Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Favor? Anyone traveling from NYC to Narita in the upcoming week?

Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

I thought I would throw this out there as a last resort here on FT. I have been traveling since October and am currently in New Zealand. I am flying back to the states but with a stopover in Japan, with the intention of going snowboarding and checking out the onsens in Hokkaido.

However, all my gear is in my tiny NYC apartment and through my small social circle, have been unable to find someone flying through Narita in the next week or so.

I know this is a bit random, but hoping someone might be making this route and I would be happy to arrange a car service to the airport with you and have the bag ready for transport.

I'm happy to verify in video chat, FB, linkedin for anyone who is doubtful. I really just want to have my gear (as I'm 6'5") while going down the mountain!

Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Seems like renting might be simpler.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Boghopper
Seems like renting might be simpler.
I don't even have great gear but I totally understand the OP wanting their own stuff. Rental boards and boots in Japan are crap and some places won't have boots to fit.

I'd gladly help if I was flying this week or knew a friend who was, but unfortunately not this time. Hope you find someone though.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life

Why not have it shipped? With the cost of car service and the extra fees for the airline extra baggage for the perhaps courier cost it seems if your small group of friends could package it and ship, problem solved
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

UPS being cheaper than Fedex was still roughly $500.

@dvs7310 Can you share your renting experiences with greater detail? Renting may be my only option. I called ahead and then do have sz 13 boots for me apparently.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by tallassazn
UPS being cheaper than Fedex was still roughly $500.

@dvs7310 Can you share your renting experiences with greater detail? Renting may be my only option. I called ahead and then do have sz 13 boots for me apparently.
Which ski jo (ski resort) are you heading to anyway? Going to Naeba tomorrow myself.

Most places have quite basic Solomon boards that are equipped specifically for the rental market, all quick change fittings on the bindings, etc. Boots are more often than not generic, I've seen about every type of boot fastener on them at various places but don't expect very stiff support or perfect fit. The biggest downside is boot size, you're going somewhere that sees a fair number of western visitors it sounds like because sz 13 is well in excess of 30cm and that's the biggest many places carry, even shops if you want to go buy a pair in Tokyo rarely carry much over 28cm (I run 28.5cm-29cm, 10-10.5 US size, depending on brand, so even that's a headache).

When you arrive, you have to fill out a form, some places may have bi-lingual forms but many won't. You'll also need to show your id, so have your passport with you. Ski resorts are one of the very few places in the countryside where you can usually count on finding an English speaker to help you if needed. Even some places like Hakuba and Niseko are staffed with foreigners quite frequently.

The last thing I'll mention isn't about rental gear but about resort conditions in general. The ones nearest Tokyo (Yuzawa area in Niigata and Karuizawa area in Nagano) have very little powder and any they had in the morning is quickly hard packed and icy by mid-afternoon. If you want more powder then Naeba in Niigata is usually ok, then Hakuba in Nagano, a bit further since there is no shinkansen train service, and finally the mother of all Japan ski areas, Niseko in Hokkaido (I only mention it last because it's not day trippable from Tokyo, I rarely stay overnight)
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Whoever takes you up on this will be lying when they tell the check-in agent that they packed the bag themselves...
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joejones
Whoever takes you up on this will be lying when they tell the check-in agent that they packed the bag themselves...
Which the agents in US-based locales do not ask anymore - as it is no longer mandated.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Niseko in Hokkaido (I only mention it last because it's not day trippable from Tokyo, I rarely stay overnight)
The OP specifically said he was going to Hokkaido, so I don't think there's a problem there.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by aacharya
Which the agents in US-based locales do not ask anymore - as it is no longer mandated.
True.
but let's be honest and practical here. How many of us would carry stuff for strangers across borders ? We lay international and politely decline any and all requests from friends.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.