is all the way across the (very big and crowded) city, you'll need to lug all your luggage along when changing airports and it's a hassle.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
This thread is a bit quiet recently, so I thought I'd revive it!

I am trying to find the best area to stay while in Seoul to be closer to most of the DO activities. For the Japan Do, it's easy, everything is centered around Shinjuku station but for Seoul, the recommended hotels are a little more spread out.

Is it best to stay around myeongdong or Dongdaemun or Gangnam? Looking at the Pullman Grand ambassador which appears decent. But if the majority stay in Gangnam, I might look there instead.
I don't know, but why did no one suggest the Insadong/Bukchon area? I'm not one for the expensive hotel chains, and there are lots of cute, atmospheric hanok guesthouses in this area. It would be a much more local and unique experience.
Otherwise for the 3 areas named, Myeongdong > Dongdaemun > Gangnam.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
I generally like to stay in mid to upper scale hotel (but not luxury). Like 3.5 to 4 star. I have my mind set on the ibis styles Abassador Seoul myeongdong or the Pullman. I like to be in the centre of the action, and don't mind staying along other tourists.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Originally Posted by ellyse
I don't know, but why did no one suggest the Insadong/Bukchon area? I'm not one for the expensive hotel chains, and there are lots of cute, atmospheric hanok guesthouses in this area. It would be a much more local and unique experience.
There are quite a few of them and new ones are always popping up. The only concern I would have is if the experience is a bit too authentic. Things such as sleeping on the heated floor and having to use an outhouse for a bathroom. Having said that, with the internet today you can find out almost anything about the guesthouse before booking a reservation.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium / HH Diamond / Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
After reading this trip report on FT I booked a First Class award to fly NRT-ICN on Asiana 744 in April 2014. I believe there was only one daily flight with F on this route. Unfortunately OZ suspended the First Class service between NRT and ICN shortly before I had a chance to try it.

According to this trip report the video linked looks like from a flight in the First Class cabin but with a Business Class service.

Since the only reason to fly NRT-ICN was to experience OZ F, I changed the award to fly HND-GMP in Business with a similar timing as the one above.
Originally Posted by TravelKane
I found a bus class seat on OZ103, NRT>ICN. Is this the flight you are talking about? My info (seat guru, which is not always correct) shows this as a three cabin 747 with 1st in the nose & bus up stairs.
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Yes, OZ103 sounds like the flight featured in the trip report I mentioned earlier. Some Business Class passengers may be able to sit in the First Class cabin but with a Business Class service.
Originally Posted by TravelKane
Booked:

OZ103 NRT 13:30 - ICN 16:10
After all that. They have done an aircraft change. To: A330-300
Old Oct 9, 2016, 5:33 pm

Count me in!

Will be staying at the PH.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

PH = Park Hyatt? Plaza Hotel?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 6:58 pm

Park Hyatt, sorry. Haven't been there in a while, and the Do is just the excuse I needed!

I know it's somewhat inconveniently located, but I really do like it.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Looks like I'll be along - staying up the hill at the GH ...
Old Oct 16, 2016, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Doing research to prevent any problems when FTers visit in April.
Attached Images  
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Ah yes, the renowned "Headbanging gate of Soju".
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Ah yes, the renowned "Headbanging gate of Soju".
Yes! You have made offerings at this temple before?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by nme7
Yes! You have made offerings at this temple before?
No comment.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: AA 1MM EXP 2015, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Diamond Marriott Silver Alamo Budget Hertz
Originally Posted by ellyse

Myeongdong and Dongdaemun are closer to the palaces and probably where most of the DO events might take place. Gangnam is south of the Han river and would require more travel times.
Gangnam literally means "South of the River".Wikipedia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.