Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

2013: The Great Alaska ADQ Do (7/24-7/27)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013: The Great Alaska ADQ Do (7/24-7/27)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by jackal
Just a heads-up--we're about to fill our second aircraft. The next person to book the floatplane bear-viewing tour is guaranteed a seat; after that, we'll need to get four more to confirm before the third (out of four total) planes will go out. If you're on the fence or just haven't gotten around to it, book now!
Plane #2 is filled. Let's start with plane #3! Remember, we only have 4 planes total (and actually, the fourth plane only has room for 3), so get your registrations in ASAP if you don't want to miss out on the bear viewing!

Originally Posted by BOB W
Not necessarily. AS will often swap out the combi if the loads require it, especially during the summer.
Plus we had a combi on the way to Nome last year (at least the crew that came in the second morning did).

Last edited by jackal; Mar 9, 2013 at 10:46 pm
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: US, HH
Ok I just registered, so mine will probably be the first for plane #3!
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GrjApp
Nope, you're #4 on plane #2. Your registration was the one I was referencing.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
DLG is worth the time it takes to get out of the plane and get right back on it (and waste your miles). Unless you can get a tour of the oil patch, SCC does nothing for me either.

Go to say you've been, but that's it.
Now that would be an interesting DO- Da Drillin' Do in SCC

I think DLG or AKN could have some good fishin' though :-:

Originally Posted by CDKing
I'm already booked BOS-SEA-ANC-ADQ-ANC-ADK-ANC-PDX-BOS at 50K AS miles. Upgrading to full flex Y on all segments is only an additional 15K miles so i can pretty much make any change i want with the Gold fee waiver
Why Y? But glad to see a good use of miles ^

Originally Posted by FortFun
Wow, you guys are speedy. I just booked. So I came here to announce it, only to discover I'm already listed as attending.

I'm in for the boat, the bears, and the BBQ. ^ ^

Very excited to be returning to AK.
Glad to have you aboard ^

We are on top of it like that.
Glad someone is ahead
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Also, the "Transportation on and around Kodiak" registration is showing with only a few spots left, since I only have a limited number of confirmed drivers at this time. If anyone who is registered for the DO is willing to rent one of the additional vehicles I have on hold and serve as a driver (we'll reimburse your rental expenses, of course), please let me know and I'll increase the allotment on that registration accordingly.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Is this the first Do in the history of FT where there isn't F or J service to the final destination?
Not necessarily. AS will often swap out the combi if the loads require it, especially during the summer.
I hope some of us get upgauged from the Beech 1900 we're on currently. I want my cookie!

Originally Posted by GrjApp
Plane #2 is filled. Let's start with plane #3!
Nope, you're #4 on plane #2. Your registration was the one I was referencing.
On the fence for the flight tour- sounds fun. But I've run into my fair share of wildlife in Alaska. Glad to have GrjApp joining us ^
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

First booking for plane #3 just rolled in. Book soon...more than half of the floatplane seats are now taken!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 1:54 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
very interested to attend. I have never been to Alaska and the schedule looks so great. ^

although I have to check a few things prior to confirming attendance. might take a week or so.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
very interested to attend. I have never been to Alaska and the schedule looks so great. ^

although I have to check a few things prior to confirming attendance. might take a week or so.
Let us know if you've got any questions. And its not too bad of a hop nonstop on DE (although miles may be lacking)
Old Mar 10, 2013, 3:40 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by beckoa
Let us know if you've got any questions. And its not too bad of a hop nonstop on DE (although miles may be lacking)
FRA-ANC-FRA on DE is a whopping 1000€ - no awards / it is holiday season in germany with skyrocketing air fares to the US. have to check for other award options ...
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Why Y? But glad to see a good use of miles ^
Only options for BOS/ANC were Choice Y (40K) and Full Flex F (100K). No way i was going to spend 1/2 a EK F award on a domestic F seat. I was able to get 10K RT saver on Era. I made sure to take advantage of the free one way on the One way AS awards. Even if I don't use then on this trip i can extend them and use them on another trip

If only the $355 BOS-ANC RT on UA was available for summer. I have one of those in September. Well there is a UA Saver F BOS-SFO-ANC one way on 7/20 but I don't want to come up that early

Last edited by CDKing; Mar 10, 2013 at 9:50 am
Old Mar 10, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
This DO is very tempting - just booked an early Oct. trip to ANC unfortunately, to take advantage of the cheap AA fares...

Hmmmm... two trips to AK this summer/fall? Can I squeeze that much vacation time? Thanks Jackal et al for setting this up!

On the fence.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pfbloom
...On the fence.
Sitting on a fence promotes the growth of hemorrhoids.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pfbloom
Hmmmm... two trips to AK this summer/fall?
Hey, I'm going back to Alaska three times (so far) this year, thanks to the $325 UA fare ex-PHL.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: AA: Exec. Plat, 4MM+, UA: 1K, 3MM+, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt: Globalist, Hilton: Diamond
Whooa, was off in the Canadian hinterlands and just about missed this.

Now signed up for just about everything on Eventbrite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.