SFO / San Francisco Dinner Aug 5, 2014 5PM @ Pauline's Pizza

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG
Since there will be people coming from SFO as well as south of SF, I would recommend meeting near 16th & Mission because it's easily accessible by BART. There are tons of great restaurants, cafes and coffee shops nearby that have great food/drinks and can accommodate a medium-to-large group.

If the group decides to meet near 16th Mission BART, here are a few places (separated by category) that come to mind:

Coffee/Tea/Pastries
  1. Four Barrel Coffee — Great coffee+pastries, big open space, indoor and outdoor seating; Open until 8pm.
  2. Stanza Coffee — Great coffee/tea+pastries, tables+chairs on outdoor area in front and patio in back; Open until 8pm.
Casual dinner and/or drinks
  1. Pica Pica Arepa Kitchen — Delicious Venezuelan food served in a fast-casual environment with multiple tables that have chair and booth seating.
  2. Curry Up Now — Indian street food and burritos served in a fast-casual atmosphere with lots of seating and big tables.
  3. Giordano Bros. — Sports bar with huge sandwiches and outdoor tables.
  4. West of Pecos — Upscale Mexican-inspired southwestern tapas with good drinks and high tables in bar area.
Sit-down dinner
  1. Pauline's Pizza — Delicious pizza with waiter service and tables to accommodate large groups.
Dessert
  1. Dandelion Chocolate — Makes their own chocolate in-house and has pastries+chocolate drinks (and coffee).
  2. Bi-Rite Creamery —.Delicious ice cream, long line, outdoor seating along sidewalk.

Last edited by LukeRB; Jul 29, 2014 at 2:47 pm
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:54 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by LukeRB
Since there will be people coming from SFO as well as south of SF, I would recommend meeting near 16th & Mission because it's easily accessible by BART. There are tons of great restaurants, cafes and coffee shops nearby that have great food/drinks and can accommodate a medium-to-large group.

If the group decides to meet near 16th Mission BART, here are a few places (separated by category) that come to mind:

Coffee/Tea/Pastries
  1. Four Barrel Coffee — Great coffee+pastries, big open space, indoor and outdoor seating; Open until 8pm.
  2. Stanza Coffee — Great coffee/tea+pastries, tables+chairs on outdoor area in front and patio in back; Open until 8pm.
Casual dinner and/or drinks
  1. Pica Pica Arepa Kitchen — Delicious Venezuelan food served in a fast-casual environment with multiple tables that have chair and booth seating.
  2. Curry Up Now — Indian street food and burritos served in a fast-casual atmosphere with lots of seating and big tables.
  3. Giordano Bros. — Sports bar with huge sandwiches and outdoor tables.
  4. West of Pecos — Upscale Mexican-inspired southwestern tapas with good drinks and high tables in bar area.
Sit-down dinner
  1. Pauline's Pizza — Delicious pizza with waiter service and tables to accommodate large groups.
Dessert
  1. Dandelion Chocolate — Makes their own chocolate in-house and has pastries+chocolate drinks (and coffee).
  2. Bi-Rite Creamery —.Delicious ice cream, long line, outdoor seating along sidewalk.
Very nice list!
Well my flight departs at 9:35PM so I would want to be at the airport by 8:30PM. Assume some time on the BART, I would probably want to leave the restaurant a tad after 7PM.
So by that logic and so we have time to talk I would say a 4PM or 5PM dinner would be good.

So I would vote for either:
Pauline's Pizza
Pica Pica Arepa Kitchen
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It's a bit far for us to come down, but I'd like to put in a recommendation for Tuba at 22nd and Guerrero (a short walk from 19th and Mission BART). It's an excellent Turkish restaurant.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by LukeRB
Since there will be people coming from SFO as well as south of SF, I would recommend meeting near 16th & Mission because it's easily accessible by BART. There are tons of great restaurants, cafes and coffee shops nearby that have great food/drinks and can accommodate a medium-to-large group....
"...because it's easily accessible by BART?"

16th & Mission isn't the only place in SF that is "easily accessible by BART."
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:42 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
there is no 19th and Mission BART :)

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's a bit far for us to come down, but I'd like to put in a recommendation for Tuba at 22nd and Guerrero (a short walk from 19th and Mission BART). It's an excellent Turkish restaurant.
16th or 24th...

As an aside - mezzes at Tuba seem reasonable but entrees are pricey for a casual dinner. IMHO.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: UA, AA
Chinese seafood in Millbrae?

Since Jason mentioned seafood and needs to catch a flight, I suggest The Kitchen Restaurant in Millbrae. It's walking distance from Bart and opens at 5 pm for dinner. I can order from their Chinese menu for family-style dishes to keep the cost down.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
16th & Mission isn't the only place in SF that is "easily accessible by BART."
24th/Mission, 16th/Mission, Civic Center, Powell, Montgomery and Embarcadero are all in SF and easily accessible by BART. 24th/Mission is closer to SFO by 1 stop; 16th/Mission has better (and nicer) options for a casual dinner.

Originally Posted by jason8612
Very nice list!
Well my flight departs at 9:35PM so I would want to be at the airport by 8:30PM. Assume some time on the BART, I would probably want to leave the restaurant a tad after 7PM.
So by that logic and so we have time to talk I would say a 4PM or 5PM dinner would be good.

So I would vote for either:
Pauline's Pizza
Pica Pica Arepa Kitchen
Thanks! Your timing is solid, if not a little conservative (better that way than to be running late). If we meet near 16th/Mission, I'd say 5pm or 5:30 is a solid start time.

Pica Pica is more casual (order at the counter, they bring food to your table) than Pauline's (table+waiter service.only). It will be easier to occupy space for longer at Pauline's; If we go with Pica Pica, we can snag a few tables for about an hour and then move to the parklet outside Four Barrel to continue conversations. I'm fine with either place, so I'll let others decide where we ultimately end up going.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by squeakr
16th or 24th...
Wow. Gone for 10 months and I'm already forgetting...
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Let's go for the pizza for 5PM.
Does that work with everyone?

2 1/2hrs is plenty of time for pizza
Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Updated the location and time.
Who's in?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I'll be there.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 12:26 am

I'll be there, likely around 5:30 due to my commute.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:11 am

Count me in!
Old Aug 4, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Pauline's answering machine recording says they only take reservations for 8 or more. Tomorrow, I start my trek to the city at 6am, so if by chance 3 more people join, could a local call in a reservation? Please and thank you. (415) 552-2050
Old Aug 4, 2014, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by boxo
Pauline's answering machine recording says they only take reservations for 8 or more. Tomorrow, I start my trek to the city at 6am, so if by chance 3 more people join, could a local call in a reservation? Please and thank you. (415) 552-2050
I'll keep an eye on the thread and, if 3 or more people RSVP, I'll call in a reservation. That said, a party of 5–7 at Pauline's around 5pm on a Tuesday should have no issues at all (the place has plenty of tables and dinner rush is around 7 in the city, and unlikely on a Tuesday).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.