Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

OzFest #12" – "Bay Of Islands" New Zealand - Memorial Day Weekend, May 22-25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2015, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crankychick
Oz Fest 12
Bay of Islands, New Zealand
May 22 - May 24, 2015

Registration and Payment:
Logistical and Attendee Information:
Consolidated List of Links Referenced:

Thursday, May 21, 2015:
Friday, May 22, 2015:
Saturday, May 23, 2015:
Sunday, May 24, 2015:
Additional Information:
Print Wikipost

OzFest #12" – "Bay Of Islands" New Zealand - Memorial Day Weekend, May 22-25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA EXP; Delta Plat Medallion; Starwood Plat
A big thanks to the organizers of OZFest #12 for such a well run event!
Wish I had gotten to Paihia before dinner on Sat night but work demands and the EK shower prevented me from getting there sooner, and anyway what little time I had with the group was more than offset by the quality of that time. I had such a great time!!! It was wonderful as always seeing and spending time with old friends and meeting new ones. Looking forward to OZFest #13!
Old May 27, 2015, 11:00 pm

I have just come back from following up on the boat trip group photo, the guy I spoke to is fairly new and after spending considerable time trying to make it work, couldn't. He will follow up with the manager and email me once it is done. Unfortunately the manager is away for the next few days, so it may not be till next week.
On a positive note, I now have several printed copies of the photo, as he printed them in his attempt to solve the issue. Please Pm me your address if you would like me to send one your way :-)
Old May 28, 2015, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Final Attendee List

Bronze - can't make it
[*]Top of climb AKL[*]Top of climb+1 AKL

Originally Posted by kpc
They both came to dinner at Euro on Sunday night though...
Yes I think that counts as officially attending an OzFest segment.

Can think of a few locals over the years, that have only managed to get to 1 or 2 events.

Gets the tally up to 41 then. ^

Glen
Old May 28, 2015, 4:08 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by falconea
Just been entertaining myself looking at Mr Falconea's photos. upup&away, wrlv &+1, Mrs QF WP, CDKing, fifa and Mr fifa you are welcome to the high res photos Leon took of you sandboarding. PM me your email address and I'll send them through.

Audrey
WE definitely need a photo on the thread of fifa at full speed on the sand board.
Old May 28, 2015, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Talking

Originally Posted by Itsalongwaydown
WE definitely need a photo on the thread of fifa at full speed on the sand board.
Now I think about it, I am reminded of the front visage of a Sabre jet.

(I did get a whack when I suggested to her that I wished I had brought some ping pong balls with me ...)

Last edited by serfty; May 28, 2015 at 5:32 am
Old May 28, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: AA: Exec. Plat, 4MM+, UA: 1K, 3MM+, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt: Globalist, Hilton: Diamond
Back in the office, looking at the photos being posted of O(n)z-fest,
and "re-living" the weekend.

What an awesome event!

Many thanks to all involved in making this happen. I am already
looking forward to Oz-fest #13.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's with the Hilton "Surfer's" prices between May 12th and 30th?!?!?
Old May 28, 2015, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JohnSydney2000 ask me to post this:

Last edited by serfty; May 28, 2015 at 6:50 am Reason: CLICK ON IMAGE FOR A LARGER ONE
Old May 28, 2015, 7:12 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
I believe Mr falconea has the money shot...

Originally Posted by serfty
Suggest the Govt rate with 1 guest staying...I've made 2 flexible bookings for 27-29, and 29-30 May
Old May 28, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Very little if any chance of the date changing for the foreseeable future.
The chances are somewhere between zero and nil.

End May it is. :-:
Old May 28, 2015, 11:12 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Is this a yearly event? This year it runs May 29-June 8.

For 11 action-packed days, their colourful, vibrant, beachside towns of Coolangatta and Tweed Heads will be fuelled with party atmosphere.

More than 50 rock'n'roll and rockabilly bands from across Australia will perform alongside special guest international artists from around the world. Over 1,300 cars will line their streets for one of the biggest car displays ever staged in Australia.
- See more at: http://www.visitgoldcoast.com/places....KX3SdccC.dpuf

And this one May 24-June 5, 2015:

The Magic Millions National Sale is the largest breeding stock sale in the Southern Hemisphere and has ingrained itself into the psyche of the Australian and international racing and breeding community.

Held across 13 days on the iconic Gold Coast, the sale will see approximately 2,000 weanlings, yearlings, broodmares and ready-to-race thoroughbreds go under the hammer in front of an international buying bench.
- See more at: http://www.visitgoldcoast.com/places....aMYDFes2.dpuf

The 2016 calendar is not up to show the dates for next year. I did find this event:

POULTRY INFORMATION EXCHANGE
Poultry Information Exchange is happening on 29 May 2016 at Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre Gold Coast, Australia. Its a premier event in Meat, Poultry & Seafood industry.
http://eventful.com/goldcoast/events...01-070544365-1

Everything else i see in May just runs 1-3 days.

Last edited by tom911; May 28, 2015 at 11:20 am
Old May 28, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: QF WP - LTG, VA Plat, HH D, IHG Plat, Rydges Black, GHA Black
Originally Posted by kpc
I believe Mr falconea has the money shot...
How embarrassing .
I was terrified that I'd end up in the creek and would then be sitting in wet clothes for the remainder of the day!

Trust Mr Falconea to have such an impressive camera on hand...
Old May 28, 2015, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not everyone has legitimate access to government rates ... $152 compared $359 flexible or $359 AAA!?!
Old May 28, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Not everyone has legitimate access to government rates ... $152 compared $359 flexible or $359 AAA!?!
Is that for AUS Govt or any govt employees worldwide?
Old May 28, 2015, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I feel sure Lindsay will make an attempt to secure a worldbeating Flyertalk group rate for the "Official" hotel ... whether that be Hilton or otherwise.

We've been able to do that in the past for several of the ozfests, and when done via the right Hotel contacts, it ensured a VERY good rate for all, that will create no issues at check-in for those booking it. @:-)

Hilton then just issue a special rate code to QFWP to post here, and all those who book can use that code on the Hilton website to secure the special Flyertalk contract rate, which usually is far lower than booking direct.

Indeed a number of separate bookings simply makes the Hotel look more booked to the Manager than it would be otherwise be, making Lindsay's chance of securing a VERY good rate for all others even less likely.

The emptier a Manager's advance book sheet reads, the more he will sharpen the pencil on group rates.

I recall I set up good contract Hotel deals in Hobart and Adelaide in particular, and I think those booking the Adelaide Hilton special rate got lounge access as a perk etc.

Chains like Hilton often have sales and deals etc, as the year progresses anyway.

Booking rates a year out often throws up insane rates. I was checking the last week in May is same weekend for Manhattan and was getting over $US10,000 for 5 nights CHEAPEST across a range of hotels!

I'd leave Hotels discussion until the new thread starts shortly, and until Lindsay has a chance to talk to Hotels re a possible group deal. These things take time.

Glen

Last edited by ozstamps; May 28, 2015 at 7:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.