Ann Arbor/DTW Area Happy Hour

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis First

After speaking with a few folks from the Ann Arbor/DTW area I wanted to see if there was enough interest to have a happy hour to talk about our hobby and obsession every month or two.

As a starting point I propose to meet over brew and grub at a local institution on Saturday, Nov 10 6 pm at Corner Brewery in Ypsilanti.

Please indicate if you are interested and will attend, or are interested in a future event but cannot make it on this date. I will try and keep the attendee list (second post) updated.

Hope to see everyone!

Address: 720 Norris Street Ypsilanti, MI 48198

Last edited by MidTierStatus; Oct 30, 2012 at 12:43 pm
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis First
Attendee List for Nov 10 Meetup

Confirmed:
MidTierStatus
gpapadop
Bikeguy
Frequent Miler
mmargel

Hopeful
Dmh12011

Regretful/Next Time
edotzaue
JujuJLT
dlouise37
darby1970
dranz
BobH
xshanex

Last edited by MidTierStatus; Nov 9, 2012 at 1:43 pm
Old Oct 19, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by MidTierStatus
Confirmed:
MidTierStatus
Count me in as of now. I have not been to this place in a very long time! Isn't it too loud for deep conversations? How about considering a place like Panera? They usually have at least one huge table that may be perfect. Plus free wifi and free coffee refills. Another suggestion is may consider doing it over breakfast/lunch instead of dinner on Saturday night as we family folks may have trouble getting away. Just a few suggestions.

Thanks for doing this. I wanted to start it up but always...as usual...fall behind!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Count me in as of now. I have not been to this place in a very long time! Isn't it too loud for deep conversations? How about considering a place like Panera? They usually have at least one huge table that may be perfect. Plus free wifi and free coffee refills. Another suggestion is may consider doing it over breakfast/lunch instead of dinner on Saturday night as we family folks may have trouble getting away. Just a few suggestions.

Thanks for doing this. I wanted to start it up but always...as usual...fall behind!
I am happy to move the time and location. Just wanted to see what the consensus was. The time and location can be changed if enough people want to do that. Breakfast can become difficult for the folks driving in from neighboring cities.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Great to see you get this going MidTier! I had a great time back in July with yall (and thanks for your help with the organizing of the Do!)
Old Oct 19, 2012, 7:37 pm

Put me down as likely (that date might conflict w my son's bday party -- don't know for sure yet)

BTW, Arbor Brewing Company is part of Rewards Network (iDine). Just saying...
Old Oct 19, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat (lifetime)
Put me down as Probable.

Leave it to Frequent Miler to maximize every potential mile

For future reference I can be flexible should you decide to vary the time.

Thanks MidTierStatus !
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
You realize Michigan plays Northwestern at home that weekend. Start time TBA.

I really think Ann Arbor will be extra crowded and would probably change the event to a non home game weekend.

I will try to attend, whatever you do.

The other MI home game left is Nov 17.

And if you went to State, I'm sorry!

GO BLUE!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Definitely we should not do this at a UM home FB Game as I always try to minimize my driving time around town those days!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 9:18 am
Original Poster

I should have probably checked the schedule before I proposed the date, but it was the only the weekend I was scheduled to be in town in November, and figured next weekend might be too soon.

I guess we have a couple of options:
1. Move the meetup to an off campus/main street location to a time not conflicting with the game.
2. Change the weekend (I'm happy to try for next weekend but any other weekend till Dec 15/16 somebody else will need to pick up the baton).

And oh yeah, GO BLUE!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by MidTierStatus
I should have probably checked the schedule before I proposed the date, but it was the only the weekend I was scheduled to be in town in November, and figured next weekend might be too soon.

I guess we have a couple of options:

1. Move the meetup to an off campus/main street location to a time not conflicting with the game.

2. Change the weekend (I'm happy to try for next weekend but any other weekend till Dec 15/16 somebody else will need to pick up the baton).

And oh yeah, GO BLUE!
I recommend not even trying to have any event in town on a football weekend, the place -- pardon the pun grid-locks and the lack of solid starting times makes planning anything impossible.

Also, while I'm thinking about Ann Arbor, the new HGI at Briarwood is going to open soon, possibly by the end of the month ....

and meanwhile the Sparties were so desperate to win that they tried a fake punt and a play with a lot of laterals and neither did them any good.

Bob H
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:39 am

I'm in and flexible about time and location. If we do it on game day getting around is usually not too bad. Parking is the problem. How about meeting someplace out on Jackson road? Isn't there a little breakfast place in the strip mall across from the movie theater?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, US - SPG, HH, PC, CC
I won't be able to make this event due to an upcoming trip, but would very much be interested in any future meetups.

And to add to the Frequent Milers comment, Arbor Brewing sister company, the Corner Brewery in Ypsilanti also participates in the iDine network. They might have the best meetup space in the county with plenty of tables/chairs that can be moved around and a relaxed/quiet atmosphere. It's also conveniently located 2 blocks from my house
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Breakfast/brunch might actually work the best assuming the game began around 3pm or later... I wish they would announce the timing.

Anybody know the name of the place dlouise37 is talking about? I guess Weber's is always an option even without the buffet.

Corner Brewery might a good spot for an evening meetup if the game starts early. It's a little detached from central AA and will ensure no traffic issue.

At this point I am going to leave the meetup on the same day, and try and make it work by playing with the time (and keeping my fingers crossed for a good turnout ).
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:37 am

Ok to leave the date the same and try to work around it I guess.

Webers is super crazy on FB game days!!!

The Corner Brewery in Ypsi DOES have the best meetup space.

I still vote for a Panera w/ a big conference table. Best would the Panera on Plymouth Road. I can be here early in the morning to "reseve it". The one on Eishenhower is a lot busier! Such conference tables hold at least 10!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.