Community
Wiki Posts
Search

16th Annual BRT (Brooklyn Reality Tour) June 13, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
It was a fantastic Do this year, Dan. Even the Green-Wood Cemetery "visit" (being in the parking lot for a few minutes) whetted our appetite for next year, when we probably will get a tour organized in advance! (Right?)
Wrong. They offer a 2 hour tour of the cemetery.
No way will we waste 2 hours. Maybe you could organize something for those in town on Friday or Sunday. @:-)

Constructive suggestions are always appreciated. ^
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Wrong. They offer a 2 hour tour of the cemetery.
No way will we waste 2 hours. Maybe you could organize something for those in town on Friday or Sunday. @:-)

Constructive suggestions are always appreciated. ^
They offer 2-hour trolley tours of the cemetery on Wednesdays and Sundays. One could book those individually via the website:

https://www.green-wood.com/calendar/.../trolley-tour/

In addition, there are other events open to the public:

http://www.green-wood.com/calendar/

As well, private tours can be booked, but as you learned, those are also 2-hour trolley tours.

But, there is also this:

Attention Tour Guides
We also welcome tour guides to bring outside groups to Green-Wood. Independent tour leaders must contact Chelsea Dowell at [email protected] or 718-210-3071 in advance to schedule the tour. Failure to register your tour with Green-Wood may result in denial of access to Green-Wood for your group. There is a $5 fee for each person attending your tour; these funds assist the Green-Wood Historic Fund in its ongoing preservation and restoration efforts at the cemetery.

So, one can conduct one's own tour, and it doesn't have to last two hours, as long as appropriate arrangements are made in advance.

http://www.green-wood.com/2010/private-group-tours/

(Did they tell you there was a limit on the number of people you could bring on your own tour?)
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Kathy,

The CatManDo gave birth to BRT.
BRT gave birth to SoupDo and WineDo.

You're more than welcome to set up a Green-Wood CemeteryDo on Friday or Sunday. Any enhancement to the weekend activities are ^

When I read on the website that the tour was 2 hours, I didn't bother to follow up.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
I thoroughly enjoyed this year's BRT. Thank you Dan!

Looking at some photos I took at Green Wood, I noticed something unexpected:

There is a large bird nest surrounding the middle spire of the entrance gateway, and living inside the nest is a green parrot-like bird.

Last edited by Middle_Seat; Jun 24, 2015 at 11:01 am
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Kathy,

The CatManDo gave birth to BRT.
BRT gave birth to SoupDo and WineDo.

You're more than welcome to set up a Green-Wood CemeteryDo on Friday or Sunday. Any enhancement to the weekend activities are ^

When I read on the website that the tour was 2 hours, I didn't bother to follow up.
I think I've done all the research on Green-Wood that I'm going to do, for now, as reported in my post above. Next time I visit NYC, I will probably book myself a seat on one of the regularly-scheduled, open-to-the-public trolley tours, which occur only on Wednesdays and Sundays. After I've experienced that tour, I may have some further ideas on the matter.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat

Looking at some photos I took at Green Wood, I noticed something unexpected:

There is a large bird nest surrounding the middle spire of the entrance gateway, and living inside the nest is a green parrot-like bird.
I spoke about this a year or 2 ago. Years ago, parrots escaped from a shipment at JFK. They can be spotted in many telephone poles. Funny thing is that I never knew this until I accidentialy discovered this little known fact.

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I think I've done all the research on Green-Wood that I'm going to do, for now, as reported in my post above. Next time I visit NYC, I will probably book myself a seat on one of the regularly-scheduled, open-to-the-public trolley tours, which occur only on Wednesdays and Sundays. After I've experienced that tour, I may have some further ideas on the matter.
^

dh
Old Jun 26, 2015, 4:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Speaking of Brooklyn, this weekend is the 100th Anniversary of the Brooklyn Manhattan Transit Corporation and in celebration you can ride a vintage train!

So-called nostalgia trains from the BMT era will be put into regular service this weekend from noon to 4 p.m., beginning at the Brighton Beach Q station.
NYC’s Gorgeous Old Trains are Back for the Weekend
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

End of an era - Fiorentinos closing their doors

For the oldtimers on BRT > https://www.facebook.com/Fiorentinos...message_bubble
We had lots of good times there over the years. ^

Stay tuned for the 2016 BRT thread.

dh
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:19 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
thread closed at OP's request.

Thank you,

Willie
co mod CommunityBuzz

PS: Please see this thread for BRT 2016: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...11-2016-a.html

-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.