Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

OzFest #13. "Gold Coast Queensland" Australia. Memorial Day Weekend, May 27-29, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
OzFest #13. "Gold Coast Queensland" Australia. Memorial Day Weekend, May 27-29, 2016

Booking site: www.trybooking.com/Booking/BookingEventSummary.aspx?eid=199270

Activity Summary:

We set up a web based reservation system to book and pay for activities: later
Google doc link for activities. Click activities tab. Note is very much work in progress. Just getting working now

Friday
18:30 dinner at Seascape Restaurant, 4 The Esplanade, Surfers Paradise QLD 4217. A short walk from the Hilton. AU$61

Saturday
The day bus trip on Saturday is to Byron Bay. Australia's most easterly point. Starting from the Hilton at 09:00 ~ 09:30 and return about 15:30. AU$40.

For those not going to BB other activities will be suggested

Saturday Evening
Oz Fest 13 official dinner 18:30 Kurrawa Surf Life Saving Club, Old Burleigh Road, Broadbeach QLD 4218
Please make you own way to the venue. Handy to a rail tram stop.
Pay on the night to the venue. Please indicate your attendance on the reservation link, so we advise the venue how many will attend

Sunday morning
A tour, by Oz Fest bus, to Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary where you have the option of having your photo taken with a koala. A great spot for lunch a short walk from CWS, is the Currumbin Vikings Surf Club, which has great views up and down the beach and is very close to Coolangatta Airport (OOL) for those people flying out Sunday afternoon. The Oz Fest bus can drop off at the airport. AU$50

Sunday Evening
Casual dinner at a local venue for those still in the Gold Coast. May be organised on the day.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:03 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Plat No 0010XXX, AA Plat 2 MM, Sinbad Blue, HHonors Dia., Marriott Titanium, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
fantastic deal, if your vacation time can stomach transiting Europe to get to Asia!

I'm dealing with a flight issue myself. I'm booked on AA F on an AA express ERJ from IAH-LAX, and then onward the next morning on CX F to HKG. They have since opened up biz saver space from IAH-LAX via both DFW or CLT. Is it worth taking an extra segment to get 2 mainline flights and 2 different planes? Or not worth the risk of IRROPS?
Up to you. But IAH-DFW-LAX should be fairly safe if IRROPS, due to the frequent flights in the afternoon for your final leg.
I had a new 787 for a flight DFW-LAX a few days ago. I assume that operating aircraft is not available under a biz saver award. See what aircraft are avail.

Otherwise, just stay direct.
I would not route via CLT, with a CX F seat waiting the next morning. As a great man often says - Happy Wandering! John.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Qantas just moved my Monday OOL-SYD flight from 1115 to 0915 which is just too early for me to deal with public transit to the airport. Had them rebook me on an afternoon flight instead which works better for me and allows some flexibility to get to the airport. Looks like that same flight still goes out at 1115 on Sunday for anyone on it.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:28 am

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
Platinum for me please
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:03 pm

I should be able to make it. Even if it is just for a day.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:33 am

I'm Platinum ... I'm not staying in the hotel in Gold Coast. driving from Brissy.

Can you please give me a timetable about tour.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:50 pm

Working our way towards Platinum. Once I have booked the Circle Pacific tickets and the Bali hotels will put our names down as Platinum. May gave to bite the proverbial bullet and book the Hilton SP. Planning to fly to Syd and then take the train after a couple of days there.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:03 pm
Oz Fest organizers

Originally Posted by Bluesky
I'm Platinum ... I'm not staying in the hotel in Gold Coast. driving from Brissy.

Can you please give me a timetable about tour.
You have been added to post 3 attendees.

Activities will be posted in post 4 when organised

Situation Vacant
However Oz Fest 13 is looking for a CEO :-: (refer to post 4)
A BNE person has offered to help, but we need a CEO and/or more local knowledge
Maybe at the QF FT AGM 5th March in BNE some one can be persuaded to step forward.

+++++++++++++++
Subscribe to this thread using thread tools (top of the page).
Or just click here: Subscribe to Oz Fest 13 Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

Last edited by Oz Fest; Feb 16, 2016 at 5:15 pm
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:51 am

Have been keeping an eye on prices of a few Mantra hotels which have been hovering between $US90-95 for quite a while, so haven't been in a rush to book. Hilton was a little higher than I wanted to spend. Noticed today that the price of the Hilton has dropped down into my price range and have booked there. The advance purchase nonrefundable rate is $A149 ($US106).
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Have been keeping an eye on prices of a few Mantra hotels which have been hovering between $US90-95 for quite a while, so haven't been in a rush to book. Hilton was a little higher than I wanted to spend. Noticed today that the price of the Hilton has dropped down into my price range and have booked there. The advance purchase nonrefundable rate is $A149 ($US106).
Thanks for the heads-up, Tom! ^ We have just now changed our booking from points.

At the moment there are two advance purchase rates. We chose the Short Escape rate for the same price. We might use one or two of the benefits since we're staying five nights, specifically two Salt Grill dinner vouchers @AU$25 each and a 2-for-1 cocktail voucher for FIX Bar (maximum value AU $18). The others we already have or won't need: free WiFi, standard car parking for one vehicle, and daily 2-for-1 buffet breakfast vouchers.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Hmm. Where exactly did you get this rate? I do not see the Hilton on Mantra.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:26 pm

I initially saw the Hilton sale on Expedia when they sent me a discount code I was playing with. I did the actual booking on the Hilton site being that I get free wi-fi booking with them and not with Expedia. Just checked and it's still there at $A149 a night. I did book for four nights so certainly possible if you're booking some other variation the rate may be different.

The Mantra brand hotels go on sale on their own website every few weeks, and booking.com also has them for around $US90-95 on the low end. Mantra on View, which used to be an Outrigger property, prices at $US95 a night right now on booking.com for a 4 night stay.

Originally Posted by Fredd
We chose the Short Escape rate for the same price. We might use one or two of the benefits since we're staying five nights, specifically two Salt Grill dinner vouchers @AU$25 each and a 2-for-1 cocktail voucher for FIX Bar (maximum value AU $18).
I clicked on the rate details for that and couldn't get anything to come up in my browser, but that could have been a chrome issue. Didn't want to lose the rate and booked the advance purchase rate instead. I see the breakfast buffet, which I don't get, is $A39, so can just imagine what dinner might be there. No shortage of restaurants and cafes there.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Just checked and it's still there at $A149 a night. I did book for four nights so certainly possible if you're booking some other variation the rate may be different.
I see the rate at the Hilton site for a four night stay. The best I can do for two nights so far is $135 USD from various sources. Hilton kindly offers $253 AUD/night for a two night stay!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The advance purchase rate is really tempting. Pricing out at $426 USD for 4 nights. Not bad at all. I was toying around with doing Airbnb, but for ~$100 more do the Hilton, probably get exec lounge access, and not have to worry about a private room in a shared place seems worth it. Now the uniquely flyertalk problem of deciding between charging it to my Hilton Reserve which would earn lots of points, or my Chase Ink which earns 2x pts and I have a min spend to meet.

Where are you seeing what's included in the best escapes rate?

Last edited by krazykanuck; Feb 16, 2016 at 9:04 pm
Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Is it worth cancelling and paying in advance for the sake of A$35?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Jamier45
Is it worth cancelling and paying in advance for the sake of A$35?
Only you can answer that.

Three months out and I really only looking at Flex rates.

I did book way out (4 nights for AU$780 at a Team USA rate) but this week changed to 4 nights for AU$672 at govt rate). I could save a further $10 by booking the four nights separatly but for that cost KISS wins out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.