Wiki Posts
Search

WineDo 7.1/7.5 - Saturday, Jan-24-2015, NYC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by DLroads
monitor , 2002 Pierre Paillard
frantic. , Something even better than 2002 Pierre Paillard ;-)
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA, UA
I'm in. Wine TBD, probably a dessert/sweet wine.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
You can put me down for a Salmanazar of André as a placeholder. Fear not, it might not cost even $35 and I'll have to pick something that costs a lot more in a much smaller bottle.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by CMK10
This sounds like a lot of fun, put me on the tentative list ^

I don't know much about wine but what better way to learn, right?
Even at the $35 buy in, you can get some delicious champagne. :-:

DLroads, I'll ask Anna cordelli if she wants to join us. FYI, Janice is a probable + 1.

Good morning from Novato California.

Visiting:

Peay
Bedrock
Sojourn.

dh
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
The list is updated to reflect current confirmed/tent/maybe/mia but sending us some wine participants

As dhammer53 noted, you can get some delicious champagne (and if you need help, you can always source from my micro cellar and help me release some space ;-) )
I will employ dhammer53's other rule and note that couples (plus) can bring one bottle set at twice the minimum. I don't think we will run short of bubbles given the audience track record of stepping up, bringing bonus bottles, etc.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
May I join? Please put me as confirmed for Saturday 1/24/2015. Thank you BobW for the alert to this event.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Disaster averted. Earlier today I booked a mileage run that weekend. Luckily i was able to find the same flights on a different weekend for the same price. Whew, so glad i double checked the dates in time
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Location and time

To ensure the best fresh fish and seafood available, we reserve space at a better Greek spot where the owner will personally fly to Greece to get us the best fish around...
Ithaka, 308 East 86 Street, NY, NY,

Nothing better than some good fish and seafood, fresh, and with good reputation for the bubbles. Is it all Greek for you?

We will set the tentative starting time at 6:30pm.

To meet the audience's demand for something new, exciting and well fit with good wine, I have been talking with the restaurant manager, and met him at the location today with Greek fellows, the chef, the owner, the owner's father, and the family (in other words, 50% of Greece was there today ;-) ) . The restaurant is working with us to ensure that we can have the best wine tasting, and the best fish and menu they can offer. Basically, we will have about six main dishes to choose, plus appetizers, plus desserts, plus... well, I gained weight by thinking about it

The estimated cost is $90 per person all in (that is tip, tax, corkage, food, server et al). Any leftover above the collection will go to the Jason Dahl scholarship (in the tradition of all previous wineDO events) . You may also donate directly here, of course.

Paypal and check addresses were sent in a PM. If you cleared the list after 12-11-2014, or did not receive the message, PM me for details

We will work with them the menu details as well, and they will also make offers on the basis of the bubbles offered.

They will give us a dedicated seating area (the picture below gives the general view, but there will be a longer table for us in lieu of the small tables there), or across the hall. Our seating area max at 22-24 guests. We are currently at 23-24. Basically, waiting list is now opened. Of course, all relevant arrangements for the tasting (glasses, et. al) are fully covered as well.

Hope you're going fishing, because the fish in that place is really fresh

Last edited by DLroads; Dec 15, 2014 at 12:53 pm Reason: Location change and better pricing
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, HH, MR, Emirates
I've been to that restaurant. Great foods. I am in.

This is my first for a wine Do. How does it work for wine? I prefer to bring champagne.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LuxurySuite

This is my first for a wine Do. How does it work for wine? I prefer to bring champagne.
It's works great with the wineDO. This wineDO's theme happen to be:

Bubbly, bubbles, and things that go well with bubbles (see post #1). I will add you to the list. Please see details re: minimums, wines advisory board, et al on post #1. For the rest, I will page dhammer53
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wish I could, but the date is likely to be impossible for me. However, if I had seen the notice earlier, I might have bought one of the DL "sale" domestic FC tickets (that were available through the 3rd of November for travel through mid-February, but sadly they're gone as well as most of the G A P inventory) for the weekend and then I would have had to make the schedule work.

I guess this makes me unlikely.

Too bad. It sounds so tempting.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LuxurySuite

Champagne will be just the thing this year since DLroads has made it the focus of the evening. I think that we will bring one grower Champagne and another that, in the light of the restaurant chosen, will be something else that really goes with the fish, maybe something from Greece.

I guess my research into Greek wines (about which I know very little more than how to spell Assyrtiko) will start this weekend since we have been invited to a dinner at a seafood restaurant in DC with a menu that is almost a dead ringer to that of Avra.

Last edited by monitor; Nov 5, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
(1) Do they not have a wine list on their website? (I know, I know, we're bringing our own, but I'm curious as to what they select for their own menu.)

(2) I'm flying transcon to eat fresh fresh fish? Oh, the sacrifices I make. On the other hand, the bubbles will be "much fresher" as they will be consumed closer to France.

Looks deelish
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by monitor
I think that we will bring one grower Champagne
^ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grower_Champagne

My son lives close by. They have delicious food. Can't wait. Nice job on the preparation DLroads.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Too bad. It sounds so tempting.
We will eat extra fish for you. But, if you want to change your mind, there are FC sales on *A (United for less than 520 on FC MSP-LGA)

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
(1) Do they not have a wine list on their website? ...
Not that I could find. But maybe third party websites will.

Originally Posted by monitor
...I think that we will bring one grower Champagne and another that, in the light of the restaurant chosen, will be something else that really goes with the fish, maybe something from Greece.
I am somewhat certain your research will be fruitful

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.