Old Feb 9, 2014, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
INDIVIDUAL EVENT REGISTRATION

DO DINNER TICKETS

Schedule

AttendeesInbound FlightsAccommodationOutbound Flights

Getting there and getting around
Narita Express (N'EX) | N'EX Tokyo Direct Ticket | N'EX timetable from NRT | N'EX timetable to NRT |Keisei Skyliner | Keisei Skyliner Timetable | Airport Limousine Bus | Access to/from HND | Japan Rail Pass | JR Kanto Area Pass | Using Suica/Pasmo card

Route and station maps
Tokyo Metropolitan Area rail network map | JR East major route map | Tokyo Subway route map | JR Yamanote Line loop | Narita Airport (T1) station map | Narita Airport (T2) station map | Arriving in Shinjuku by Narita Express

Late Registration - Send Private Message to armagebedar, penegal and NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

2nd Japan Do | Tokyo | April 18-20, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by keirnna
If you really want rollercoasters there's always www.fujiq.jp/en/
^ ^ ^
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:41 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by keirnna
If you really want rollercoasters there's always www.fujiq.jp/en/
Or a closer but less scary one at Tokyo Dome City

http://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/e/
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Count me in as interested!

Even though I missed the inaugural, this DO played a big role in inspiring me to make my first visit to Japan before heading to PER for OzFest.

btw, while in Japan, I also visited both Disney Sea & Tokyo Disney (where I even experienced a true "E ticket" experience of doing a header off a curb resulting in a bloody face plant on the street ) and yet I would still return!

Just an FYI for those who don't know, unlike the US Disney parks, 1 or 2 day tickets are park specific.

Multi- park, "Hopper" tickets are only available from Day 3 on.

Last edited by bk3day; Jul 7, 2013 at 10:51 pm
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:56 am

Programs: LH Sen, UA 1K, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platin Ambassador
Great idea to initialize a 2nd Japan Do ^

Could'nt attend this year due to other travelplans, but marked now the easter-weekend 2014 in my calender for joining the 2nd Japan Do.

I registered a friend and myself to the list as maybes.

As Japan-Starters it would be great to see some Japan basics like a classic sightseeingtour of Tokyo or a tour to Fuji-Hakone-Izu-Nationalpark (with close looks to Fujisan and Ashinoko (lake)). This could be combined with a Shinkansen-ride.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
How about an all-you-can-eat sushi place? I did one of those 7 or 8 years ago with my two oldest sons. Had a great time, but I bet they were happy when we left! Two-hour time limit.

Bruce
Old Jul 8, 2013, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by bdschobel
How about an all-you-can-eat sushi place? I did one of those 7 or 8 years ago with my two oldest sons. Had a great time, but I bet they were happy when we left! Two-hour time limit.

Bruce
Or, you can get up at 3:30am, hike all the way to the fish market to find out that by 4:30am all the tickets had been given out, then stand in an ambiguous line until 8am to get stuffed into an uncomfortable space where you're elbow to elbow for what turned out to be fantastic sushi.

Next time we'll be more prepared - with a backpack of Sapporos!
Old Jul 8, 2013, 6:58 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tkey75
Or, you can get up at 3:30am, hike all the way to the fish market to find out that by 4:30am all the tickets had been given out, then stand in an ambiguous line until 8am to get stuffed into an uncomfortable space where you're elbow to elbow for what turned out to be fantastic sushi.

Based on reports from this year's attendees you'll have to be there by 2:30am to make sure to get a ticket. Since there's no shortage of places to hang around until 2:00am you can save on a hotel room for one night. @:-) ^
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels

At least it was good sushi!

Well, other than maybe the clams and baby squid...

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Based on reports from this year's attendees you'll have to be there by 2:30am to make sure to get a ticket. Since there's no shortage of places to hang around until 2:00am you can save on a hotel room for one night. @:-) ^
No kidding...haha!
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Maybe the group could buy a whole tuna, and getting the tickets included... plus all-you-can-eat sushi :-).
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The last part doesn't quite work when your flight out of HKG is delayed due to weather such that you land at NRT after the last NEX has left, leaving you to get on a bus to your hotel.

Okay, Japan First Timers, let that not scare you one bit. It was my first time in Japan for the first do, and it was a piece of cake (wven for me, whose knowledge of Japanese extends to Konnichiwa and Sayonara!) to get from NRT to the Hyatt Regency in Shinjuku using one of them hotel transfer buses that continue to operate late into the night.

On that note, too early to start a "who's staying where" thingie? I've got a booking at Hyatt Regency Shinjuku, as does penegal, lowjhg and I think eightblack

A couple of others have indicated Park Hyatt as their place of choice.

2c from a Japan Newbie, and I'll let the experts weigh in. I thought Shinjuku was an excellent area to be in. The train station is massive and I think you can get from there to anywhere in the network without much fuss. There's a few hotels (both chain, and otherwise) in the area, and walking around is quite easy. The Tokyo Metropolitan Government building is quite an easy landmark for those late night taxi rides back.

Last edited by SQ421; Jul 8, 2013 at 6:12 pm
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:18 am

Don't worry, even if you made the tour it's terrible.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by SQ421
2c from a Japan Newbie, and I'll let the experts weigh in. I thought Shinjuku was an excellent area to be in. The train station is massive and I think you can get from there to anywhere in the network without much fuss. There's a few hotels (both chain, and otherwise) in the area, and walking around is quite easy. The Tokyo Metropolitan Government building is quite an easy landmark for those late night taxi rides back.
Agreed - it was my first trip to Tokyo as well and Shinjuku was a good base. Plenty to explore and many hotels! There's also a convenient 7-11, which is one of the easier places to pull cash out of a US bank account.

Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Add me to the interested / maybe list!

I'm also interested in Disney.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JeepGuyDE
Add me to the interested / maybe list!

I'm also interested in Disney.
^

May I also request you to fill out the form linked in the opening post? It allows the organisers to easily collate the list of affirmatives/interesteds as well as, down the line, allows us to mail out information to your email.

No spam, we promise.

Cheers
SQ421 on behalf of the Japan Do Organising Team
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:35 pm
mjm
Original Member

Watching this and can perhaps offer a couple of tips.

April is the month when all new recruits start at companies in Japan and "Welcome Parties" are the norm here for several weeks in April (on weekdays). Thursday and Friday of the event most venues will fill up very quickly so it is strongly recommended to get reservations in place very very early.

In terms of central location, Shinjuku is one of the worst choices. It is on the west side of the city and to get there or from there to anywhere else is a hike. Shinjuku itself offers some choices but unless people are fluent in Japanese it is less language user friendly than other areas. Slightly further along the Yamanote (loop) line is Shibuya and adjacent to that Ebisu. Both significantly better choices for a larger group of visitors. Roppongi (GHT) is easy from either and the various pints from which train-based days trips will depart are more easily accessible too.

Some people like Shinjuku as an area to spend time but generally they are of a certain age. If a group wishes to go to Shinjuku for fun, it would be a far better activity destination than base of operations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.