Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

OzFest #13. "Gold Coast Queensland" Australia. Memorial Day Weekend, May 27-29, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
OzFest #13. "Gold Coast Queensland" Australia. Memorial Day Weekend, May 27-29, 2016

Booking site: www.trybooking.com/Booking/BookingEventSummary.aspx?eid=199270

Activity Summary:

We set up a web based reservation system to book and pay for activities: later
Google doc link for activities. Click activities tab. Note is very much work in progress. Just getting working now

Friday
18:30 dinner at Seascape Restaurant, 4 The Esplanade, Surfers Paradise QLD 4217. A short walk from the Hilton. AU$61

Saturday
The day bus trip on Saturday is to Byron Bay. Australia's most easterly point. Starting from the Hilton at 09:00 ~ 09:30 and return about 15:30. AU$40.

For those not going to BB other activities will be suggested

Saturday Evening
Oz Fest 13 official dinner 18:30 Kurrawa Surf Life Saving Club, Old Burleigh Road, Broadbeach QLD 4218
Please make you own way to the venue. Handy to a rail tram stop.
Pay on the night to the venue. Please indicate your attendance on the reservation link, so we advise the venue how many will attend

Sunday morning
A tour, by Oz Fest bus, to Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary where you have the option of having your photo taken with a koala. A great spot for lunch a short walk from CWS, is the Currumbin Vikings Surf Club, which has great views up and down the beach and is very close to Coolangatta Airport (OOL) for those people flying out Sunday afternoon. The Oz Fest bus can drop off at the airport. AU$50

Sunday Evening
Casual dinner at a local venue for those still in the Gold Coast. May be organised on the day.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Oz Fest
Oz Fest had done better than that ^
And Oz Fest will transport you to/from Currumbin.
Excellent.

If lunch is near Currumbin then I can head back to Brisbane after lunch as the free bus comes straight past the Wildlife Sanctuary.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
16 May Load car and depart from home
[Er, let's skip ahead a bit... )

24/25 May TG475 BKK-SYD

26 May QF862 SYD-OOL

(Hilton Surfers Paradise)

31 May QF863 OOL-SYD

(Holiday Inn Old Sydney)

2 June OZ602 SYD-ICN, etc.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Decided to book a redemption flight for Monday 30th with QF in J. Will allow me to check through my bags and not need to wait 2 hours at SYD for the BA checkin to open.

QF863 OOL-SYD 0915-1045

I will also check in for my VA flight in case the QF flight is delayed for any reason as I can't afford to miss my flight home. For 9000 avios and Ł10.70 it's worth it for the insurance.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
I need to update the spreadsheet with our flights.....
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Just wanted to note for anyone going (or considering) that there is currently (as of 10:17AM CDT 4/29/16) one saver J award with QF LAX-BNE departing Wednesday, May 25th, arriving morning of the 27th. BNE-OOL is just a quick train ride, perfect timing!
Old May 1, 2016, 4:11 pm
Oz Fest organizers

Payment link for Ozfest13 activities now live

Hi everyone

The payment link is now live for Ozfest13 Gold Coast. Either of the following links will take you there.
https://www.trybooking.com/LIUG
https://www.trybooking.com/199270
If you are going to all activities please only select the first item. (Au$151) No need to select any other option.

Post 4 has details of the activities.

Note:
For the Friday dinner we need to confirm numbers on Wednesday morning (25 May). If you register after that time you may or may not be able to attend. It will depend on the venue as to if they will accept more reservations from our group.

Last edited by Oz Fest; May 4, 2016 at 11:13 am
Old May 1, 2016, 6:03 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
We are all paid up.

A reminder that I will be doing name tags again - if I have done a correct tag for you previously then I have your details. If I have done a wrong tag for you in the past please remind me!

Name tags will include your FT handle, preferred name and your home airport code.

To give you an idea of what they are, here's a (ancient!) sample:

Audrey
Old May 1, 2016, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Itsalongwaydown
On Monday we can probably drive several people to Brisbane if they wish as we need to get a car and head to the north coast on a day trip.
What time of day are you planning to depart OOL/Hilton? I'd be interested but I presume my flight timing might be too early.
Old May 2, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: QF OWE, NZ EP, Le Club Gold, HH Silver
I'm all paid up for the events, looking forward to seeing everyone!
Old May 2, 2016, 2:28 am

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Just wanted to note for anyone going (or considering) that there is currently (as of 10:17AM CDT 4/29/16) one saver J award with QF LAX-BNE departing Wednesday, May 25th, arriving morning of the 27th. BNE-OOL is just a quick train ride, perfect timing!
I'm pretty sure this is phantom availability - it's actually been showing for 4 or 5 days.... Though a 5/25 J seat avail on QF appears on both the AA and AS websites, it errors out when you try to book. I even checked with the AS partner desk; they could not access it either. Kinda weird, but essentially N/A.
Old May 2, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
All paid up $151

Originally Posted by falconea
A reminder that I will be doing name tags again - if I have done a correct tag for you previously then I have your details. If I have done a wrong tag for you in the past please remind me!

Name tags will include your FT handle, preferred name and your home airport code.

To give you an idea of what they are, here's a (ancient!) sample:

Audrey
FT Handle: Jamier45
Preferred name: Jamie
Home airport: MME
Old May 2, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
I'm afraid I need to downgrade to Bronze.

I ran the numbers and simply don't have enough vacation days to make Oz Fest #13 work. (Oh, and I also can't find any confirmable business class upgrades across the Pacific for any dates that would make sense for me.)

I'm going to miss catching up with friends and enjoying Aussie hospitality; hopefully I'll be able to make next year's event.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by gvdIAD

I ran the numbers and simply don't have enough vacation days to make Oz Fest #13 work. (Oh, and I also can't find any confirmable business class upgrades across the Pacific for any dates that would make sense for me.)

I'm going to miss catching up with friends and enjoying Aussie hospitality; hopefully I'll be able to make next year's event.
Great sadness. And you have attended 9 of the previous 12 Oz Fests!
Old May 2, 2016, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by gvdIAD
That is a shame; I'm sure I and others will catch up with you again soon enough ...

Last edited by serfty; May 2, 2016 at 3:35 pm
Old May 2, 2016, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'm not paid up yet. will take care of before the end of the week. My bank account balance is too low. Luckily 2 paydays before i leave and one on my way back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.