Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Japan Do #3 - The FUK Do - April 3-5, 2015

Old May 4, 2014, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
SUMMARY OF EVENTS Click links for details

Thursday 2 April
Welcome Drinks 19:00-20:00, Bar Fizz Grand Hyatt Fukuoka followed by Yatai food stalls, craft beer excursion, cherry blossom viewing
Late arrivals can meet at the GH reception at 21:00.

Friday 3 April
Half-day trip to Dazaifu (not organised)
Official Do Dinner - Yanagimachi Ikkokudō Haruyoshi-ten, 19:00-22:00

Saturday 4 April
Day Trip to Nagasaki Depart Hakata 07:54 (Kamome #7, Platform 4), Return Nagasaki 17:20 (Kamome #38) – arrive Hakata 19:14

Sunday-Monday 5-6 April
Post-do trip to Kurokawa Onsen
Lunch, day trip to Kumamoto, etc. for those still in Fukuoka

Planning to attend Welcome Drinks – Thursday, April 2, 7PM~8PM, Bar Fizz, Grand Hyatt Fukuoka
NewbieRunner
greendx
kpcs
kpc+1
Awesom Andy
JY1024 (arriving FUK @ 9:35PM, but will get to GH ASAP)
kirkwoodj (arr FUK 8pm)
lili (arriving FUK @ 9:35PM, GH)
BOB W (arriving FUK @ NH249 at 12:25 PM)
beckoa (arriving FUK @ NH249 at 12:25 PM)
ClaudiSTR (50% chance for 7 pm, but sure after arriving at 8:05pm at FUK)
DENchick
iris30
ParanoiaTX (arriving FUK 18:30 on OZ136)
ParanoiaTX+1 (arriving FUK 18:30 on OZ136)
Moomba
nme7
gvdIAD (arriving FUK @ 20:05 on NH2145)
nomadic.relief (arriving FUK @ 12:25 on NH249)
upup&away(arriving by train,Thursday, April 02 (16:39)
ZFW-ATC
Henwurst
The_Wrath_of_Khan - I'll be there as soon as the 1800 Hawks game is over.
Sykes (going to the Baseball game with The_Wrath_of_Khan, so will arrive at the end)
El_Duderito+1

Planning to trip to Dazaifu
(Unorganized - link up information)
Awesom Andy
restlessinRNO
JY1024
kirkwoodj
BOB W
beckoa
ClaudiSTR
pfbloom
lynnevt
DENchick
lili
iris30
Moomba
Sykes
violist got rained on too much this morning
nomadic.relief
upup&away
ZFW-ATC
nme7
O Sora
Henwurst
The_Wrath_of_Khan
El_Duderito+1

Do Dinner - Friday, April 3, 7:00PM
See post #3 for confirmed attendees.

Planning to join Day Trip to Nagasaki – Saturday, April 4, Depart Hakata 7:54AM
NewbieRunner
greendx
kpc
kpc+1
serfty
Awesom Andy
restlessinRNO
JY1024
kirkwoodj
lili
BOB W
beckoa
ClaudiSTR
DENchick
iris30
Moomba
Sykes (50/50 on going)
gvdIAD
nomadic.relief (assuming I'm capable of waking up early enough!)
upup&away
ZFW-ATC
El_Duderito+1
BigRedBears+1
nme7
O Sora
Henwurst

A summary of the events may be found in post #2.

This event also has a Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/JapanDo2015/ if you are interested in the event and enjoy a bit more social interaction with fellow attendees / organizers, feel free to join in.
Print Wikipost

Japan Do #3 - The FUK Do - April 3-5, 2015

Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by kpc
Hilton Fukuoka just rang me to ask if i was definitely coming and staying (and to ensure I wasn't planning to cancel) as the hotel is "very full"
Me as well, unfortunately at 2am my time.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by serfty
I contacted the Sea hawk Hilton last week to advise I was staying on three separate bookings - a very civil interchange ensued.

I was printing my documents today and noted I am showing executive king for each of the three nights.
In a Twin Deluxe for us.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:28 am

Programs: First Time Flyer
Regrettably I am probably going to be a late scratching for this do. I should be sitting on SQ228 in F right now, but I am still at the office.

Certain issues at work mean I will need to keep working through my vacation days. As a result, I have cancelled my ticket to Fukuoka and my hotel stay.

I still have a ticket home from Fukuoka, so a very quick cameo is possible, however unlikely. As the ticket is fully flexible, I suspect I will cancel it and spend what limited time I get off for the weekend at home

armagebedar and NewbieRunner have a great program lined up which I am quite sad to miss out on. It is also pretty lame that I have to work on my birthday, but at least I still have a job!

Have a great time y'all!!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by penegal
Regrettably I am probably going to be a late scratching for this do. I should be sitting on SQ228 in F right now, but I am still at the office.

Certain issues at work mean I will need to keep working through my vacation days. As a result, I have cancelled my ticket to Fukuoka and my hotel stay.

I still have a ticket home from Fukuoka, so a very quick cameo is possible, however unlikely. As the ticket is fully flexible, I suspect I will cancel it and spend what limited time I get off for the weekend at home

armagebedar and NewbieRunner have a great program lined up which I am quite sad to miss out on. It is also pretty lame that I have to work on my birthday, but at least I still have a job!

That sucks man. You and of course your legendary after party will be missed
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:13 am

If anyone is interesting in joining, my plans are still a bit hectic, but I am considering a few things. I am doing the Hawks game Thursday night, followed by welcome drinks, hopefully followed by more drinks somewhere else. Friday I plan to do Daifuzu and the welcome dinner.

I am considering a ferry ride to Tsushima or even a flight for the day on Saturday or Sunday. Prices last I checked were relatively cheap. The day that I don't get out of Fukuoka I will hit Costco and Ikea. Hopefully every night is filled with enjoying good food and craft beer.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: QF WP
Just want to post an update that, for the trip to Dazaifu, the thrifty group will be taking the 10:46 JR Kagoshima Line Rapid from Hakata, departing from platform 6. Not sure where is the best exact place to meet up, but I'll have a wander around on Thursday.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:39 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond

I'm sorry you are going to miss the Do. How are we going to manage late night parties without you where the next Do is allegedly plotted?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else

Well that's a shame. I was looking forward to continuing the shenanigans that ensued when I last saw you on my home turf in Austin.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:15 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Damn, penegal, that's a shame. Having been doing a few all-nighters this week I can certainly sympathize... Though I suspect you and SQ421 are the same person given I've never seen you both in the same place
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:17 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
By the way, I will lead a craft beer excursion on Thursday for anyone interested, along with some nighttime hanami (called "yozakura") depending on how rainy it is.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by armagebedar
By the way, I will lead a craft beer excursion on Thursday for anyone interested, along with some nighttime hanami (called "yozakura") depending on how rainy it is.
YES, interested!! However is that replacing the yatai crawl thing or would it be before/after? Will have to do some co-ordinating and with sporadic wifi it's tricky! I'll make it work though.

Last edited by nomadic.relief; Apr 1, 2015 at 4:25 am
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:01 am

Programs: First Time Flyer
Though I suspect you and SQ421 are the same person given I've never seen you both in the same place
hahaha, SQ421 is shorter than me?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Originally Posted by beckoa
If arriving early into FUK (12:30 PM) on Thursday April 2, is there a good use of the 3 day Northern Kyushu Rail Pass? Something that would get us back in time for welcome drinks of course
A quick trip to Kumamoto and back for the castle and cherry blossom?
Anyone else getting in earlier tomorrow and want to tag along [2 of us at least on NH249]? Can send me a PM- I'll have very limited data access via whatever free wifi I can get. Probably will checkin/drop off bags first at the Hilton Seahawk.

Last edited by beckoa; Apr 1, 2015 at 7:55 am
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:14 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by beckoa
I'll have very limited data access via whatever free wifi I can get.
Most Japanese airports have free wifi, as well as large railway stations (e.g. Hakata). Free wifi is also available in all subway stations in Fukuoka as well as some tourist spots and in large stores.

http://www.welcome-fukuoka.or.jp/english/1317.html

It is for everyone 'including foreigners'!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
By the way, I will lead a craft beer excursion on Thursday for anyone interested, along with some nighttime hanami (called "yozakura&quot depending on how rainy it is.
Interested!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.