Wiki Posts
Search

Inaugural/early 787 flights FT meet-up thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver
United’s first Dreamliner ready for take off Sunday

http://www.suntimes.com/business/160...ff-sunday.html

Fasten your seat belt, stow your tray table and adjust your seat to the upright position: After one heck of a delay, United Airlines’ first Boeing 787 Dreamliner is ready for takeoff.

At 7:20 a.m. Sunday, the Chicago-based carrier is scheduled to operate its inaugural commercial flight aboard the new 219-seat jet, departing from George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston and arriving at 9:51 a.m. at O’Hare.

It promises to be a historic day in aviation history, as United is the first North American carrier — and one of the first in the world — to add the long-awaited aircraft to its fleet.

Multiple production delays have made waiting for the Dreamliner a bit of a nightmare. United took possession of its first 787 in September, more than three years after its originally scheduled delivery date. On Wednesday, the airline received its second Dreamliner.

Carriers have been clamoring for years to get the mid-size, twin-aisle plane built by Boeing Co., headquartered in Chicago. The 787, made largely of lightweight composite material instead of traditional aluminum, costs less to fuel and to maintain than other aircraft its size.

All Nippon Airways received the first Dreamliner, which made its inaugural flight a year ago.

The first mid-size commercial plane capable of flying big-jet distances, the Dreamliner has the potential to open up hundreds of new non-stop routes between cities where customer demand hasn’t been high enough to justify the use of larger planes.

It allows people in mid-size cities such as Cleveland, for example, to fly directly to some international destinations without having to transfer to bigger planes at major hubs. That translates into less “pass through” traffic at busy airports like O’Hare.

United plans to fly the Dreamliner domestically for a couple of months before using it on international routes.

The 787 also makes the flying experience more pleasurable. It feels less claustrophobic than similar-sized planes, thanks in part to ample headroom and larger windows. Overhead luggage bins are bigger, which will help in the increasingly hostile battle to store carry-on bags.

The cabin boasts enhanced ventilation, higher humidity levels and air pressure commensurate with a lower altitude — reducing the potential for headaches, dry eyes and other discomfort that goes along with lengthy flights.

All of these factors have landed the Dreamliner, with a list price around $210 million, at the top of many airlines’ wish lists. Boeing has orders for more than 800 of the aircraft, including 50 from United Continental Holdings Inc., parent company of United Airlines.

United, which is supposed to get five Dreamliners by the end of the year, recently said that Boeing was running behind schedule on delivering its subsequent 787s. The news disappointed some aviation enthusiasts who’d booked Dreamliner flights that will now take place on different planes. United has been notifying those customers affected by the changes, “offering to refund or rebook customers who specifically intended to fly on one of the early Dreamliner flights,” a United spokeswoman said.

Wednesday’s delivery of United’s second Dreamliner was a few days later than anticipated. The Seattle Times, relying on a Boeing source, reported that two more 787s earmarked for United aren’t far behind.

“We understand and share our customers’ disappointment at potentially not being able to provide service with the airplane when expected,” Boeing spokesman Tim Bader wrote in an email. “And like them, we prioritize ensuring the safety and reliability of our products above all other concerns.”
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Channel9
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
I am expecting it to leave from an E gate with beautiful views of the plane from the United Club and plenty of room to move a big plane like that around.
SFO: Yes, that would make more sense.

Another oddity...flightaware has tail number N20904 (United's first Dreamliner) at IAH, okay, that makes sense. But it lists it's next flight as IAH --> LAX on Sunday at 4:30 PM CST. Strange, it's next flight should be UA1116 ? Unless United is using is SECOND Dreamliner for UA1116 which I believe was just delivered today.

Although...on United.com in my reservation, it does list a tail number of "3904" which is pretty close to N20904.

-Channel9

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N20904
It will be 3904.

I heard we leave out if gate E5
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:51 pm

Your upcoming United flight 1116 to Chicago O'Hare

FYI, Just received the following email:

"United is proud to be the first North American carrier flying the 787 Dreamliner. The Dreamliner is a revolutionary aircraft, offering improved lighting, bigger windows, larger overhead bins and enhanced ventilation systems, along with increased fuel efficiency and reduced carbon emissions. Your flight from Houston Bush Intercontinental to Chicago O'Hare on November 4, 2012, will be the first passenger flight of the United 787 Dreamliner for a U.S. airline.

Since this is an inaugural flight, members of the news media and other customers will be filming in the gate area and on the aircraft to capture the event. If you have questions regarding your flight, please call our Reservations Center at 1-800-826-0254, Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Central time. Thank you for flying with United on this historic flight."
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Just got the email as well.

Can't wait for Sunday!
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Update

Is it so far we have 18 FTers on the inaugural UA1116 IAH-ORD ?

Possible for all the other 6 FTers also post their seats numbers so that we at least get to know each other even we don't have a gathering ? I just gather all the names from the entire thread and also post #1

First (F)

1D UnitedFlyGuy
4L ORDnHKG
6E Mommy Points
6K joony

UA767400 ?
j1j2j38 ?
Weatherboy ?

Economy (Y)

16K buckeyefanflyer
17K/18K roguecantaloupe
18J paranoiatx
21? exiled2tx
25A alexphj
27A LoyalEagle
27E/27F calfornia09
27L snowed
31J N777UA
32A Channel9

5khours ?
SFO 1K ?
777Brian ?

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Nov 2, 2012 at 7:22 pm
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold, Avis PC, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG

Possible for all the other 6 FTers also post their seats numbers so that we at least get to know each other even we don't have a gathering ? I just gather all the names from the entire thread and also post #1

First (F)

1D UnitedFlyGuy
4L ORDnHKG
6E Mommy Points
6K joony

UA767400 ?
j1j2j38 ?
Weatherboy ?

Economy (Y)

16K buckeyefanflyer
17K/18K roguecantaloupe
18J paranoiatx
21? exiled2tx
25A alexphj
27E/27F calfornia09
27L snowed
32A Channel9

5khours ?
SFO 1K ?
777Brian ?
I will also be on the flight at seat 27A.

And Boarding Area blogger Frequently Flying has more information about flight 1116.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/freque...nd-dreamliner/

In regards to meet up on Saturday night, I'm in. I'll be arriving around 1:30 tomorrow and I am staying at Hyatt Houston North.

I have an United Club membership so I can guest in others.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: United Premier Silver, Southwest A-List, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Gold, Starbucks Gold :)
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG

First (F)

1D UnitedFlyGuy
4L ORDnHKG
6E Mommy Points
6K joony

UA767400 ?
j1j2j38 ?
Weatherboy ?

Economy (Y)

16K buckeyefanflyer
17K/18K roguecantaloupe
18J paranoiatx
21? exiled2tx
25A alexphj
27E/27F calfornia09
27L snowed
32A Channel9

5khours ?
SFO 1K ?
777Brian ?
Hi all,

Long time reader/lurker, newbie poster.

I am in 31J at the moment, hoping to move up to a window or aisle E+ after check-in opens.

I will also be flying on the 787 from ORD back to IAH and onto LAX.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: SAA, DL, BA, UA, IHG, SPG
I'll be on the inaugural IAH-ORD in Y - I've seen a lot of talk about, but no actual details regarding a meet-up. Is anything planned?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:49 pm

Water cannon salute confirmed for Ohare

So awesome! United CEO Jeff Smisek will also be joining us for the duration of UA1116.

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...a-festive.html
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:57 pm

So awesome! United CEO Jeff Smisek will also be joining us for the duration of UA1116.

My question is he riding F or Y?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by aviationwiz
I'll be on the inaugural IAH-ORD in Y - I've seen a lot of talk about, but no actual details regarding a meet-up. Is anything planned?
aviationwiz: Nothing official yet. However, it seems most of us are staying near IAH so I am down with anything near the airport. There is a bar near my hotel (ramada IAH south) that I was thinking about going to, absent anything else, called Hoot County Saloon.

-Channel9
(Mike)
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

Sounds like he'll just be talking to you..

United CEO Jeff Smisek is expected to make some remarks at the O’Hare gate about the significance of the Dreamliner
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by UA767400
My question is he riding F or Y?
Good question. More than likely F surrounded by reporters and handlers.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

Sounds like he'll just be talking to you..

United CEO Jeff Smisek is expected to make some remarks at the O’Hare gate about the significance of the Dreamliner
He is speaking at IAH & ORD on Sunday.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:53 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I am sitting in front of you in 16K. Looking forward for the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.