Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Around the World in 5 Boroughs: Join Us!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Around the World in 5 Boroughs: Join Us!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by plon
I emailed UNAMA and they said you are just able to show up at the door, no need to purchase tickets in advance. I will try to head here, but probably closer to 7, not 6. Can't miss that much African food in one place!
Thanks for confirming; I also sent them an email to that effect but have yet to receive a response. bdnyc is also targeting 7pm, so I'm just going to show up around that time as well.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
Got stuck at work until 1030pm Wednesday. Ugh. End-of-year madness. Sorry, didn't see the reminder texts until too late (130am- too late to text back?) Apologies.

But looks good for Sanur.......in two hours? Oy. Better get moving here.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdnyc
Got stuck at work until 1030pm Wednesday. Ugh. End-of-year madness. Sorry, didn't see the reminder texts until too late (130am- too late to text back?) Apologies.

But looks good for Sanur.......in two hours? Oy. Better get moving here.
It was a great event; we were able to knock Cabo Verde, Eritrea, Equitorial Guinea, Mozambique, and many more off the list. Lots of pictures are coming very soon.

See you guys at Sanur shortly
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: US, HH
Originally Posted by thewayofthefuture
It was a great event; we were able to knock Cabo Verde, Eritrea, Equitorial Guinea, Mozambique, and many more off the list. Lots of pictures are coming very soon.

See you guys at Sanur shortly

That's cheating! You're supposed to strictly follow the alphabet! So how does this progress adjust the finish date?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Eater reports a new Bhutanese restaurant has opened in Woodside--couldn't they get their act together a month or so sooner?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calcifer
Eater reports a new Bhutanese restaurant has opened in Woodside--couldn't they get their act together a month or so sooner?
Well this I have to check out. Himalyan Yak only had a couple of Bhutanese dishes. Anyone feel like trekking out to Queens for a Bhutan redux?

Here's the writeup for those interested: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2014...taurant-queens
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Meal #24 - Brazil

Starting the long process of catching up on photos: here are a few from our Brazilian dinner at Churrascaria Plataforma all the way back in June.

The spread

Chicken hearts, available upon request

Caipirinha - Brazil's national cocktail

an IPA from Cervejaria Colorado in Ribeirão Preto, SP
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Austin, here's another one to add to the list: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20.../tables-two-13
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Any updates? We are one week away and the venue is up in the air?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOB W
Any updates? We are one week away and the venue is up in the air?
Sorry sorry. This one (Chile) took a bit of work and then I ran off to Abu Dhabi for the long weekend. There was a Chilean place in Hell's Kitchen but it has since closed and been replaced by a Turkish restaurant. I finally managed last week to track down a bakery/cafe in Astoria (Qns) - http://www.yelp.com/biz/san-antonio-bakery-2-astoria - but they do close at 7:30pm.

So.. my plan is to get dinner at San Antonio Bakery at 6:30pm on Friday (January 23), and then, since this is rather early, invite any interested parties back to my apartment on the UES for a celebration of Chilean wine. There is apparently a specialty wine shop in Chinatown perfect for the occasion - http://www.purowine.com/.

I can also place a take-out order at the cafe for anyone who wants to join us wine but can't/prefer not to trek to Queens by 6:30.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by thewayofthefuture
Sorry sorry. This one (Chile) took a bit of work and then I ran off to Abu Dhabi for the long weekend. There was a Chilean place in Hell's Kitchen but it has since closed and been replaced by a Turkish restaurant. I finally managed last week to track down a bakery/cafe in Astoria (Qns) - http://www.yelp.com/biz/san-antonio-bakery-2-astoria - but they do close at 7:30pm.

So.. my plan is to get dinner at San Antonio Bakery at 6:30pm on Friday (January 23), and then, since this is rather early, invite any interested parties back to my apartment on the UES for a celebration of Chilean wine. There is apparently a specialty wine shop in Chinatown perfect for the occasion - http://www.purowine.com/.

I can also place a take-out order at the cafe for anyone who wants to join us wine but can't/prefer not to trek to Queens by 6:30.
Oh, we're doing one this Friday? I can join! I get into JFK around 2pm or so.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
I can meet up for the after party but will need the address. PM me please.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
I'm good for Chile Friday 1/23 630pm. Might go a few minutes early. See y'all soon.

Bob W looks like your 7pm JFK means we won't see you until the after-party. Remember, flat rate taxi from JFK to Manhattan, or easy Airtrain and E train, then short local taxi at 53rd and Lex.

Edit. Oops. Synchronized posting here.

Last edited by bdnyc; Jan 17, 2015 at 11:13 am
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:52 am

Okay if i join? This would be my first.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
So what sort of chili are we having on Friday?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.