Reload this Page >

The United Island Hopper thread, departing from HNL January 30th, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheBOSman
Those who are continuing onto MNL, post when you are leaving to assist in coordinating things to do:

Friday, Feb. 6 (at midnight): krazykanuck
Sat, Feb 1, 10:45 to TPE, Staying Hyatt City Dreams, AFAM-DFW
Sun Feb 2, 22:55 to GUM, AFAM-DFW

Those who are continuing on UA159 to HKG and when they are leaving HKG:

riphamilton: 2/2 22:55, UA116 to GUM
TheBOSman: 2/2 8:50, CX 368 to PVG

HNL Hotel on 1/29:

AFAM-DFW: Hyatt Regency
krazykanuck: Ambassador Waikiki
riphamilton: Ambassador Waikiki
theBOSman: HNL Airport Best Western
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:54 am
Formerly known as god_forbids

Programs: DL Kettle
If anyone would like to have a mini-DO in HNL before or after the Island Hopper, post it up. I'll be around then for sure!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by god_forbids
If anyone would like to have a mini-DO in HNL before or after the Island Hopper, post it up. I'll be around then for sure!
i would be up for something the night before.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by riphamilton
i would be up for something the night before.
Me too. Staying Hyatt Waikiki Beach.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
I'm up for night before, haven't figured out hotel yet though for the night in HNL. I'm in after 8PM, and the flight leaves at 7AM, so I hope UA extra caters some diet coke for me on the island hopper .
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I'm up for night before, haven't figured out hotel yet though for the night in HNL.
Same here. I have friends in HNL that I *could* stay with but I think the early departure time complicates things and a hotel would be better.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
since there's at least 4 of us that are still undecided about rooms, at what point could i call the doubletree (or any other property) and ask for a group rate? my sense is that 4 rooms isn't quite enough.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by riphamilton
since there's at least 4 of us that are still undecided about rooms, at what point could i call the doubletree (or any other property) and ask for a group rate? my sense is that 4 rooms isn't quite enough.
4 likely isn't enough, and apparently the airport hotel is crap but is still $200+taxes. The Best Western seems slightly better but is $210+taxes for the night. Not sure we have any cheaper options unfortunately.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:26 am
Formerly known as god_forbids

Programs: DL Kettle
There are plenty of basic accommodations available in Waikiki on 1/29 around $130 - or $100 less than that if one is willing to brave a hostel. Certainly sounds better than dropping $200 on any of the airport hotels.

Earlier this month we used Speedishuttle for airport transport and it was half the cost of the cab we usually use. It's even cheaper if you're coming from Waikiki. Or maybe use two of those "$30 free Uber ride" coupons and pay nothing
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by god_forbids
There are plenty of basic accommodations available in Waikiki on 1/29 around $130 - or $100 less than that if one is willing to brave a hostel. Certainly sounds better than dropping $200 on any of the airport hotels.

Earlier this month we used Speedishuttle for airport transport and it was half the cost of the cab we usually use. It's even cheaper if you're coming from Waikiki. Or maybe use two of those "$30 free Uber ride" coupons and pay nothing
Yeah, I mean I'm not dropping $200 on a crap hotel (which the airport hotel seems to be). If I had the BW points I would stay there, but alas I am about 30% short. $100, I'd deal with it, but not $200+.

And, call me a snob, but I'm not a hostel person, even though I have stayed at some real rat hotels .
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
This trip is definitely on my bucket list. That assumes that my upcoming SFO-LIM-CUS trip manages to wipe away the "never want to fly again" feeling from ET 500 a few weeks ago... ADD-(FCO)-IAD... 16 hours in a metal tube in E-.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
I am sorry I can't join you for 1/30. I am planning on doing this eastbound in February.

Have any of you been able to break this into the individual segments, to get the per-segment miles? It's an extra 1100 miles for elites when you consider 500-mile minimums.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:16 am

expedia had a 90% off black friday coupon for the moana surfrider. i booked a night i needed in mid-february for $82ai, but all of the codes were claimed before i could book for this trip. hope someone else got lucky!
Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:32 pm

just to update regarding hotel promos, orbitz will be running a $100 off code (VISACHECKOUT) at some point today (cyber monday) when used in conjunction with visa checkout.

based on orbitz hotels that accept other promo codes, there should be a few good deals in honolulu.

i'm eyeballing the ambassador waikiki, waikiki resort hotel and the new otani kaimana beach hotel. all *should* be bookable for less than $100ai with the promo.

EDIT: orbitz's android app says the code will go live monday at 10am central.

Last edited by riphamilton; Nov 30, 2014 at 11:53 pm
Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Do let us know if anything becomes available. Sadly I might be sleeping through it due to the time zone difference, but will try to jump on it if possible.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Can anyone tell me, are the mobile phone networks in Guam the same as the US? AT&T etc.?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.