Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inaugural/early 787 flights FT meet-up thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:37 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
OK! I will be on UA1146 (IAH-EWR) on 11/4. Sitting in 1A.

A same-day turn EWR-IAH-EWR on Sunday would have cost ~$1,500 or something crazy, so I'm taking a positioning flight to IAH on 11/3.
Saturday night stay = price down to $300. Minus $100 e-cert = $200.

I will use a Marriott Cat 1-4 free night cert in IAH. Never thought this thing would come in so handy!

Anyone FTers want to pre-party in Houston on the night of 11/3?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Aircraft Sub Questions

What happens for some reason if you booked one of these first 787 flights
for some reason they have to sub another aircraft for the 787, will they let you cancel and rebook or even a refund without a change fee. Is this a valid reason for waiving the fee. I have seen this happen before and it has gone either way.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Staying on topic (sort of)

United has confirmed that channel 9 will not be active on the 787 flights in November.

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
What happens for some reason if you booked one of these first 787 flights
for some reason they have to sub another aircraft for the 787, will they let you cancel and rebook or even a refund without a change fee. Is this a valid reason for waiving the fee. I have seen this happen before and it has gone either way.
Good question, but it is always safe to have a refundable ticket incase they don't. I hope they would as many are flying these flights just to be in the 787.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA767400

United has confirmed that channel 9 will not be active on the 787 flights in November.
Why?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL

Why?
I have no idea...I am glad I asked in advance! Wifi will not be available either
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I have no idea...I am glad I asked in advance! Wifi will not be available either

I'm disappointed about both. Thanks for asking!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott PP/LPE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Why?
It's a PMCO plane; the IFE package was determined pre-merger.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by (InsertUsername)
It's a PMCO plane; the IFE package was determined pre-merger.
Is it possible to change an IFE package, or do you have to order a whole new plane to change the IFE?
Most of the PMCO-ordered 787s haven't even been built yet.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; United 1K; Hyatt Platinum; Marriott Gold
IAH-EWR

My partner and I are on 11/4 IAH-EWR UA1146 seats 5K and 5L.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:23 am

11/4 iah - sfo ua1435

Currently booked in economy. Trying to use a RPU to get into F.

Hopefully it clears.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:23 pm

I'm on the inaugural IAH-ORD flight 11/4. Nice bonus as the flight was already booked and upgraded as the last leg of a longer itinerary and this is an equipment sub.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
Is it possible to change an IFE package, or do you have to order a whole new plane to change the IFE?
Most of the PMCO-ordered 787s haven't even been built yet.
The seats and the IFE package were ordered years ago. UA isn't just going to throw out those systems just to add channel 9.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by colpuck
The seats and the IFE package were ordered years ago. UA isn't just going to throw out those systems just to add channel 9.
Is it not possible to change an order for 50+ planes' worth of seats and IFE that you placed years in advance? Do you have to take delivery of the exact specifications you ordered and completely throw it out, or is it possible to make modifications since it has not yet even been built?

Similarly, is it impossible to integrate Channel 9 into CO's entertainment system the way it is intergrated into UA's entertainment system on the new configs, without throwing out the entire seat and everything?

If you have to throw out the entire seat, video screen, and everything, then I can see why UA would not want to do it. But if the software can be reprogrammed, or IFE details for not-yet-built planes can be modified, then "they already ordered the seats and IFE" sounds like an excuse offered in place of other, actual reason(s).

From what I recall (and I could be wrong) when the Koito fiasco broke, CO changed their not-yet-delivered 737s to use Recaro seats, with different IFE (i.e., no IFE). They did not have to cancel their existing 737 orders and/or throw out the airframes upon delivery, and place a brand new order for 737s specifying the right seats, in order to change the seating and IFE.

Last edited by EsquireFlyer; Sep 13, 2012 at 11:42 am
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
Is it not possible to change an order for 50+ planes' worth of seats and IFE that you placed years in advance? Do you have to take delivery of the exact specifications you ordered and completely throw it out, or is it possible to make modifications since it has not yet even been built?

Similarly, is it impossible to integrate Channel 9 into CO's entertainment system the way it is intergrated into UA's entertainment system on the new configs, without throwing out the entire seat and everything?

If you have to throw out the entire seat, video screen, and everything, then I can see why UA would not want to do it. But if the software can be reprogrammed, or IFE details for not-yet-built planes can be modified, then "they already ordered the seats and IFE" sounds like an excuse offered in place of other, actual reason(s).

From what I recall (and I could be wrong) when the Koito fiasco broke, CO changed their not-yet-delivered 737s to use Recaro seats, with different IFE (i.e., no IFE). They did not have to cancel their existing 737 orders and/or throw out the airframes upon delivery, and place a brand new order for 737s specifying the right seats, in order to change the seating and IFE.
Actually, with the Koito seats CO had I think up to about 8-10 aircraft sitting around BFI and RNT waiting for seats.

The seats and the IFE units have been sitting in a warehouse for a couple of years now. They are already bought and paid for. Not to mention a new IFE system will have go through the FAA certification process. If the only thing that needed to be done was reload the software then all of the CO IFE units would have channel nine. However, since that is not the case, some physical changes to each aircraft have to happen. Again, this means recertifing the new configuration. Either way it is time and money UA doesn't want to spend. They want the plane in the air.

I am sure when UA decides to replace en-mass the IFE on the 75/6/7/8 channel nine will be added.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
The 'kat and his SO booked the last two windows in F LAX-IAH.
Hope we can see past the big engine.
All the other F windows are taken, mostly singles.
Could that be . . FT'er plane geeks? (Like me?)

Arrives past 11 PM, guessing too late to visit the IAH lounge.
But we'll do the LAX one fo sho.

Any recos on a 4-star Houston hotel to Priceline for 1 night?
Doesn't have to be near airport as we're driving.
Just want something really nice with a little price.

Let's hope they don't run out of champagne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.