Wiki Posts
Search

DO it Wright - Dayton, OH - Dates TBD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
DO it Wright - Dayton, OH - Dates TBD

The topic of hosting a Dayton DO has come up a few times in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...come-5761.html, so I've decided to make a thread to judge interest. I may or may not be the lead POC for the event itself.

Dayton is the home of the Wright Brothers, and there are numerous historical sites relating to the history of aviation in the area. I won't spend too long detailing them here, but this TripAdvisor page does an excellent job. In short, there are a collection of sites run by the National Park Service, including the Wright Cycle Co, and the National Museum of the US Air Force.

The Air Force Museum consists of three hangars open to the public and a fourth hangar within the base complex that is only open to those with base access. I have a friend who volunteers at the museum, so I'll talk to him about setting up a behind-the-scenes tour. I'll also look into seeing if our group could get permission to access the fourth hangar.

GRALISTAR and I are both new to the area, but we have been scouting out the local watering holes. The Oregon District contains a number of bars and restaurants including a local favorite, Dublin Pub. We'll probably spend at least one evening in that area.

Dayton doesn't seem to have too many hotels near downtown. There is a Crowne Plaze within walking distance of the Oregon district and a Marriott not far away. There are numerous options near the bast and museum. I'll defer to others for now on a hotel choice since I live here.

As far as timing, my initial thought is to do this early next year, in the February to April time-frame. I'm flexible and willing to take input. Comment if you're interested in attending, and let me know if there are other things you think we should add or if you have an opinion on timing.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I will make every effort to join this DO!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by jrl767
I will make every effort to join this DO!
It goes without saying that I will be there.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Dayton doesn't seem to have too many hotels near downtown. There is a Crowne Plaze within walking distance of the Oregon district and a Marriott not far away. There are numerous options near the bast and museum. I'll defer to others for now on a hotel choice since I live here.
Now that's what I wanted to hear!

I can't confirm since I don't have dates, but if we decide before the end of the year, I'll be able to. I try not to put anything on my calendar more than a month out, so I' wide open February to April -- except the Cardinals opening day in St. Louis.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Count me as interested!

This year won't work, as I'm traveling through the new year, but depending on dates, early next year could work. Keep us updated!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:47 pm

Sounds like a plan! Hmmmm... flights IND - DAY - IND !
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Next year should work for me.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bowdenj
Even I drive that !!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
As long as the dates work out count me in! Other than the first week of March I should be available.

One update on the Air Force Museum - access to the fourth hangar (which houses the Presidential aircraft) is once again available to the general public. The shuttle bus service for those without base access, which was suspended during fiscal year 2013 due to sequestration budget cuts, has now been restored. One does need to sign up first thing in the morning as the slots can sometimes fill up.

Although not aviation related, any car nuts may be interested in the Packard Museum downtown.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:25 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 84fiero
As long as the dates work out count me in!
same here
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I am local (born and raised) so if anyone has questions or needs assistance with anything, let me know.

Assuming the dates work out with any potential work travel, I will certainly be there.

No preference on dates....
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I am local (born and raised) so if anyone has questions or needs assistance with anything, let me know.

Assuming the dates work out with any potential work travel, I will certainly be there.

No preference on dates....
I like BJs exit 41 I-75 West Carrolton/Miamisburg, but for BBQ lovers Smokey Bones much nearer DAY airport is good. Downtown Miamisburg there is also a fun place - but I will bow to local knowledge as I have only lived there 2 months.^

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Oct 27, 2014 at 1:36 pm
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by bowdenj
As long as you route through LAX, that should work.

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I like BJs exit 41 I-75 West Carrolton/Miamisburg, but for BBQ lovers Smokey Bones much nearer DAY airport is good. Downtwon Mimaisburg there is also a fun place - but I will bow to local knowledge as I have only lived there 2 months.^
Some random thoughts from "local knowledge"...

Downtown Miamisburg can be fun for a "pub crawl" type of night. Compact and easily walkable between several good, local venues. (Bullwinkles-the rib place, Ron's Tavern, Star City Brewing, TJ Chumps, and more) However, it is not very convenient to the airport nor downtown Dayton area.
http://www.bullwinklestophatbistro.com/

I have always enjoyed "The Pub", located at the Greene (I-675/Indian Ripple). It has a bit more "chain" feel to it then I usually like, but decent food and even better selection of drafts/drinks.
http://www.experiencethepub.com/beavercreek

Depending on how the events shape up, the Oregon district is probably a good place to spend some time. About a 2 block area of historic buildings now housing restaurants, bars, and other eclectic businesses.

Thai 9 - Thai and sushi http://www.thai9restaurant.com/Main.html
I am spoiled by spending so much time in Thailand, so I typically don't visit Thai places here, but Thai 9 gets good reviews.

Jay's seafood: http://www.jays.com/ Another Oregon District favorite. Has a private room that seats up to 35 available except on Fridays. May be a bit too pricey?

Another possibility is El Mason, located just a short drive away alongside I-75. http://www.elmeson.net/
a full-fledged, full time Hispanic-fusion restaurant.
They also have some space for private parties...and a rather wicked Mojito if my booze-hazed memory is accurate.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21

I have always enjoyed "The Pub", located at the Greene (I-675/Indian Ripple). It has a bit more "chain" feel to it then I usually like, but decent food and even better selection of drafts/drinks.
http://www.experiencethepub.com/beavercreek

Agreed -British themed and the eyecandy dresses in kilts

Another possibility is El Mason, located just a short drive away alongside I-75. http://www.elmeson.net/
a full-fledged, full time Hispanic-fusion restaurant.
They also have some space for private parties...and a rather wicked Mojito if my booze-hazed memory is accurate.

totally agree with this one too- great Tapas - had a company sales conference there. ^
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Put me on the interested list. I was at the museum in 2012 and I spent three hours and don't feel I spent nearly enough time. I'd love to come back so if i can swing this, I will be there.

Also, I agree the Packard Museum is worth a visit too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.