Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Seminars October 11-13th, 2013-Registration SOLD OUT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fti
My guess is that you have never planned a large event before. I have (though not for 400+ people). I can tell you that $20 is CHEAP. You can't even begin to imagine how many hours Rick and Howie put into this event just for the love of seeing others gain insights into our hobby/addiction.
I have planned a large event, of one with 800+ people, though not one that involved people traveling from outside the city to attend.

$20 to change a name on a ticket, though? I understand you want to protect against people buying tons and selling at a profit, though I doubt that happens with a hobbyist seminar meetup. It's 7 months until the seminars and plans change.

Keep in mind, these aren't refundable, so you're not losing any direct revenue. All you're doing is transferring a ticket.

If I attend enough seminars, do I get seminar status? Can I then book an award ticket to attend a future event? If I have status, can I have free changes/cancellations?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by amolkold
$20 to change a name on a ticket, though? I understand you want to protect against people buying tons and selling at a profit, though I doubt that happens with a hobbyist seminar meetup. It's 7 months until the seminars and plans change.
I think you missed the point about all monies being raised through the transfer fees go to charities and not into the pockets of the volunteers. I think that this a great service they are doing to the community of FF'ers. So yes, $20 is very reasonable. To you it might just appear as a name change, but to keep track of the transfers and ensure that 2 people don't get in on the same ticket does involve some cost, how much, I don't know. But yes, it does involve cost/time/resources. So yes I will say it again, $20 is CHEAP.

And yes, to your point about plans changing, no one said that you have to register now. You can always register till September 30th as listed on the invite if your plans are so fluid. Now whether you get the sessions you want or not that's a different story. So its up to you to decide if $85 + $20 is worth your time and effort or if you would rather miss your sessions.

Keep in mind, these aren't refundable, so you're not losing any direct revenue. All you're doing is transferring a ticket.
As I said earlier, you don't take into consideration the cause of the $20 fee and also the "behind-the-scenes" work that is involved when organizing something of this magnitude. And having said that I'm absolutely sure that every single one of us has blown more than $20 at some point or the other in our lives to crib about this.

If I attend enough seminars, do I get seminar status? Can I then book an award ticket to attend a future event? If I have status, can I have free changes/cancellations?
That is an absurd statement. If you get to/already know the tricks of the trade and complain about $20 transfer fee, why would you want to attend multiple seminars? Just to get status without seeing the benefit? That to me sounds pointless to attend in the first place.

I apologize for my rant, but for newbies like me who are coming in to this hobby/obsession the $20 towards a transfer fee sounds EXTREMELY reasonable.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:59 am

Just registered for this!

I'm pretty excited about this event, especially as I'll be a local by the time the event comes around. Looking forward to learning some great ideas and networking with other like minded folks...this should be a fun event!

Thanks Rick/Howie/Sharon and all the speakers involved who are taking the time and effort to share strategies, tips and tricks to make travel more affordable and HELPING US BEAT THE AIRLINES AND BANKS AT THEIR OWN GAME! That alone to me is priceless!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by HariBlue108
I think you missed the point about all monies being raised through the transfer fees go to charities and not into the pockets of the volunteers. I think that this a great service they are doing to the community of FF'ers..
<SNIPPED>
To my knowledge ALL PROCEEDS (Collections less expenses) go to charities.

So as long as you can recoup whatever is that you think is appropriate...attend or not. To those who question or are on fences, Only you can make a decision for yourself.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:13 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by HMPS
To my knowledge ALL PROCEEDS (Collections less expenses) go to charities.

So as long as you can recoup whatever is that you think is appropriate...attend or not. To those who question or are on fences, Only you can make a decision for yourself.
last year we donated almost $15,000 to charity. this is a non profit all volunteer event.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
We could have a drawing for 300 $75.00 Gift Cards, at the end of the event...

And send 300 particiapants home happier..

Charity begins at Home...
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
last year we donated almost $15,000 to charity. this is a non profit all volunteer event.
+ 15000

Originally Posted by satman40
We could have a drawing for 300 $75.00 Gift Cards, at the end of the event...

And send 300 particiapants home happier..

Charity begins at Home...
Ye sbut isn't it better that 550 people went home knowing a part of their expense went to worthwhile charities ?

Also there are several sponsor / others donated raffle prizes.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I went home last year from the event and did not win a darn thing...

But it was a good time, so I'll be back...
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:54 pm

Is there a short description about each session?
I am curious about "Managing Family Accounts with Howie" and will like to know a bit more detail about it.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by HariBlue108
So yes I will say it again, $20 is CHEAP.
Perhaps for you, but not for me. In fact, to me it's just the principle of the matter. Start selling tickets 7 months in advance, have them likely sell out, then charge just to the change the name on the ticket?

And yes, to your point about plans changing, no one said that you have to register now. You can always register till September 30th as listed on the invite if your plans are so fluid.
Since you weren't here last year, you should know that the 2012 event was sold out in July, not September. It's likely that it will be sold out before last year's date now that it is more popular. The deadline to register is moot.

Now whether you get the sessions you want or not that's a different story. So its up to you to decide if $85 + $20 is worth your time and effort or if you would rather miss your sessions.
This is a downside to the ORD seminars compared to FTU, that one can pay for a ticket but not have access to a particular seminar. I've never been to ORD so I don't know the logistics, but it seems crummy to limit certain popular seminars to first comers, then charge a fee if we can't make it and want to give the ticket to someone else.

As I said earlier, you don't take into consideration the cause of the $20 fee and also the "behind-the-scenes" work that is involved when organizing something of this magnitude.
Did you not read my post? I have organized something of this magnitude. And I didn't institute a charge for giving a ticket to someone else.

And having said that I'm absolutely sure that every single one of us has blown more than $20 at some point or the other in our lives to crib about this.
So am I or am I not allowed to crib about this?

That is an absurd statement. If you get to/already know the tricks of the trade and complain about $20 transfer fee, why would you want to attend multiple seminars? Just to get status without seeing the benefit? That to me sounds pointless to attend in the first place.
Your eagerness to rant totally missed the sarcasm in that paragraph.

I apologize for my rant, but for newbies like me who are coming in to this hobby/obsession the $20 towards a transfer fee sounds EXTREMELY reasonable.
As a newbie -- a tip for this game -- watch your wallet! Fees and hidden costs add up! "There is no such thing as a free lunch!"

(Of course, certain status can get you free breakfast)

Last edited by amolkold; Mar 10, 2013 at 10:43 pm
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I've never been to ORD so I don't know the logistics, but it seems crummy to limit certain popular seminars to first comers, then charge a fee if we can't make it and want to give the ticket to someone else.
Its all about comfort for those attending the seminar. It's pretty much packed to the gills. Its even worse when people decide to sneak into a seminar they are not registered for.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Its all about comfort for those attending the seminar. It's pretty much packed to the gills. Its even worse when people decide to sneak into a seminar they are not registered for.
Is there a reason why this is a problem for this conference and not the "other" conference?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Is there a reason why this is a problem for this conference and not the "other" conference?
Does it matter? The organizers of this conference have come up with their registration procedures. What other conferences do isn't really relevant to what the organizers of this conference have chosen.

People can choose to attend if they think the conference will be of good value to them & they're ok w/ the registration procedures. If they don't think the conference will be of value to them and/or the registration procedure bothers them that much, then of course they can take a pass.

Cheers.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Does it matter? The organizers of this conference have come up with their registration procedures. What other conferences do isn't really relevant to what the organizers of this conference have chosen.

People can choose to attend if they think the conference will be of good value to them & they're ok w/ the registration procedures. If they don't think the conference will be of value to them and/or the registration procedure bothers them that much, then of course they can take a pass.

Cheers.
Agree 100 %.

WHat do they say ? " You can't change it from outside...so go inside and change it." Maybe the skeptics can take a very active role in helping th eorganization of this eagerly awaited yearly event so policies and procedures can change.

Until then as you say and as some of us "repeaters" do, register, help, learn, make comtacts, enjoy your travels!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I don't know about other FTU events but then i went to the first one in LGA, there was much more conference room space.

I have yet to see scalping an issue w/ ORD DO but here's a recent comment about FTU (bolding mine):

April’s Northern Virginia event is already a sell out with expected attendance of 650 people — the largest frequent flyer event ever. We’ve already seen ticket scalping of the event, with posted offers of $200+ (!!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.