Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
SUMMARY OF EVENTS Click links for details

Thursday 2 April
Welcome Drinks 19:00-20:00, Bar Fizz Grand Hyatt Fukuoka followed by Yatai food stalls, craft beer excursion, cherry blossom viewing
Late arrivals can meet at the GH reception at 21:00.

Friday 3 April
Half-day trip to Dazaifu (not organised)
Official Do Dinner - Yanagimachi Ikkokudō Haruyoshi-ten, 19:00-22:00

Saturday 4 April
Day Trip to Nagasaki Depart Hakata 07:54 (Kamome #7, Platform 4), Return Nagasaki 17:20 (Kamome #38) – arrive Hakata 19:14

Sunday-Monday 5-6 April
Post-do trip to Kurokawa Onsen
Lunch, day trip to Kumamoto, etc. for those still in Fukuoka

Planning to attend Welcome Drinks – Thursday, April 2, 7PM~8PM, Bar Fizz, Grand Hyatt Fukuoka
NewbieRunner
greendx
kpcs
kpc+1
Awesom Andy
JY1024 (arriving FUK @ 9:35PM, but will get to GH ASAP)
kirkwoodj (arr FUK 8pm)
lili (arriving FUK @ 9:35PM, GH)
BOB W (arriving FUK @ NH249 at 12:25 PM)
beckoa (arriving FUK @ NH249 at 12:25 PM)
ClaudiSTR (50% chance for 7 pm, but sure after arriving at 8:05pm at FUK)
DENchick
iris30
ParanoiaTX (arriving FUK 18:30 on OZ136)
ParanoiaTX+1 (arriving FUK 18:30 on OZ136)
Moomba
nme7
gvdIAD (arriving FUK @ 20:05 on NH2145)
nomadic.relief (arriving FUK @ 12:25 on NH249)
upup&away(arriving by train,Thursday, April 02 (16:39)
ZFW-ATC
Henwurst
The_Wrath_of_Khan - I'll be there as soon as the 1800 Hawks game is over.
Sykes (going to the Baseball game with The_Wrath_of_Khan, so will arrive at the end)
El_Duderito+1

Planning to trip to Dazaifu
(Unorganized - link up information)
Awesom Andy
restlessinRNO
JY1024
kirkwoodj
BOB W
beckoa
ClaudiSTR
pfbloom
lynnevt
DENchick
lili
iris30
Moomba
Sykes
violist got rained on too much this morning
nomadic.relief
upup&away
ZFW-ATC
nme7
O Sora
Henwurst
The_Wrath_of_Khan
El_Duderito+1

Do Dinner - Friday, April 3, 7:00PM
See post #3 for confirmed attendees.

Planning to join Day Trip to Nagasaki – Saturday, April 4, Depart Hakata 7:54AM
NewbieRunner
greendx
kpc
kpc+1
serfty
Awesom Andy
restlessinRNO
JY1024
kirkwoodj
lili
BOB W
beckoa
ClaudiSTR
DENchick
iris30
Moomba
Sykes (50/50 on going)
gvdIAD
nomadic.relief (assuming I'm capable of waking up early enough!)
upup&away
ZFW-ATC
El_Duderito+1
BigRedBears+1
nme7
O Sora
Henwurst

A summary of the events may be found in post #2.

This event also has a Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/JapanDo2015/ if you are interested in the event and enjoy a bit more social interaction with fellow attendees / organizers, feel free to join in.
Print Wikipost

Japan Do #3 - The FUK Do - April 3-5, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by penegal
Just for something different?
never mind. Wrong thread,

Last edited by BOB W; Sep 29, 2014 at 11:31 pm
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: First Time Flyer
Originally Posted by BOB W
never mind. Wrong thread,
LOL, we call it "the ditch"
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Now, here's an interesting view of Tokyo

http://www.fromquarkstoquasars.com/m...e-image-toyko/
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SQ421
Now, here's an interesting view of Tokyo

http://www.fromquarkstoquasars.com/m...e-image-toyko/
I can actually see in to my living room on this picture, a bit blury but the curtains where apparently not closed when the.pictures were shot.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:44 pm

Not sure if that falls more completely in the creepy or totally awesome category.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Not sure if that falls more completely in the creepy or totally awesome category.
Well, there is no indication that anyone is at home. No way to discern a person. So with the distance to Tokyo tower, I would say technologically awesome.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:27 pm

It has been ages since my last FT event, but I'm booked! Flying into FUK on Wednesday if I make it through PVG, and I need to leave from GMP Tuesday morning.

As for post DO activities I'm _very_ interested in DMZ, but wouldn't mind an onsen visit as well. I'm currently booked on FUK-ICN on Sunday, but that can be changed within the limits of *A award availability.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
I'm a maybe
Old Nov 13, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Hmm, we may have snagged a BOS-ICN fare last summer that "happens" to coincide with this particular weekend. Maybe we'll end up using it...

Some positioning/scheduling still needs to be worked out, so I'll keep us on the maybe list.

I see both the GH and HR are pretty cheap (especially for Japan). Any recommendations of one over the other? Or maybe we should try both... Is any contingent gravitating towards one or the other?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by paranoiatx
I see both the GH and HR are pretty cheap (especially for Japan). Any recommendations of one over the other? Or maybe we should try both... Is any contingent gravitating towards one or the other?
Not sure if there's a shuttle bus for the GR, but it's not in the most easily accessible location, while the HR is about 7mins walk from Hakata station so you might not bother with any other form of transport from the train station if you're staying there. Judging from last year, I would think that there will be a big enough groups staying at both (although I don't have any attendance details to look at). I have a booking at HR myself, although I have no interest in the Gold Passport so I might end up going somewhere else closer to Hakata station instead (and it's also cheaper). eg, a single room at Hotel Nikko is about $82 USD so it's a fair bit of cash saved over the whole Do, and it has a station exit right next to it.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by paranoiatx
SQ421 and I were thinking of jumping between the two, but as I am getting "too old" for mattress runs, I will likely pick one and just stay there.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by penegal
SQ421 and I were thinking of jumping between the two, but as I am getting "too old" for mattress runs, I will likely pick one and just stay there.
+1

The idea of a mattress run, while tempting, is best left to when we know we won't be hungover most mornings come check out time!

Availability of a Suite to upgrade into using the Diamond Suite Upgrade may well play into the decision, though past experience suggests its better to let someone else have the suite (and organise the after party )
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:10 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
The Grand Hyatt is far superior to the HR across the board, IMO -- the Grand Club is nice, the rooms are dated but in good condition (though not nearly as dated as the HR), and the area is full of shops and restaurants. It is a bit distant from the station but there are frequent buses to various places, and taxis are cheap.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by armagebedar
The Grand Hyatt is far superior to the HR across the board, IMO -- the Grand Club is nice, the rooms are dated but in good condition (though not nearly as dated as the HR), and the area is full of shops and restaurants. It is a bit distant from the station but there are frequent buses to various places, and taxis are cheap.
Fair enough - That makes sense given the positioning of both brands... and the price differential
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by armagebedar
GH is barely over 1 KM from either Hakata or Tenjin stations. HR is less than that from Hakata. You could also walk through the Kawabatta Shotengai from the GH and get on the subway ! Really.Not.A.Problem.

Please do be aware that both hotels fill up on Friday and Saturdays.......lots of weddings and folks from 田舎that come into the city to shop and play ! I wouldn't be surprised if the more budget hotels are already getting full ! But don't take my word for it........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.