Reload this Page >

2015 Austin Mega DO [sponsored by Milepoint]:: February 26 - March 1

Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9

Hey everybody, welcome to the discussion thread for the 2015 Austin Mega DO.

As usual, the website (https://www.ausmegado.com) will have the latest and greatest information in case I forget to update this post. As we announced a couple of weeks ago, the dates for the 2015 event are February 26, 2015 through March 1, 2015. The event schedule has also been released, and you can view it and all of the details over on the Events page.

***Registration will open at 7PM Eastern on Wednesday, November 19, 2014.***

We sold out in six minutes last year so you'll want to be there on time and ready to go to secure your spot.

As promised, there will be barbecue, beer, and live music. Here's a quick rundown of what's contained in the 2015 event:

Schedule Of Events (tentative):

Thursday, February 26, 2015
7PM - Dinner at NxNW Brewing
10PM - Choose Your Own Adventure

Friday, February 27, 2015
10:30AM - United Airlines event at Austin Bergstrom International Airport
5PM - Evening In The Park

Saturday, February 28, 2015
11AM - Hecklevision at Alamo Drafthouse featuring Con Air
2PM - Afternoon Pub Crawl
7PM - Private dinner at Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew

Sunday, March 1, 2015
11AM - Private lunch at Hula Hut

Reminder: all the details about each of the events is available on the website.

Additionally, there is no plan to provide transportation to any event for 2015; please plan accordingly. All events are in the immediate Austin area, but some of them are outside downtown. We encourage car pooling and ride sharing. On the upside, Uber is now available in Austin along with our normal taxi services. We're also forgoing the official hotel group rate in favor of not signing a risky contract and believing that each of you are savvy travelers who can locate a good hotel rate on your own.

We expect registration to open in late October and we'll provide updates to the schedule and official hotel details as we get closer. Stay turned to the website, this thread, Facebook, and Twitter for the latest updates.

We look forward to seeing everyone in 2015!

Last edited by Mackieman; Nov 18, 2014 at 10:35 am Reason: Schedule updates.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 3:17 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I'm a probable + 1
Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Now confirmed + 1

Just hoping the new JW Marriott is open in time. It says Opening February 2015.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Now confirmed + 1

Just hoping the new JW Marriott is open in time. It says Opening February 2015.
I'd watch that one closely and see when they start taking reservations. Construction delays due to weather (if we actually get some decent rain) may push that back.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A couple of updates for everyone:

Firstly, we announced that we're partnering with United Airlines for an airport event at Austin Bergstrom International Airport. All funds raised from this event will be donated to the United We Care Employee Relief Fund which is our charity partner for the 2015 Austin Mega DO.

Secondly, we've selected the Sheraton Austin and the Hyatt Regency Austin as the official hotels for the event, but as earlier reported, there will not be an official group block or group rate available. Our expectation is that you're an experienced traveler and know how to book a hotel room at a decent rate.

As with last year, we will have a charity auction and raffle to benefit We Care. If you have items you'd like to donate to the raffle/auction, please let us know. We had a great list of unique items in 2014 and we're hoping to top that.

Finally, we're hoping to open registration in mid-November. We'll provide an update in the next week or so with the official registration time so that everyone can plan ahead and be available to register as soon as it opens so you can secure your spot at each of the events.

The website is the best place to go for the latest and greatest information. We'll also update this thread and our Facebook page and Twitter feed when updates are available.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Registration dates announced! Registration for the 2015 Austin Mega DO will start at 7:00PM Eastern on Wednesday, November 19, 2014. We also released pricing, the event map, and a preview of the new registration system that you can play with prior to registration opening. All the details are over at the website and as always keep up with this thread and our Facebook page and Twitter feed for the latest information.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
So is this now basically the StarMegaDo but on ground?

Cheers.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
So is this now basically the StarMegaDo but on ground?
Not even close.

The Austin MegaDOs have always been about celebrating food and drink in the Heart of Texas. Not counting the CYOA evenings, that's still 6 of 7 events focused on precisely that. However, we also know that there are plenty of avgeeks among this crowd, so when the opportunity came up to include an airport event, especially at an airport that has never really done one before, we jumped on it. Other than that, we're doing the same thing we do every year: eat, drink and have a lot of fun.

I'm frankly not quite sure where you draw the parallel. We certainly don't have a charter flight. Are you saying that any DO involving an airport or airline event is a StarMegaDo? If so, how would you classify the plethora of FFG events, almost all of which involve a UA airport event? Or maybe some of the London DOs (LCY/VS), Dubai DOs (DXB/EK) or the last SINDo (SIN/SQ)?

Maybe you just don't like our sponsor because of their affiliation with the other MegaDOs? Well, then let me assure you that Milepoint has no involvement with the planning or content of any event. Their support comes with no strings attached and is an extension of the gracious support Randy has given us every year since the very first Austin MegaDO. That financial backing has done nothing else than keep the costs down for attendees, which we think makes it easier for a more diverse group of people to attend. In 2014, that allowed us to have an exclusive event at Franklin BBQ. That was pretty popular. :-: (You don't want to know what that would have cost otherwise.) In years before that, the funding went towards transportation. (Do you know what a full-sized bus rental costs?) So nothing has really changed here, other than a name.

Maybe it's just the MegaDO in the name? We've also done that since Day 1 in 2009.

I'd like to invite you to please elaborate on your assertion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I sense a negative connotation and find that unwarranted.

Last edited by paranoiatx; Nov 10, 2014 at 5:37 pm
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AFAIK Tommy777 was impressed by the extent of the Austin event in 2009 that it inspired him to name our event SMD1.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:33 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Perhaps it's because if one navigates to megado(dot)com it is all about the star mega do.

Then there is this pesky little sucker at the bottom of that page:
© 2013 MegaDO. All rights reserved
See, MegaDO is a Delaware-based LLC owned by some familiar names.

So the use of "MegaDO", particularly its use combined with sponsorship by a sister company of MegaDO LLC, likely lead to the confusion above.

In any case, it looks like a terrific event, keeping with the original spirit of FlyerTalk DO's.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
AFAIK Tommy777 was impressed by the extent of the Austin event in 2009 that it inspired him to name our event SMD1.
There has been some discussion about which event used the name first.

The first Austin MegaDO wasn't until Feb 2010, after SMD1. If you go by thread starting date, SMD1 also beats AMD1 by about a month (July vs. Aug 2009). There is however, evidence of the term being used as far back as 2007.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Perhaps it's because if one navigates to megado(dot)com it is all about the star mega do.

Then there is this pesky little sucker at the bottom of that page:

See, MegaDO is a Delaware-based LLC owned by some familiar names.

So the use of "MegaDO", particularly its use combined with sponsorship by a sister company of MegaDO LLC, likely lead to the confusion above.
Well we have no affiliation with that site, since we only use ausmegado.com. But it is true and they own the "MegaDO" trademark now.

However, we've used the term "Austin MegaDO" since the very first event, years before the trademark was established and this is now the 5th incarnation. Noone seemed to have a problem with the name or perceived affiliation the last 5 years, so I'm not sure why this is suddenly an issue now. We feel it still applies as a descriptor for the size of the DO, since not many DOs can boast well over 100 attendees!

Originally Posted by kokonutz
In any case, it looks like a terrific event, keeping with the original spirit of FlyerTalk DO's.
And that's exactly what it comes down to for us!

(Incidentally, that makes it sting that much more that we've suddenly been banished from CommunityBuzz, even though this is still fundamentally the same event it has been for years.)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:32 am

A friendly reminder that registration for the 2015 Austin Mega DO starts in less than a week:

When: Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 7:00PM EST
Where: ausmegado.com

(Last year we sold out in 6 minutes, so be sure to mark your calendars!)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:42 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by paranoiatx
Well we have no affiliation with that site, since we only use ausmegado.com. But it is true and they own the "MegaDO" trademark now.
I am not sure they own the trademark. It's that they apply a copyright to their site content AS MegaDO LLC. But maybe they do own or have applied for the trademark, too.

And that's exactly what it comes down to for us!

(Incidentally, that makes it sting that much more that we've suddenly been banished from CommunityBuzz, even though this is still fundamentally the same event it has been for years.)
True, and even though some like yours remain true to original FlyerTalk DO spirit, the fact is that times have changed as private companies now monetize these types of events for profit and/or publicity. In many ways it's a cryin' shame. But it is what it is.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Not even close.

The Austin MegaDOs have always been about celebrating food and drink in the Heart of Texas. Not counting the CYOA evenings, that's still 6 of 7 events focused on precisely that. However, we also know that there are plenty of avgeeks among this crowd, so when the opportunity came up to include an airport event, especially at an airport that has never really done one before, we jumped on it. Other than that, we're doing the same thing we do every year: eat, drink and have a lot of fun.

I'm frankly not quite sure where you draw the parallel. We certainly don't have a charter flight. Are you saying that any DO involving an airport or airline event is a StarMegaDo? If so, how would you classify the plethora of FFG events, almost all of which involve a UA airport event? Or maybe some of the London DOs (LCY/VS), Dubai DOs (DXB/EK) or the last SINDo (SIN/SQ)?

Maybe you just don't like our sponsor because of their affiliation with the other MegaDOs? Well, then let me assure you that Milepoint has no involvement with the planning or content of any event. Their support comes with no strings attached and is an extension of the gracious support Randy has given us every year since the very first Austin MegaDO. That financial backing has done nothing else than keep the costs down for attendees, which we think makes it easier for a more diverse group of people to attend. In 2014, that allowed us to have an exclusive event at Franklin BBQ. That was pretty popular. :-: (You don't want to know what that would have cost otherwise.) In years before that, the funding went towards transportation. (Do you know what a full-sized bus rental costs?) So nothing has really changed here, other than a name.

Maybe it's just the MegaDO in the name? We've also done that since Day 1 in 2009.

I'd like to invite you to please elaborate on your assertion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I sense a negative connotation and find that unwarranted.
Wow - you totally overreacted to a simple question (not assertion). But thanks for the explanation, even if your response had a bit of a negative connotation while providing the info .

Cheers.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:24 am
Community Director Emerita

The first Austin MegaDO wasn't until Feb 2010, after SMD1. If you go by thread starting date, SMD1 also beats AMD1 by about a month (July vs. Aug 2009). There is however, evidence of the term being used as far back as 2007.
2006:
London MegaDo that I cohosted with Jenbel and wingnut - had over 200 FTers - mega-do term used in first post

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...s-weekend.html

2003:
Catman told me the London Do I was hosting was a Mega Do because it had over 50 participants.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...ml#post1806570

I didn't research further back, but know Catman used the term earlier than that. A MegaDo was meant to be more than 50 people that spanned over a period of time with a range of events.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.