Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

15th Annual BRT (Brooklyn Reality Tour) June 14, 2014

Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

15th Annual Brooklyn Reality Tour (BRT) June 14, 2014 1 SEAT available.

Pickup information:

Pick up location: Write it down

234 East 46 street. It's the same location as previous tours. This is between Second and Third Avenue on the east side. It's just down the block from Sparks Steakhouse.

Arrive 9:30 - 9:45. Doors close at 10:00. Departure immediately following.

I'll be PM'ing you my cell phone number prior to the tour. Rest assured that I will not be calling you if you're late. If you are running late, I'll give you directions to our first stop. Its happened before, and it will happen again. I did leave Catman, one of my oldest dearest friends behind.

You'll need cash for pizza at L&B + bakery goodies + dinner at Juniors.
================================================== ================================================

Announcing the 15th annual dhammer53 Brooklyn Reality Tour aka BRT.

Date: June 14, 2014 Saturday
Time: 9:30, with pushback at 10:00.

Theme: Returning to our roots with a 25 passenger van.

Theme: We're going to anty up some money to the Captain Jason Dahl Foundation. http://dahlfund.org/ Details to follow.

The first 14 Brooklyn Tours were sellouts. BRT 4 - 7 I rented an airport type shuttle van. Four years ago, we had a 50 passenger coach bus. We split the cost. This year, the cost will be about $65 - $70. per person. A portion of your fee goes to the Captain Jason Dahl Foundation.

Paypal or you can mail me a check to reserve your seat today. I will not chase anyone down this year. Please PM me for my e mail address.

FYI, Catman will once again host the SoupDo on Friday night. Soup Do 11: Friday June 13, 2014.

We'll have WineDo 7 on Sunday evening. I'll post a new thread when I have time.

Pick up 10:00 Saturday morning in the Grand Central Terminal neighborhood. Drop-off at 10:00pm. We have a tradition of departing ontime.

Besides touring Brooklyn (my home town), we eat, and eat, and eat. Can you say 'real' Brooklyn pizza? Can you say 'delicious' bakery goodies? Just ask any of the folks who have been on this tour. We drive. We tour. We eat.

If you're new to Flyertalk, the tour is a great way to make new friends.
At the end of the BRT tours 2 - 14, we went for dinner at an authentic Italian place in an authentic Italian neighborhood. Lots of jewelry showing.

Figure about $25- $30 a person for dinner (cash only). This is less than what you would pay in Manhattan; and twice the portion. The show is better than the food. Details to be worked out. Our pizza stop will set up back about $6.00 or 4.50 euros or 6.87 GBP or $5.91 AUD or $6.04 CAD

The lunch/dinner will be open to everyone. If you're not on the Tour, you'll have to take the subway to the restaurant. It's about 40 minutes and $2.50 one way. Several years ago, we had a few hitch-hikers on the van back to Manhattan.

Start planning now. Springtime in New York is beautiful. Consider yourself invited.

If you've been on the tour before and want to go again, please sign up. Repeat riders welcomed and encouraged. There is no waitlist. Several riders are regulars. Thinking about bringing a friend or relative? No problem. Bring them.

Past tour highlights include:

2001...poor AnnaS having a cold.
2002...Lisamcgu making us stop for White castle hamburgers.
2003...mjm insisting on a Starbucks break. After I stopped laughing at him for thinking that Brooklyn would even have a Starbucks... we found one.
2004...gorging on food at marysunshine's house...and this was a snack!
2005...cawhite knocking on the door of my childhood home; while I ducked for cover. It was a priceless moment. Details towards the last page of the 2005 thread. Also, a Tony Soprano type sitting at the bar added some extra flavor to our experience.
2006...Our van squeezing past a doubleparked car on a side street. You can just imagine the typical Brooklyn swearing. Also, the tour getting its 15 minutes of fame on Cable television News 12 Brooklyn. Check it out http://news12.com/BK/topstories/article?id=175940# use name: dhammer53ft, password: flyertalk (may not work).
2007... When cawhites 'friend' Larry (the guy who always sits at the bar), checked us out!
2008... "I had no intention of stopping at my childhood home. As we approached, I told the driver to slow down, then stop. Seems the front door was wide open. I took this as a sign from above. I stopped the bus.
A couple of years back, cawhite knocked on the door. I ducked for cover. This year I was apprehensive as I approached. When I told the woman that she bought the house from my Mom, she said in typical Brooklyn fashion whats her name? When I responded, she had a big smile for me.
This may have been the moment on BRT 8. Every year, there's always one moment that's noteworthy".

2009... We were filmed throughout the day for a documentary. Maybe it'll even come out one of these days.
2011... the bus went MX (mechanical). 90 minute delay.
2012... Teena, from Teenas Bakery isn't exactly know for being customer friendly.

BRT 12 brought 24 customers to the store. Many of them bought black and white cookies (famous in New York City), rugelah, and lots of other assorted delicious bakery goodies. I think all she had available for sale was 6 black and whites. That wasn't enough for this crowd. After we were finished, we were hanging around outside enjoying our purchase. Teena comes running out yelling, DAN. I turn around and she tells me that next year I should call in advance and warn her that we're coming, so she can have enough black and whites ready. (Note) - Teena's closed on January 1, 2013.

BRT 13 cawhite had her picture taken with Larry at Fiorentinos.

Note:

We rotate seats on the bus. Seat 1A is reserved for a couple of long time attendees (yes, that means you).
We make plenty of stops.

No talking miles and points when I'm (ahem) lecturing on Brooklyn.

It takes a certain type of person to put up with other Flyertalkers for an entire day. If you're looking for an excuse to visit NY (Brooklyn) in June, the dhammer53 Brooklyn Reality Tour is it.

Please post below if you're interested. I've met a few of you along the road this past year and you have 'dibs' if you're interested in joining us for a fun day in Brooklyn.

If you're interested in coming along, I need you to pm me your:

-Handle and real name.
-Hotel you're staying at, when available.
-Cell #

The 2007 thread here... http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...light=brooklyn

2008 Trip Report here... http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=839107

2009 thread ... 9th annual Brooklyn Reality Tour. June 13, 2009 Saturday

2010 thread 10th Annual Brooklyn Reality Tour. Saturday June 12, 2010 Post 346 has a brief report.
Photos in 317 by tom911.

BRT 12 link for first time riders >>> will give you a feel what to expect. 12th Annual Brooklyn Reality Tour (BRT) June 14, 2014 We stopped at a Beer Garden last year.

Note to new riders... I would suggest reading the 2012 thread to get a peak at what you can expect. 12th Annual Brooklyn Reality Tour - June 2, 2012. Saturday.

Link from 2013. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...eats-left.html

What's not included: Lunch, dinner, bakery goodies.

No refunds, since we share the cost of the bus. If you can't make it, I'll try to find a replacement.

Backstory... the Brooklyn Reality Tour was named by our dear friend magic111 after he rode on BRT 1. Jim watches over us every year from 1A in the sky.

Are you in?

So far: 0 Seats available.

dhammer53 +1 **
KathyWdrf
tcook052 **
iluv2fly
CDKing **
ldsant **
Middle_Seat **
CMK10 **
freeloader +1 **
jBrodes **
dinoscool3 + 2 **
Bob W **
YEGcited **
Skymanvan +1 **
Pooch **
plon **
italdesigns **
OilBarrierBill +1 **
msvacation ** < can't make it. edit 6/9/14

PAID = **

Waitlist:

If you're interested in joining BRT, PM me. You never know when they'll be a last minute no-show.

I'm posting this earlier than normal since folks have been inquiring.

Last edited by dhammer53; Jun 9, 2014 at 2:19 pm
Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Please add me to the list.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:40 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I'm there.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Sign me up.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 4:37 pm
Commander Catcop

Unfortunately I have to be the first to miss BRT. already committed to the Brooklyn Cyclones opener that day

Hope I see you at Soup Do 11
Old Dec 24, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
My parents and I will most likely be able to make it again ^
Old Dec 24, 2013, 7:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Please put me on the list.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Put me on the maybe list! I won't know what my summer will look like for a while but I'm going to try very hard to be there this year.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Looks likely that I +1 will attend.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by dhammer53
BRT 12 brought 24 customers to the store. Many of them bought black and white cookies (famous in New York City)
Got my fix at Grand Central station two weeks ago. $2.65 each.

Old Dec 27, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The CMK10 and friends tradition WILL continue. That means a stop at the Cyn Lounge in Williamsburg. You can't even call this place a dive bar because it would out-dive every dive out there. You can get a PBR and a shot for $6 though, but I do not recommend using the bathroom. Check out this review from Yelp:

The bad- Its not gonna be pretty ppl. The walls and inside maybe don't have lights??
In my memory I think of the streetlight coming in the front as the main light and color inside the place. Its dark, ......, theres a barred in courtyard. You don't want to go home with someone from this place!!?! Seriously- whatever you do!!!

That aside, .... it. 4$ drinks, usually less. Good 90s hip hop and other thug style tunes. I repeat NO ONE GIVES A ....! I've danced in the middle of this place with one friend ....-faced for HOURS. Its wonderful and horrible. Worth a try for sure.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by CMK10
The CMK10 and friends tradition WILL continue. That means a stop at the Cyn Lounge in Williamsburg. You can't even call this place a dive bar because it would out-dive every dive out there. You can get a PBR and a shot for $6 though, but I do not recommend using the bathroom. Check out this review from Yelp:
Uggggggg It was so nasty in the bathroom but the price was good
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by cdking
uggggggg it was so nasty in the bathroom but the price was good
Now now, I did tell you not to go in there
Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Don't get the wine either as a non-fter who was with us found out. I'll probably meet you guys for dinner as usual and likely +1.
Cheers
Howie
Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Now now, I did tell you not to go in there
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUfS_2UGftg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.