Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
SUMMARY OF EVENTS Click links for details

Thursday 2 April
Welcome Drinks 19:00-20:00, Bar Fizz Grand Hyatt Fukuoka followed by Yatai food stalls, craft beer excursion, cherry blossom viewing
Late arrivals can meet at the GH reception at 21:00.

Friday 3 April
Half-day trip to Dazaifu (not organised)
Official Do Dinner - Yanagimachi Ikkokudō Haruyoshi-ten, 19:00-22:00

Saturday 4 April
Day Trip to Nagasaki Depart Hakata 07:54 (Kamome #7, Platform 4), Return Nagasaki 17:20 (Kamome #38) – arrive Hakata 19:14

Sunday-Monday 5-6 April
Post-do trip to Kurokawa Onsen
Lunch, day trip to Kumamoto, etc. for those still in Fukuoka

Planning to attend Welcome Drinks – Thursday, April 2, 7PM~8PM, Bar Fizz, Grand Hyatt Fukuoka
NewbieRunner
greendx
kpcs
kpc+1
Awesom Andy
JY1024 (arriving FUK @ 9:35PM, but will get to GH ASAP)
kirkwoodj (arr FUK 8pm)
lili (arriving FUK @ 9:35PM, GH)
BOB W (arriving FUK @ NH249 at 12:25 PM)
beckoa (arriving FUK @ NH249 at 12:25 PM)
ClaudiSTR (50% chance for 7 pm, but sure after arriving at 8:05pm at FUK)
DENchick
iris30
ParanoiaTX (arriving FUK 18:30 on OZ136)
ParanoiaTX+1 (arriving FUK 18:30 on OZ136)
Moomba
nme7
gvdIAD (arriving FUK @ 20:05 on NH2145)
nomadic.relief (arriving FUK @ 12:25 on NH249)
upup&away(arriving by train,Thursday, April 02 (16:39)
ZFW-ATC
Henwurst
The_Wrath_of_Khan - I'll be there as soon as the 1800 Hawks game is over.
Sykes (going to the Baseball game with The_Wrath_of_Khan, so will arrive at the end)
El_Duderito+1

Planning to trip to Dazaifu
(Unorganized - link up information)
Awesom Andy
restlessinRNO
JY1024
kirkwoodj
BOB W
beckoa
ClaudiSTR
pfbloom
lynnevt
DENchick
lili
iris30
Moomba
Sykes
violist got rained on too much this morning
nomadic.relief
upup&away
ZFW-ATC
nme7
O Sora
Henwurst
The_Wrath_of_Khan
El_Duderito+1

Do Dinner - Friday, April 3, 7:00PM
See post #3 for confirmed attendees.

Planning to join Day Trip to Nagasaki – Saturday, April 4, Depart Hakata 7:54AM
NewbieRunner
greendx
kpc
kpc+1
serfty
Awesom Andy
restlessinRNO
JY1024
kirkwoodj
lili
BOB W
beckoa
ClaudiSTR
DENchick
iris30
Moomba
Sykes (50/50 on going)
gvdIAD
nomadic.relief (assuming I'm capable of waking up early enough!)
upup&away
ZFW-ATC
El_Duderito+1
BigRedBears+1
nme7
O Sora
Henwurst

A summary of the events may be found in post #2.

This event also has a Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/JapanDo2015/ if you are interested in the event and enjoy a bit more social interaction with fellow attendees / organizers, feel free to join in.
Print Wikipost

Japan Do #3 - The FUK Do - April 3-5, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by kpc
Oh thanks...I didn't realise you can buy the pass online^
Yup, www.acprail.com. US$60.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:11 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Yup, www.acprail.com. US$60.
$60 sounds very good but it looks like the link is only good for people in the US. Since you will have to go to the station to exchange your voucher anyway it doesn't make much difference if you buy it online in advance or not.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Are people still considering a train from Tokyo to Fukuoka on the thursday? If so, what's the best way to book? I assume that particular journey isn't covered by a rail pass, or is it?

Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by SQ421
Are people still considering a train from Tokyo to Fukuoka on the thursday? If so, what's the best way to book? I assume that particular journey isn't covered by a rail pass, or is it?

The JR rail pass would cover it as well as Saturday Nagasaki trip.

I am not sure of the best one - or even of the better economics. (NE'X use for example.)

Japan Rail Pass (JR Pass) | Japan Guide
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium

I am! If we can get a ticket that would cover this train along with the Saturday day trip that would be great. I'm just waiting for someone to post what to buy, how, etc as I figure someone can tell us exactly what is needed (because I sure don't know).
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond

I understand that there is one of the bullet trains. I guess it is time to investigate since we both are interested in taking that ride.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by monitor
I understand that there is one of the bullet trains. I guess it is time to investigate since we both are interested in taking that ride.
Yup. Time to figure this out.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:10 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

You can use a Japan Rail Pass if you want to travel from Narita Airport to Tokyo, Tokyo to Hakata (JR station for Fukuoka) and go on the Nagasaki day trip. It will have to be bought outside Japan and exchanged for a pass at Narita or most JR stations on arrival. Expect to have to wait at certain times of the day in Narita. If you want to reserve seats there is no charge but you will have to do this before travelling.

The timetable for Shinkansen between Tokyo and Hakata may be found here. Since you cannot use a Japan Rail Pass on Nozomi and Mizuho trains you will have to change at least once (usually in Shin-Osaka). For example if you leave Tokyo at 09:33 (Hikari 507) and change in Shin-Osaka at 12:59 (Sakura 557) you will arrive in Hakata at 15:34.

There was some discussion earlier in this thread about travelling on Nozomi vs Hikari/Sakura and Ordinary Cars vs Green Cars.

P.S. Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen Tourist Pass allows travel on Nozomi as well as other Shinkansen trains. It costs 35,000 yen, valid for 5 days, includes up to 4 seat reservations, does not cover Narita Express or the trip to Nagasaki and is probably only worth the price if you are travelling in both directions between Tokyo and Fukuoka on Shinkansen or intend to stop in other places on the way to/from Fukuoka.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jan 29, 2015 at 3:07 am
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Gulf Air Falconflyer Gold
Train to FUK on April 2

As the person that originally (I think) mentioned the possibility of taking the shinkasen to Fukuoka, I'll chime in as to what I am thinking.

First off, I don't care about getting a pass, given the restrictions about reservations, trains, and what not... Also, I only plan on training on Thursday and the Saturday trip to Nagasaki since I leave on Sunday. I'm pretty much only interested in travelling Green Car.

Therefore, what I am planning is taking either the N31 or N33 trains leaving at 1210 or 1230 from Tokyo Station arriving Hakata Station at 1714 or 1739. Green car only....

If you are interested in joining me on one of these two trains, please feel free to join me.. I'm open to either time, so if you want to join up and have a preference between two times 20 minutes apart, let me know.. We can figure out which train most people want and go with that....

Thanks,
Eric
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: QF WP
Just to decipher the above... N31 and N33 are Nozomi trains, and to also get into the green cars, there aren't any passes of good value. Best possible way then is to buy a ticket out right, at a cost of about Ą30,000.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Nozomi from Tokyo to Hakata in a Green Car is Ą30,080 and takes ~5:05. (e.g. 12:30->17:39)

The Hikari which can be used with a JR pass takes ~6:00 and many do not require a change of train/platform (e.g. Tokyo 12:03 to Hakata 18:00 with a 9 minute stop at Himeji).

A 7 Day Green JR pass costs Ą38,880 which can be used on the Hikari and the Nagasaki trip.

The Northern Kyushu Area Pass costs Ą7,200 for three days with seat reservations included. (Normally Ą510)

So a Green Car JR pass covering all travel for Ą38,880 at the cost of an additional hour is slightly more expensive than a separate Nozumi ticket and Northern Kyushu Pass combo at Ą37,280.

However, if you plan any other JR travel to/from/within points East such as a Hikari back to Tokyo (or elsewhere), the NE'X or simply around Tokyo the JR pass should be much better value.

Last edited by serfty; Jan 30, 2015 at 2:46 am
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:19 am

Thanks for the detailed information.

Originally Posted by serfty
The Hikari which can be used with a JR pass takes ~6:00 and many do not require a change of train (e.g. Tokyo 12:03 to Hakata 18:00 with a 9 minute stop at Himeji).
The Hikari only travels from Tokyo as far as Shin-Osaka or Okayama. The 12:03 from Tokyo (Hikari 471) does require a change to Sakura 563 either at Shin-Osaka, Shin-Kobe or Himeji. In addition Hikari 471 does not use the latest N700 series of rolling stock though some Hikari trains do.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for that, I used Hyperdia for research - it indicates the Hikari 471 uses the same platform at Himaji as the Sakura 563 - I had assumed it would be the same rolling stock. So a change of train in this case, but not platform.

Is there a big difference with the N700 series and other Hikari trains that ply the route?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by serfty
Is there a big difference with the N700 series and other Hikari trains that ply the route?
Hikari trains which do not use the N700 series appear to use the 700 series.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:46 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
There is a bus from Aso Station to Beppu at 14:49 arriving at Beppu at 18:03 so you can go to Beppu instead of Kumamoto.
I'll probably take this bus; just booked a simple old-style ryokan for the Mon night before flying out from OIT on Tue evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.