Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Japan Do #4 - Osaka - March 25-27, 2016

Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Thurs, 24 March
  • Welcome drinks 7:00pm (The In Place, Osaka Hilton, 1st Floor, Lobby Level)

Friday, 25 March
Saturday, 26 March
* Attendees * How to get to Osaka * Osaka Subway Map *
Print Wikipost

Japan Do #4 - Osaka - March 25-27, 2016

Old Apr 8, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by pudgym29
Next time you visit Osaka, maybe you should ride the shinkansen from Shin-Osaka to Tokyo, and fly out of NRT (or go to Shinagawa and fly from HND!).
I took the shinkansen from Kyoto to Shinagawa/HND on Saturday night. FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC. I think I love Japanese trains even more than Japanese airlines.

$120 walk-up fare, $50 upgrade to "business", no security, no turbulence, no noise, lots of space, frequent departures right from the city centre - soooo much more civilized than flying! If only they had free champagne....

The capsule hotel at HND, however, was less impressive. Didn't sleep a wink. Made up for it on OZ's A380 though.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by pudgym29
Next time you visit Osaka, maybe you should ride the shinkansen from Shin-Osaka to Tokyo, and fly out of NRT (or go to Shinagawa and fly from HND!).
I flew out of NRT after finishing a Kansai trip during Sakura season last year. Honestly it wasn't any better. Would've missed my flight if I didn't unashamedly go to the very top of the immigration queue and ask people if they would be kind enough to let me go first.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Thanks to NewbieRunner for organizing another great Do.

Japan is so different to places like the US and Australia, so it is nice to be immersed in a different culture even just for a few days.

It was good to catch up with some regulars but also good to meet new people as well.

Penegal and SQ421 you both need to try harder to attend in the future.

Thanks also to serfty in suggesting flights and accommodation, made it so much easier for me, it felt like a holiday.

It was nice that a few cherry blossom trees decided to make an appearance.

I have added a dinner photo to the Facebook group.

Until next year or when ever I next catch up with a few of you in another part of the world.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Just Curious - Any Plans for a 2017 Japan Do?

No pressure....my flights to Japan @next Easter are already booked.

After 4 failed attempts to join in on the fun, I'd love to coordinate my plans and hopefully attend #5! That said, if an executive decision has already been made to skip 2017, that would also be good to know.

Thanks
Old Jun 19, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
I'm anxious to know as well . I'm one keystroke away from booking as well!
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:42 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bk3day
No pressure....my flights to Japan @next Easter are already booked.

After 4 failed attempts to join in on the fun, I'd love to coordinate my plans and hopefully attend #5! That said, if an executive decision has already been made to skip 2017, that would also be good to know.
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
I'm anxious to know as well . I'm one keystroke away from booking as well!
Trying to get the thread starter to actually attend the Do is harder than you think but we are doing our best. The organisers can't quite decide where the Do will be, somewhere new vs. availability of international chain hotels. However, there is also a suggestion of a proper post-Do, so watch this space!
Old Jun 19, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Trying to get the thread starter to actually attend the Do is harder than you think but we are doing our best. The organisers can't quite decide where the Do will be, somewhere new vs. availability of international chain hotels. However, there is also a suggestion of a proper post-Do, so watch this space!
^ Glad to read that discussions are ongoing! I add my voice to those looking forward to attending for the first time.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 3:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I would love to attend the next Japan do, last time I visited was 7 years ago and cannot wait to go back AND meet some FTers! When do you reckon will we know the place and time, just so I can organise my workload and book my redemption flights with BA/JL well in advance
Old Jun 19, 2016, 5:10 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I would love to attend the next Japan do, last time I visited was 7 years ago and cannot wait to go back AND meet some FTers! When do you reckon will we know the place and time, just so I can organise my workload and book my redemption flights with BA/JL well in advance
The date as in previous years will be at Easter, 14-16 April 2017.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The date as in previous years will be at Easter, 14-16 April 2017.
And the place? Award space is disappearing (taken) already.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by BOB W
It'll most likely be in Japan.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Sykes
It'll most likely be in Japan.
Ding!!!!
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
In prior years I have been simply locking in some of the few premium seats to/from TYO and working it out from there.

Last edited by serfty; Jun 20, 2016 at 3:55 pm
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Booked mine into NGO last week. That was the only space that CX had CTS is a bit light on chain properties- but like the idea.

Hope AS comes out with the JL awards soon... as I really enjoyed the return experience ^

And thanks again for the immediate past one. Lots of cool people we met- even brand new FTers. And a few hungry deer
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I am looking at redeeming my Virgin Atlantic on ANA F from LHR, but availability is not great, so might have to go revenue on BA and use my GUF.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.