Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

OzFest #12" – "Bay Of Islands" New Zealand - Memorial Day Weekend, May 22-25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2015, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crankychick
Oz Fest 12
Bay of Islands, New Zealand
May 22 - May 24, 2015

Registration and Payment:
Logistical and Attendee Information:
Consolidated List of Links Referenced:

Thursday, May 21, 2015:
Friday, May 22, 2015:
Saturday, May 23, 2015:
Sunday, May 24, 2015:
Additional Information:
Print Wikipost

OzFest #12" – "Bay Of Islands" New Zealand - Memorial Day Weekend, May 22-25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 7:21 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
AA only have reservations from 330 days (~2nd July)
Unsure if UA if is 330 or 355? days
QF is 355? days

An Oz Fest thread is not a prerequisite to an award reservation.
Correct, however in the same vein as the chicken and the egg, announcing the dates and venue early allows our many international friends to ready themselves to snag award seats at the earliest opportunity for the most appropriate cities - why fly direct when one can connect. I note that we may even have UK based attendees in 2016 - hang been one of them since SYD (2nd time around).

Anyway, it's up to ozstamps when he makes the first post (in line with tradition). Then we can get on with the discussion and see if we can break some attendance records.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Unsure if UA if is 330 or 355? days
Serfty or others may know more, but my understanding is no airline globally will allow any booking, award or revenue, further out than 330 days.

Lots of folks still traveling - had dinner with some here tonight, who have a very long way home, so no mad hurry, and location and date is known for anyone planning leave etc.

Glen
Old May 26, 2015, 11:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Would hotels in Surfers Paradise work for this?
Old May 26, 2015, 12:04 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by tom911
Would hotels in Surfers Paradise work for this?
I'd say Hilton Surfers Paradise would end up being the primary hotel knowing this lot
Old May 26, 2015, 12:07 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Word of advice to the OzFest Organsing Committee - last year when crankychick and I were full on and ready to go, we were told to hang tight and there was no rush... then we both ended up in hospital and life got in the way for us and chchkiwi. There's no such thing as too early
Old May 26, 2015, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by kpc
Why? We already know that Ozfest 13 will be held in Gold Coast from 27-29 May 2016. Early anouncement it its own thread may mean the difference between a premium award and an economy one for our OS friends
That is a great location for us, as Brisbane has been high on our list. Last trip it was a toss-up between Katoomba & Brisbane; Katoomba won out as it it was much closer & had to be done immediately after the trans-Pac flight. Here we can chill for a few days in Sydney & then head north.

We had to cancel out this year because a couple miscreants in a stolen car wrecked our garage & I used up all my vacation building the replacement, which should be done soon. Just praying that the miscreants target someone else for the next 12 months!
Old May 26, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by QF WP
Correct, however in the same vein as the chicken and the egg, announcing the dates and venue early allows our many international friends to ready themselves to snag award seats at the earliest opportunity for the most appropriate cities - why fly direct when one can connect. I note that we may even have UK based attendees in 2016 - hang been one of them since SYD (2nd time around).

Anyway, it's up to ozstamps when he makes the first post (in line with tradition). Then we can get on with the discussion and see if we can break some attendance records.
I've already sent wijomas a meeting notice. It's in our diaries for next year! Woot!
Old May 26, 2015, 2:56 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Serfty or others may know more, but my understanding is no airline globally will allow any booking, award or revenue, further out than 330 days.
QF award seats are released at 353 days to QF members...this is the best chance you have to snag a F or J seat although they are sometimes released later....
Old May 26, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..Then we can get on with the discussion and see if we can break some attendance records.
Twice as many people is 4 times the work (or 9 times = 2 cubed)
40 is a good number, but I expect 65~75 for OOL

With big groups is much harder to get venues for meals. The number of places that can seat ~70 people is a lot less than for 40. And such places may require cash deposit and/or guarantee of minimum numbers. But on the Gold Coast will be less on an issue. Big numbers can mean 2 buses’ for tours.

Post 11 Oz Fest History
Old May 26, 2015, 5:51 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
AA only have reservations from 330 days (~2nd July)
Unsure if UA/DL if is 330 or 355? days
QF is 353 days (~9th June)

An Oz Fest thread is not a prerequisite to an award reservation.
UA is 330 days out
Old May 26, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
The current UK contingent are meeting up in Aberdeen this weekend to discuss OzFest #13!
Old May 26, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Jamier45
The current UK contingent are meeting up in Aberdeen this weekend to discuss OzFest #13!
Fantastic! Just curious - roughly how many potential attendees for OzFest #13? I have no doubt the Gold Coast will be very well attended.
Old May 26, 2015, 8:52 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Originally Posted by wijomas
I'd say Hilton Surfers Paradise would end up being the primary hotel knowing this lot
Exceedingly high liklihood ^.

Originally Posted by wijomas
Word of advice to the OzFest Organsing Committee - last year when crankychick and I were full on and ready to go, we were told to hang tight and there was no rush... then we both ended up in hospital and life got in the way for us and chchkiwi. There's no such thing as too early
My concerns exactly. I am unexpectedly having to start a new business (hived off from our current business which is devolving) from 1 July, which will take a lot of my time in its infancy to ensure its (and our) survival (and Mrs QF WP's as Financial Controller of both entities). We will also be closing down the existing business, so I have additional workload (as well as trying to make a living).

Twice as many people is 4 times the work (or 9 times = 2 cubed)
40 is a good number, but I expect 65~75 for OOL

With big groups is much harder to get venues for meals. The number of places that can seat ~70 people is a lot less than for 40. And such places may require cash deposit and/or guarantee of minimum numbers. But on the Gold Coast will be less on an issue. Big numbers can mean 2 buses’ for tours.

Post 11 Oz Fest History
Exactly my point for wanting to raise the new thread and get started as we will be needing to do more over a longer timeframe. I want as much time to get stuff done steadily rather than a rush at the end.

Still would like to see others come on board the Committee to share the load (and assist in choosing items - which may require meals or previous attendance at said venues to try before we buy and discuss our requirements).
Old May 26, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Exceedingly high liklihood ^.

My concerns exactly. I am unexpectedly having to start a new business (hived off from our current business which is devolving) from 1 July, which will take a lot of my time in its infancy to ensure its (and our) survival (and Mrs QF WP's as Financial Controller of both entities). We will also be closing down the existing business, so I have additional workload (as well as trying to make a living).

Exactly my point for wanting to raise the new thread and get started as we will be needing to do more over a longer timeframe. I want as much time to get stuff done steadily rather than a rush at the end.

Still would like to see others come on board the Committee to share the load (and assist in choosing items - which may require meals or previous attendance at said venues to try before we buy and discuss our requirements).
Am happy to help out as needed. Just let me know what you need done. I got your back!
Old May 27, 2015, 2:27 am

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
Just been entertaining myself looking at Mr Falconea's photos. upup&away, wrlv &+1, Mrs QF WP, CDKing, fifa and Mr fifa you are welcome to the high res photos Leon took of you sandboarding. PM me your email address and I'll send them through.

Audrey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.