Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

OzFest #13. "Gold Coast Queensland" Australia. Memorial Day Weekend, May 27-29, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
OzFest #13. "Gold Coast Queensland" Australia. Memorial Day Weekend, May 27-29, 2016

Booking site: www.trybooking.com/Booking/BookingEventSummary.aspx?eid=199270

Activity Summary:

We set up a web based reservation system to book and pay for activities: later
Google doc link for activities. Click activities tab. Note is very much work in progress. Just getting working now

Friday
18:30 dinner at Seascape Restaurant, 4 The Esplanade, Surfers Paradise QLD 4217. A short walk from the Hilton. AU$61

Saturday
The day bus trip on Saturday is to Byron Bay. Australia's most easterly point. Starting from the Hilton at 09:00 ~ 09:30 and return about 15:30. AU$40.

For those not going to BB other activities will be suggested

Saturday Evening
Oz Fest 13 official dinner 18:30 Kurrawa Surf Life Saving Club, Old Burleigh Road, Broadbeach QLD 4218
Please make you own way to the venue. Handy to a rail tram stop.
Pay on the night to the venue. Please indicate your attendance on the reservation link, so we advise the venue how many will attend

Sunday morning
A tour, by Oz Fest bus, to Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary where you have the option of having your photo taken with a koala. A great spot for lunch a short walk from CWS, is the Currumbin Vikings Surf Club, which has great views up and down the beach and is very close to Coolangatta Airport (OOL) for those people flying out Sunday afternoon. The Oz Fest bus can drop off at the airport. AU$50

Sunday Evening
Casual dinner at a local venue for those still in the Gold Coast. May be organised on the day.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:57 pm
Oz Fest organizers

Welcome aboard ^
Originally Posted by hartlogan
Is there a code for the Hilton, or is it still just single combat at this point?
The Hilton is single combat at this stage. Just make you own arrangements
Old Dec 11, 2015, 12:08 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Wow, I can't believe it's been almost 3 month since I last logged in and an explanation is forthcoming.

As some of the local FT'ers know, I've had the pleasure (I use this in the loosest of terms ) of having to create a new business, mostly from the ground up, as my brother decided to sell his part of our business as he is getting out of the industry and is moving overseas in late January 2016 indefinitely (probably to be based in Berlin after a long holiday touring Europe - lucky guy ).

The remaining business partner and I decided it was best to separate the remaining business into our own new companies. So I've been burning the candle at both ends day and night since then (with the workload really ramping up in June as we wanted the separation and tax aspects done early in the 15/16 FY to give us a full year of working through the (capital gains) issues.

With the new office opening on 4 January, I'll be back to (relatively) normal programming and will be contacting those people who expressed a desire to assist in the planning (looks at a couple of locals who put their hands up to be on the organising committee). Travel time has been cut by over an hour every day and my stress levels will come back to manageable levels. I'll be looking to have regular meetings with the organising committee to get the events decided and locked in.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: QF P1,UA 1K,HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Newbie question,
What does bronze, silver, gold, platinum mean? I thought it was QF status? Is that correct?
Thanks
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by windycityf
Newbie question,
What does bronze, silver, gold, platinum mean? I thought it was QF status? Is that correct?
Thanks
Its just level of commitment in going to DO. Definitions of each are listed in post 4. No relation to elite status except the metal.

Platinum - Confirmed
Gold - Probable- Maybe
Silver - Interested
Bronze - can't make it
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:00 am

CDKing
Thanks. Totally makes sense now. I saw that post, but it was just not clicking....
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:26 am

Programs: First Time Flyer
There is another QF sale (ends tonight).

I think I will sit tight for the time being.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 5:59 am

Attending. Looking forward to meet everyone.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:14 am

Platinum
I am booked at the Hilton
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Does anybody know any good promo codes for the BNE Airtrain? Decent value at the online purchase rates w/o codes, but every Aussie $ counts!

Last week I finally booked my flight from HKG-MEL and my VA flight from MEL-BNE. Stopping in MEL to visit with an old family friend. Looking forward to a fun week away!

Last edited by krazykanuck; Jan 10, 2016 at 10:21 pm
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
Accommodation booked for 2 nights at Jupiters Gold Coast from 27 May 2016 - 29 May 2016.

Flights to be booked later.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:56 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
I've encountered a major hurdle at work which means Mrs QF WP and I are going to have to bow out of organising ozfest #13. I may be able to lend my assistance with my QF & VA contacts if they are needed towards the events.

Whilst my new business opened its doors on 4th Jan and seems to be running relatively smoothly, my Practice Manager has come to me and wants to take all of April as holidays, so that she can travel with her daughter and S-i-L to Europe (they convinced her to join them).

For a small business (there are only the 3 of us in the business), with her as my right hand [and having as much experience in the business as me], having to cover her position means that Mrs QF WP will be working an extra day per week until April (training) and an extra 2 days/week (in April) to cover the workload (and I will be trying to cover the remainder - thus taking me away from income earning / client facing time).

We need to consider our business first (as it gives 3/4 of our household income) and as much as I don't want to let down ozfest #13, I have to agree with Mrs QF WP's concerns that I can't "do both" during that month - one is bound to suffer.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:00 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by perthite
Mark me down as Gold.
Add +1 to the gold list as well....
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Qantas sale from the U.S. underway with fares as low as $999, and AA has matched. I just cancelled my AA award ticket in Qantas business and rebooked with AA segments LAX-SYD-LAX so I can get on the upgrade list and take my chances. Have a good track record with AA - have only missed one international upgrade in 15 years - so pretty optimistic this will clear with the advance booking and can't overlook the 32,000 miles it brings in before the upcoming program changes.

Hopefully some U.S. members might also be able to jump on this good sale.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
KLM and Air France have a promo for business class travel between Canada and Asia. I'm seeing CAD$3200 round trip between Montreal (a car ride for me) and either HKG or BKK. Still have to get to Oz from there, but that's easy. What's more, both airlines route via Europe, so more miles!!
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Efrem
KLM and Air France have a promo for business class travel between Canada and Asia. I'm seeing CAD$3200 round trip ...
fantastic deal, if your vacation time can stomach transiting Europe to get to Asia!

I'm dealing with a flight issue myself. I'm booked on AA F on an AA express ERJ from IAH-LAX, and then onward the next morning on CX F to HKG. They have since opened up biz saver space from IAH-LAX via both DFW or CLT. Is it worth taking an extra segment to get 2 mainline flights and 2 different planes? Or not worth the risk of IRROPS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.