Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R.I.P. thadocta

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
R.I.P. thadocta

Only just found out from another FT'er (Bundy Bear) that thadocta may be deceased.

At present I can't confirm but friends on his Facebook page started posting RIP's and condolences - apparently he was found deceased this morning (I don't know any other details).

Haven't seen him in a couple of years, but he was meant to come to an FT Do in February but pulled out at the last moment. He always spoke his mind and will be missed on the BA and QF Forums in particular (and GLBST).

Will come back with confirmation.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:36 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by QF WP
Only just found out from another FT'er (Bundy Bear) that thadocta may be deceased.

If so, that's sad news. He's been a long time active member on FlyerTalk. He joined May 8, 2001. His last activity was on March 24, 2016.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:15 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by QF WP

At present I can't confirm but friends on his Facebook page started posting RIP's and condolences - apparently he was found deceased this morning (I don't know any other details).

Haven't seen him in a couple of years, but he was meant to come to an FT Do in February but pulled out at the last moment. He always spoke his mind and will be missed on the BA and QF Forums in particular (and GLBST).

Looks like it has been confirmed, unfortunately
http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...ml#post1422323
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Rest in Peace mate.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 3:14 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
RIP thadocta
Old Apr 1, 2016, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Spent quite a few lounge hours with Dave - I last spoke with him during the 2015 FT QF AGm on a tour of the Qantas BNE maintenance facility.

RIP.

Old Apr 1, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Sad to hear, and way way too young. He was informative online, if sometimes a little abrasive, but I got on well enough with him on the several occasions I met him.

RIP.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:54 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
RIP thadocta
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sorry to hear this sad news.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
AS you read FT, sometimes the comments made over time mean that you remember the "handle" and take the time to read comments made by the owner of that handle... Even if you may not universally agree with all the comments.

May you be happy with your new wanderings, thadocta

Fred
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
I checked my iMessages and we'd been chatting on and off since 2008 on that medium - my last chat with him was in January around his attendance at the Flyertalk QF AGM in late February, but it clashed with another event he wanted to attend.

His funeral is on Thursday, 7th at Leura.

Last edited by QF WP; Apr 6, 2016 at 6:11 pm
Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Very saddened to hear this news.

Always had pleasant exchanges with thadocta and meeting him at one of the AGM's in BNE.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
RIP Dave.

I was planning a trip to Oz, and Katoomba in particular- Dave reached out in PM and was very helpful. He offered to meet up an grab a beer when we were chatting many months before.

A week before my trip, around March 4, I followed up to grab a beer or coffee and heard nothing. Plans change, I just figured he had a change of heart or maybe over-committed.

I was there march 16-17.

I was particularly struck by his reaching out to me as a obvious yank. Sure he had some rough edges as we all get from time to time. But Id come to respect his opinions.

I was on my way home from Cairns (to SYD then USA) when I read this... such very sad news. My thoughts are with his family.

Know that Dave was a warm spot in my Katoomba planning and experience, but now with a bit of poignancy.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Great story Exec_Plat. Nothing comes up on his FB posts around that date (ie. no posts between 2nd and 6th March), so I know that he was probably attending Mardi Gras in Sydney (as he couldn't attend a FT function that I had in BNE on 5th March). Why he didn't contact you afterwards - I can't comment, only he knew the answer.

He worked as a volunteer for the South Katoomba Rural Fire Board and I note that they had crews out for 7 days (3 individual cases of lost women in bushland) around your arrival dates here, so that may have been a reason he didn't contact you at that point.

Interestingly, his profile on Australian Frequent Flyer is rather poignant:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.