Old Feb 9, 2014, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
INDIVIDUAL EVENT REGISTRATION

DO DINNER TICKETS

Schedule

AttendeesInbound FlightsAccommodationOutbound Flights

Getting there and getting around
Narita Express (N'EX) | N'EX Tokyo Direct Ticket | N'EX timetable from NRT | N'EX timetable to NRT |Keisei Skyliner | Keisei Skyliner Timetable | Airport Limousine Bus | Access to/from HND | Japan Rail Pass | JR Kanto Area Pass | Using Suica/Pasmo card

Route and station maps
Tokyo Metropolitan Area rail network map | JR East major route map | Tokyo Subway route map | JR Yamanote Line loop | Narita Airport (T1) station map | Narita Airport (T2) station map | Arriving in Shinjuku by Narita Express

Late Registration - Send Private Message to armagebedar, penegal and NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

2nd Japan Do | Tokyo | April 18-20, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
I am interested!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 7:51 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Pinky
I am interested!
Please fill out the survey to help us keep track of that. Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:22 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
I'm interested! (tentative)
Old Jul 13, 2013, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by serfty
Had a great time last March and will try to attend - however the dates are problematic and at this stage any attendance I can manage is likely to be restricted ...
OK, utilized the AA 15% (I know there have been better, but while the iron is hot ... or indeed the awards are available... ) and am flying from/to LAX, arriving Friday evening and departing Sunday afternoon.

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I bet there won't be many people staying at the Conrad on points this time?
Certainly not for me this time, Hilton Shinjuku it is ... on points (at this stage) ...
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:51 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by keirnna
If you really want rollercoasters there's always www.fujiq.jp/en/
The SEGAland one was quite good as well.
The half pipe standing board coaster was head spinning.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:59 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by mjm
Watching this and can perhaps offer a couple of tips.
In terms of central location, Shinjuku is one of the worst choices. It is on the west side of the city and to get there or from there to anywhere else is a hike. Shinjuku itself offers some choices but unless people are fluent in Japanese it is less language user friendly than other areas. Slightly further along the Yamanote (loop) line is Shibuya and adjacent to that Ebisu. Both significantly better choices for a larger group of visitors. Roppongi (GHT) is easy from either and the various pints from which train-based days trips will depart are more easily accessible too.
Wish I had known this earlier before our visit.
We had the choice of the Hilton or Conrad and chose the Hilton in Shinjuku
Still a good choice, with the Hyatt next door, but it was a few stops along the line and took an hour to the city center.
Rappongi also felt out of the way, but had a lot of places to see and visit.
It will be the Conrad the next time; as they sniffed when I asked about the Park Hyatt as a choice, "it is a bit out of the way" - turned out it was close to the Hilton Shinjuku!
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
I am interested, too.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:29 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by ffI
Wish I had known this earlier before our visit.
We had the choice of the Hilton or Conrad and chose the Hilton in Shinjuku
Still a good choice, with the Hyatt next door, but it was a few stops along the line and took an hour to the city center.
Rappongi also felt out of the way, but had a lot of places to see and visit.
It will be the Conrad the next time; as they sniffed when I asked about the Park Hyatt as a choice, "it is a bit out of the way" - turned out it was close to the Hilton Shinjuku!
Yes Shinjuku is wholly inconvenient in many ways. Individual hotels may have wonderful deals or service etc., but that notwithstanding, the area as a base of operations leaves a lot to be desired.

The Conrad is way more central for sure, more of a train friendly location. Roppongi is also the heart of much of the action in terms of museums, shopping, food etc. It also has a nightlife aspect which does not appeal to all. One kind of has to do a pluses and minuses calculation based on trip preferences there. Horses for courses as the Brits say.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by serfty
OK, utilized the AA 15% (I know there have been better, but while the iron is hot ... or indeed the awards are available... ) and am flying from/to LAX, arriving Friday evening and departing Sunday afternoon.

Certainly not for me this time, Hilton Shinjuku it is ... on points (at this stage) ...
Nicely done, Serfty!

I've gone ahead and booked Hyatt Regency from Wednesday through to Sunday, with a suite upgrade confirmed. penegal, lowjhg and eightblack are booked there as well, last I heard.

Flights will be booked in due course, but will likely be CX into and out of either NRT or HND, depending on the schedule.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:37 pm

Interested (filled out the form)
Old Jul 19, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: DM-(DL)/CO/AA/US/ RW (Road Warrior)
I am interested. Looking forward to the event. (already filled the info)

Thanks!

Last edited by BondAir007; Jul 22, 2013 at 11:45 pm
Old Jul 20, 2013, 1:24 am

Programs: UAmm, Hyatt Plat,Marriott Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by SQ421
Nicely done, Serfty!

I've gone ahead and booked Hyatt Regency from Wednesday through to Sunday, with a suite upgrade confirmed. penegal, lowjhg and eightblack are booked there as well, last I heard.

Flights will be booked in due course, but will likely be CX into and out of either NRT or HND, depending on the schedule.
I too have booked the Hyatt Regency from Friday to Sunday. Arriving from Peking with flights still not booked as of yet. No way I can be in Tokyo till at least 1pm on Friday.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by mjm
Yes Shinjuku is wholly inconvenient in many ways. Individual hotels may have wonderful deals or service etc., but that notwithstanding, the area as a base of operations leaves a lot to be desired.

The Conrad is way more central for sure, more of a train friendly location. Roppongi is also the heart of much of the action in terms of museums, shopping, food etc. It also has a nightlife aspect which does not appeal to all.
Just wanted to throw out there that this is not the case for everyone, and rather depends on what you want to do in Tokyo. This is the Conrad in Shinbashi, right? I don't see how either is more convenient to move around the city unless you really specifically dislike either the west or the east side, since they're both on the Yamanote line. While it is possible to do nearly the same shopping elsewhere, I rather like shopping in Shinjuku and usually go to Shibuya over and over again, which is much easier to do from Shinjuku (I've never actually stayed there, though). On the other hand, I have never stopped at Shinbashi, but it does have the advantage of being close to Ginza and (relatively) Akihabara.

For me the proximity to Roppongi is meaningless as I only go there to eat Would need a lot more $$$ to be able to shop for anything there.

In short, I fully agree that you should weigh in the choice of where to stay based on what you want to do, so this was another perspective.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by SQ421
Nicely done, Serfty!

I switched from the Park Hyatt to Hyatt Regency to join the herd. Suite upgrade cleared.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:41 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by namika
Just wanted to throw out there that this is not the case for everyone, and rather depends on what you want to do in Tokyo. This is the Conrad in Shinbashi, right? I don't see how either is more convenient to move around the city unless you really specifically dislike either the west or the east side, since they're both on the Yamanote line. While it is possible to do nearly the same shopping elsewhere, I rather like shopping in Shinjuku and usually go to Shibuya over and over again, which is much easier to do from Shinjuku (I've never actually stayed there, though). On the other hand, I have never stopped at Shinbashi, but it does have the advantage of being close to Ginza and (relatively) Akihabara.

For me the proximity to Roppongi is meaningless as I only go there to eat Would need a lot more $$$ to be able to shop for anything there.

In short, I fully agree that you should weigh in the choice of where to stay based on what you want to do, so this was another perspective.
I appreciate the perspective but the simple fact of the matter is that the Conrad is far more central to much of Tokyo, stations from which people might catch trains to other activities, and the airport transportation. One can catch the Yamanote line to anywhere else on the loop but why spend the 20-30 minutes getting from Shinjuku on it to anywhere else from which you have to get a second line of the loop? Shibuya is easily accessible from Shinjuku yes, but similarly so from anywhere on the Ginza line.

For the visitor who speaks little Japanese, Shinjuku is a far more challenging location and not the best choice if ease, access and communication are paramount. As this event appears to be planned by people less familiar with Tokyo than me I thought I would offer an insider's perspective.

It is up to each person to decide if they will avail themselves of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.