Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Japan Do #3 - The FUK Do - April 3-5, 2015

Old May 4, 2014, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
SUMMARY OF EVENTS Click links for details

Thursday 2 April
Welcome Drinks 19:00-20:00, Bar Fizz Grand Hyatt Fukuoka followed by Yatai food stalls, craft beer excursion, cherry blossom viewing
Late arrivals can meet at the GH reception at 21:00.

Friday 3 April
Half-day trip to Dazaifu (not organised)
Official Do Dinner - Yanagimachi Ikkokudō Haruyoshi-ten, 19:00-22:00

Saturday 4 April
Day Trip to Nagasaki Depart Hakata 07:54 (Kamome #7, Platform 4), Return Nagasaki 17:20 (Kamome #38) arrive Hakata 19:14

Sunday-Monday 5-6 April
Post-do trip to Kurokawa Onsen
Lunch, day trip to Kumamoto, etc. for those still in Fukuoka

Planning to attend Welcome Drinks Thursday, April 2, 7PM~8PM, Bar Fizz, Grand Hyatt Fukuoka
NewbieRunner
greendx
kpcs
kpc+1
Awesom Andy
JY1024 (arriving FUK @ 9:35PM, but will get to GH ASAP)
kirkwoodj (arr FUK 8pm)
lili (arriving FUK @ 9:35PM, GH)
BOB W (arriving FUK @ NH249 at 12:25 PM)
beckoa (arriving FUK @ NH249 at 12:25 PM)
ClaudiSTR (50% chance for 7 pm, but sure after arriving at 8:05pm at FUK)
DENchick
iris30
ParanoiaTX (arriving FUK 18:30 on OZ136)
ParanoiaTX+1 (arriving FUK 18:30 on OZ136)
Moomba
nme7
gvdIAD (arriving FUK @ 20:05 on NH2145)
nomadic.relief (arriving FUK @ 12:25 on NH249)
upup&away(arriving by train,Thursday, April 02 (16:39)
ZFW-ATC
Henwurst
The_Wrath_of_Khan - I'll be there as soon as the 1800 Hawks game is over.
Sykes (going to the Baseball game with The_Wrath_of_Khan, so will arrive at the end)
El_Duderito+1

Planning to trip to Dazaifu
(Unorganized - link up information)
Awesom Andy
restlessinRNO
JY1024
kirkwoodj
BOB W
beckoa
ClaudiSTR
pfbloom
lynnevt
DENchick
lili
iris30
Moomba
Sykes
violist got rained on too much this morning
nomadic.relief
upup&away
ZFW-ATC
nme7
O Sora
Henwurst
The_Wrath_of_Khan
El_Duderito+1

Do Dinner - Friday, April 3, 7:00PM
See post #3 for confirmed attendees.

Planning to join Day Trip to Nagasaki Saturday, April 4, Depart Hakata 7:54AM
NewbieRunner
greendx
kpc
kpc+1
serfty
Awesom Andy
restlessinRNO
JY1024
kirkwoodj
lili
BOB W
beckoa
ClaudiSTR
DENchick
iris30
Moomba
Sykes (50/50 on going)
gvdIAD
nomadic.relief (assuming I'm capable of waking up early enough!)
upup&away
ZFW-ATC
El_Duderito+1
BigRedBears+1
nme7
O Sora
Henwurst

A summary of the events may be found in post #2.

This event also has a Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/JapanDo2015/ if you are interested in the event and enjoy a bit more social interaction with fellow attendees / organizers, feel free to join in.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:33 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by armagebedar
... I suspect you and SQ421 are the same person given I've never seen you both in the same place
That explains. @:-) During late night (usually late night for me) conference calls I couldn't tell who was speaking but I should have known that SQ421 and penegal were the same person.

Mind you during one conference call one of them seemed to be in the garden while the other was in a car.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:50 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Welcome drinks Thursday 2nd April

welcome Drinks will be between 7:00 and 8:00PM in Bar Fizz, Grand Hyatt Fukuoka. Bar Fizz is on the lower level and can be reached by taking the stairs in front of the hotel reception.

http://fukuoka.grand.hyatt.com/en/ho...g/BarFizz.html

After 8:00PM there is a cover charge and the other bar on the reception level (Martini's) does not look as inviting. In any case many people seem to be interested in yatai crawl or craft beer excursion or cherry blossom viewing. I suggest those who can make it to Bar Fizz between 7:00 and 8:00PM should decide what to do after 8:00PM. If you cannot make it to Bar Fizz by 8:00PM please meet at the Grand Hyatt reception at 9:00PM.

Please post your whereabouts in this thread if you are arriving late rather than on FB since not every participant is on FB.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I'm at SFO. UA837 taxied to the runway, but has now returned to the gate, due to a "value" problem. Next (possible) departure time 1330. I'm not sure why UA can't fix their ancient B747s prior to departure. I can still connect to FUK tonight as long as there are no further delays. Of course when does the flight crew decide to cancel due to running out of flight hours?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
My AA169 delayed out of LAX by 100 minutes (currently) ... Now 1pm ... The captain just announced "we are done" meaning the problem has been overcome so no further delay.

It was lucky that I decided to connect to FUK Friday morning ...
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by armagebedar
Damn, penegal, that's a shame. Having been doing a few all-nighters this week I can certainly sympathize... Though I suspect you and SQ421 are the same person given I've never seen you both in the same place
The grinch that is my work life strikes again; 2nd year running.

While last year I couldn't make it due to pressing work deadlines, this time around, its quite the opposite. My last client, after a management upheaval decided to shelve the project I was engaged on and gave me a weeks notice; this happened two weeks ago. As such, everything else took a backseat to lining up a new gig. Which I was able to do rather quickly and started a few days ago, but meant I couldn't, with a straight face, ask for time off either side of Easter.

Just as well, the CX tickets out of CMB are cancellable without too much of a penalty. Last year's MH tickets weren't so generous. My last hope was tonight's QF21 if I could get Qantas to open up a reward seat, however that flight is looking rather solidly booked, so no-go there.

I hope everyone has an enjoyable time. I'm cut up about missing out second year running.

(or maybe this lends more credence to armagebedar's theory that penegal and I are the same person )
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Was really looking forward to attending my first FT do! I have been following the fb group and this thread fairly closely!! Even thought of splurging for last minute J-tickets. However, an earlier trip to India for almost a month means that I have a lot to catch up on work. Thus, unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the do! I really hope that a DO like this is arranged state-side as well! I hope everyone has an awesome time, and please, have a couple of OKONAMIYAKIs for me!!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:52 pm

I'll apologize in advance, there is some muck running around Okinawa that everyone seems to be catching. We've all had our flu shots, etc, so it's either a different strain of flew or something else. I spent last night in misery with incredible pain in my sinuses. Same deal for my 4 year old. 5 other carriers and I are headed up today... Sorry!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by SQ421
(or maybe this lends more credence to armagebedar's theory that penegal and I are the same person )
Thanks for the confirmation.

But very sorry you can't make it.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Well just moved from row 32 to row 5 on NH249, not sure if that's a good move or not. But the ticketing agent wouldn't let me keep both boarding passes. Aisle seat, only window was in row 44
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Well just moved from row 32 to row 5 on NH249, not sure if that's a good move or not. But the ticketing agent wouldn't let me keep both boarding passes. Aisle seat, only window was in row 44
Haha, well at least I know it won't be you kicking me - in a window seat in row 43. Just means you'll have to wait longer for me on disembarking, mind you, the part that will likely get me left behind is the checked luggage.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

After starting the day with a visit to the spectacular Himeji Castle, on a beautifull day as well, I'm heading to the train.... Let's hope for some of that same weather.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I'm at SFO. UA837 taxied to the runway, but has now returned to the gate, due to a "value" problem. Next (possible) departure time 1330. I'm not sure why UA can't fix their ancient B747s prior to departure. I can still connect to FUK tonight as long as there are no further delays. Of course when does the flight crew decide to cancel due to running out of flight hours?
Looks like you made it out eventually. UA893 to ICN took about an hour MX delay as well, but that just means minimal lounge time before our connection to FUK.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
welcome Drinks will be between 7:00 and 8:00PM in Bar Fizz, Grand Hyatt Fukuoka. Bar Fizz is on the lower level and can be reached by taking the stairs in front of the hotel reception.

http://fukuoka.grand.hyatt.com/en/ho...g/BarFizz.html

After 8:00PM there is a cover charge and the other bar on the reception level (Martini's) does not look as inviting. In any case many people seem to be interested in yatai crawl or craft beer excursion or cherry blossom viewing. I suggest those who can make it to Bar Fizz between 7:00 and 8:00PM should decide what to do after 8:00PM. If you cannot make it to Bar Fizz by 8:00PM please meet at the Grand Hyatt reception at 9:00PM.

Please post your whereabouts in this thread if you are arriving late rather than on FB since not every participant is on FB.
We're landing in FUK at 6:30p, so might not make it down to the bar in time if there's only a 1h window. Doesn't the GH have a club lounge we can invade?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The GH has a pretty nice lounge.....but not everybody will be staying there.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:56 pm

Btw I just bought an upgrade to first on JL CTS-FUK for 1000 yen. This is on an award ticket

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.