Wiki Posts
Search

LEX Horse and Bourbon DO V, Oct. 3-5, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I just found out that the same weekend will be the Festival of the Horse in nearby Georgetown.

http://festivalofthehorse.org/
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I will try and juggle my calendar to make the earlier October date work. The temptation of Keeneland (NOW FEATURING REAL DIRT***!!!) is just too hard to pass up without a fight.

Has anyone ever stayed downtown (Hilton or Hyatt)? I'm thinking a change of scenery wouldn't be a bad thing after all those stays at the Four Points.

For some additional horse-related activities for the DO, we could consider a guided tour of The Thoroughbred Center, a huge Keeneland-owned training facility a bit outside of town off Paris Pike.

http://www.thethoroughbredcenter.com/

Went there in March to watch a morning workout of one of my horses. It would be a good spot to spend a little time during morning works, take their guided tour, etc.

Highly recommended to first stop at Spalding's Bakery and grab a bunch of amazing donuts to go before heading over to watch morning workouts:

http://spaldingsbakery.com/products.html

Note though that you will have to buy your coffee elsewhere. There's a McD's right down the street.

***Yes, horse racing fans, no more shredded tires and wire insulation on the KEE main track. They've ripped up the Polytrack and are going back to real dirt. Good for horses? The jury is still out. Good for Keeneland? Definitely. KEE will be hosting the Breeders Cup in October 2015. Forget the Kentucky Derby. Breeders Cup Friday and Saturday is the most important event in North American horse racing.

Those of us who were at the Spring 2014 DO were able to meet a part of Breeders Cup history in person. We got to meet Blame, the only horse ever to defeat the best North American horse of this generation, Zenyatta. That race for the ages was the 2010 Breeders Cup Classic (richest race in North America)

Last edited by Herb687; Sep 5, 2014 at 9:52 am
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Herb687, glad you'll try to make it.

Another really good bakery is Magee's. That was my mom's go-to when we were growing up. I must have eaten 500 loaves of their bread. They have great donuts and killer breakfast sandwiches, including on real southern biscuits. KMA26 and bk3day went there with me a couple DOs ago.

I stayed at the Hyatt a LONG time ago when it was a Radisson. Not sure what it is like now.

There is a Doubletree on Richmond Rd., just outside New Circle Road that is pretty decent. Sometimes has great rates.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Will have to check out Magee's!

Just looking at Keeneland's website. Saturday, October 4 is a HUGE day of racing there. Makes sense since it is exactly four weeks before the Breeders Cup. There will definitely be some Breeders Cup horses prepping in the FIVE graded stakes races to be run at Keeneland on Saturday the 4th.

Purse has been increased to $1 million (Keeneland's first million dollar race!) for the Grade 1 Shadwell Turf Mile to be run on Saturday the 4th. This race has historically been a key prep for the Breeders Cup Mile. With the purse increase, I could see it attracting some European superstars wanting a race under their belt in North America before tackling the BC Mile at Santa Anita.

Keeneland's website shows reserved seat availability down to nothing but isolated single seats for Saturday the 4th. If a few others are interested, this could be a Stubhub opportunity rather than rolling the dice on the unreserved benches on the apron.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:13 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
KMA26 and bk3day went there with me a couple DOs ago.
ahem, moi aussi.

I'm still on track to make this weekend, I'll be there for Sat/Sun only.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
ahem, moi aussi.

Sounds good.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have gone through and compiled a list of attendees and maybes and have put it in the first post.

Please notify of errors/corrections/additions.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I'll be driving, but my wife will be flying in from out of town. It looks like CVG is the best bet. On Sunday, should I book her on a 4pm or 8pm departure?

It also looks like we'll be getting into town 8:30-9pm Friday evening. Hopefully this will put us there in time for the post-dinner festivities at the Four Points. As far as what to do Saturday, I looked at the three itineraries from last time and liked the idea of the "bourbon side." I'd be up for doing that especially if getting tickets to Keenesland will be difficult. I assume this is the breakfast at the track you referred to last year. http://www.keeneland.com/discover/sunrise-trackside If anyone needs a ride either from/to CVG (or DAY) Friday and Sunday or for Saturday activities, I drive an extended cab Toyota Tacoma so can fit up to four although it's a tight squeeze in the back seat.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mattp1987
I'll be driving, but my wife will be flying in from out of town. It looks like CVG is the best bet. On Sunday, should I book her on a 4pm or 8pm departure?

It also looks like we'll be getting into town 8:30-9pm Friday evening. Hopefully this will put us there in time for the post-dinner festivities at the Four Points. As far as what to do Saturday, I looked at the three itineraries from last time and liked the idea of the "bourbon side." I'd be up for doing that especially if getting tickets to Keenesland will be difficult. I assume this is the breakfast at the track you referred to last year. http://www.keeneland.com/discover/sunrise-trackside If anyone needs a ride either from/to CVG (or DAY) Friday and Sunday or for Saturday activities, I drive an extended cab Toyota Tacoma so can fit up to four although it's a tight squeeze in the back seat.
1 would recommend 8 pm.

Keeneland general admission is always wide open; it's reserved seating (under cover) that can sell out. We have done it both ways.

No, the track kitchen thing I mentioned is not prepaid or reserved; it's just a small cafeteria-style place that is open to all, from very earlie in the morning.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Sep 9, 2014 at 12:31 pm
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattp1987
I assume this is the breakfast at the track you referred to last year. http://www.keeneland.com/discover/sunrise-trackside If anyone needs a ride either from/to CVG (or DAY) Friday and Sunday or for Saturday activities, I drive an extended cab Toyota Tacoma so can fit up to four although it's a tight squeeze in the back seat.
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
1 would recommend 8 pm.

Keeneland general admission is always wide open; it's reserved seating (under cover) that can sell out. We have done it both ways.

No, the track kitchen thing I mentioned is not prepaid or reserved; it's just a small cafeteria-style place that is open to all, from very earlie in the morning.

I had recommended for the spring DO that people do the official Keeneland trackside breakfast Saturday AM with live commentary of the morning workouts. I haven't done this since my first Keeneland DO years ago (I know Sweet Willie was at that one, can't remember who else was).

"Sunrise Trackside" is a much better experience for Keeneland newbies than going to the Track Kitchen, in my opinion. You're trackside and able to see those horses morning works up close.

The Track Kitchen can be cool if you want to stalk "celebrities" (the mere human kind) of the sport... but I don't think the average Flyertalker gets all giddy at the prospect of a chance encounter with D. Wayne Lukas or being able to sneeze on Christophe Clement's eggs (the Track Kitchen is probably beneath him anyway!).

Trust me. Pay your $7 and do the official Keeneland trackside breakfast buffet (Sunrise Trackside) in the Equestrian Room. It will be fun.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:50 pm

For those staying at the Four Points, SPG's Fall promo includes triple points for stays of 2+ nights that include a weekend night. Here's the link https://www.spgpromos.com/moreforyou/?EM=spgpromosredir
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:29 am

Sorry to do this so close to the date and especially with such a small group to begin with, but it looks like we are out. We are buying a car in OH and need to get it to MD by the 10th, so they weekend of the DO is really our only option. I hope to make it in the Spring.

Edit: If anyone wants my 4 Points reservation PM me. AAA rate of $79+tax for Fri and Sat nights.

Last edited by mattp1987; Sep 22, 2014 at 9:36 pm
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:57 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
weather in the mid 70s in N Wisconsin means I'll be going up north this coming weekend & already have plans to go up the 2nd weekend in Oct.

I can't afford time-wise to do 3 weekends away from home in a row, so I'm out for this Fall trip.

My room at 4 Points for Sat night has been claimed.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm now confirmed as in. Ticket to LEX booked now. Arriving late Friday night. Not sure where I am staying yet.

There are now some reserved seats available for Saturday in the Keeneland grandstand. I'm going to go to the races on Saturday the 4th regardless of the official DO agenda. I don't want to miss such a big day of racing.

I'll be more than happy to grab reserved seats ($15 plus the cost of track general admission) for anyone else who wants to join on Saturday. Please send a PM if interested and you can just pay me back when we meet up at the track.

Toomanybooks, I don't know if you have formalized any type of an agenda yet but would something like this work?

Saturday 4Oct
0730: Sunrise at Keeneland trackside breakfast, walking tour, etc.
1000: Tour close-in bourbon distillery? (Woodford Reserve is closest but we have been there a couple times before)
1200: Lunch somewhere on way back to track (I recommend Wallace Station in Midway, KY as a good stop for lunch if driving back to LEX from the west - great patio on a nice day, good sandwiches and burgers; there are some other good spots too around the little town of Midway)
1300: Return to track for day of racing; first post time is 1:05pm I think but the bigger races will likely be later in the afternoon.
2000: Dinner somewhere in LEX? Beer at The Beer Trappe?

Sunday 5Oct
AM The traditional brunch at Stella's Kentucky Deli
PM Another day at Keeneland and/or more distillery tours
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by Herb687
I'm now confirmed as in. Ticket to LEX booked now. Arriving late Friday night. Not sure where I am staying yet.

There are now some reserved seats available for Saturday in the Keeneland grandstand. I'm going to go to the races on Saturday the 4th regardless of the official DO agenda. I don't want to miss such a big day of racing.

I'll be more than happy to grab reserved seats ($15 plus the cost of track general admission) for anyone else who wants to join on Saturday. Please send a PM if interested and you can just pay me back when we meet up at the track.

Toomanybooks, I don't know if you have formalized any type of an agenda yet but would something like this work?

Saturday 4Oct
0730: Sunrise at Keeneland trackside breakfast, walking tour, etc.
1000: Tour close-in bourbon distillery? (Woodford Reserve is closest but we have been there a couple times before)
1200: Lunch somewhere on way back to track (I recommend Wallace Station in Midway, KY as a good stop for lunch if driving back to LEX from the west - great patio on a nice day, good sandwiches and burgers; there are some other good spots too around the little town of Midway)
1300: Return to track for day of racing; first post time is 1:05pm I think but the bigger races will likely be later in the afternoon.
2000: Dinner somewhere in LEX? Beer at The Beer Trappe?

Sunday 5Oct
AM The traditional brunch at Stella's Kentucky Deli
PM Another day at Keeneland and/or more distillery tours
Except for missing the cocktail party at Tmb's parents' home Saturday and Friday dinner and/or The Beer Trappe (or similar), the above looks good to me. Those who want a second distillery tour on Saturday afternoon could opt out of part of Keeneland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.