Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Film, food, and FT in Hong Kong Halloween 2015

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Film, food, and FT in Hong Kong Halloween 2015

A friend and I will be in Hong Kong and Macau for 9 days at the end of Oct and beginning of Nov. Last year there was a successful FT DO around those dates. I’m not proposing to organize an FT DO, more an informal meet up. We are both fans of the HKG films (met the director Heiward Mak at her screening of Diva last week in Washington DC). Other activities such as dim sum, happy valley races, hike in NT, etc. are best done in a group. So, if anyone is interested, let us know.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:34 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
bummer, I'm already traveling during this timeframe.

Sounds fun!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I might be up for it again this year. Specific dates?

Still bummed I missed out on the IC brunch. Haven't found anyone to go with since. No one wants to shell out $900 for a meal, or pay for me. lol.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: QF WP
You might want to drop by the Hong Kong Film Archive and catch a HK movie (probably made in the 60s). Perhaps not my cup of tea but they have something on every weekend.

Also, Happy Valley will have a day race on Sunday 1 Nov (as opposed to the usual Wednesday nights) so you won't need to head out to Shatin, although apart from that, the end of Oct/start of Nov is pretty quiet in terms of local racing schedule.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
You might want to drop by the Hong Kong Film Archive and catch a HK movie (probably made in the 60s). Perhaps not my cup of tea but they have something on every weekend.

Also, Happy Valley will have a day race on Sunday 1 Nov (as opposed to the usual Wednesday nights) so you won't need to head out to Shatin, although apart from that, the end of Oct/start of Nov is pretty quiet in terms of local racing schedule.
It has been pretty quiet on this thread The HKG film archive schedule is interesting enough for us film fans. And the Sunday day race at Happy value is good since we arrive late on a Wed, then leave HKG the following Wed.

Does anyone know if dim sum is till served at City Hall on the weekends? I remember being there in 2005/2006 during a small FT DO. Of course it is better with more than 2 people.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:30 am
Original Poster

What about Halloween that weekend? Any must do or go to places?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
You'll either love or hate the zoo that is Lan Kwai Fong on Halloween, particularly when it falls on a Saturday - search "LKF Halloween" on Youtube for some idea.

It's also the Rugby World Cup final on the Saturday at 11pm local time so that will fill the expat bars in all areas.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by headinclouds
Does anyone know if dim sum is till served at City Hall on the weekends? I remember being there in 2005/2006 during a small FT DO. Of course it is better with more than 2 people.
I wasn't around back then, but if you're referring to Maxim's Palace, then it's still there. http://www.maxims.com.hk/en/main.asp It's listed under Chinese cuisine > Cantonese > Maxim's Palace, and you would be looking for the Central City Hall location.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:13 am

After all those months on FT I still have no clue what a DO is. But as long as it involves booze (i will just have to assume it does) i am in!

Either way, wouldn't this thread get significantly more attention from locals in the HK forum?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:54 am
Original Poster

For anyone who is interested, there is a walk on the 'other' side of HKG that I scheduled on Friday afternoon 30-Oct. Details http://www.hansens-hikes.com/Urban-H...mptations.html
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Two of us FT'ers (me DCA, other NYC) will be in HKG for 3 nights Oct 30-Nov 2. Although we get in late on Friday night. Could be interested on Sat night, Oct 31st.

More details?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:13 am

Not sure when you'll be in HKG, but keep an eye out for typhoons next week. There are a couple brewing out in the West Pacific Ocean at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.