First Annual Non-Denominational Kosher Hannuka Do! NYC 11th December

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Annual Non-Denominational Kosher Hannuka Do! NYC 11th December

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dovster
Actually, the only ones really worth meeting are me and that bimbo, Sara Lee.
I used to love Bimbo cookies. That's wrong, isn't it?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by ysolde
I used to love Bimbo cookies. That's wrong, isn't it?
It is in NYC. Bloomberg may haul you off to court for it.

In fact, we are going to need one member at the Do to measure the size of the Dr. Brown's drinks lest we all wind up in the pokey.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:20 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by ShopAround
You are man after my own heart. I would share your knish and latke anytime. (Although I admit I'm more of a kreplach than a knaidlach girl.)

And I wouldn't dream of drinking anything but a Dr. Brown's cream soda at a deli.
You’re on!
In fact, we are going to need one member at the Do to measure the size of the Dr. Brown's drinks lest we all wind up in the pokey.
There is no need to be concerned about that, as Dr. Brown’s sodas are usually served from the can, and I have never seen free refills of Dr. Brown’s sodas at Kosher delicatessens — or anywhere else, for that matter.

We should be okay — at least, in that particular respect...
Originally Posted by ysolde
So looking forward to meeting all of you!!!!
Why?!?

Be careful for what you wish...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:29 am
Original Poster

(Although I admit I'm more of a kreplach than a knaidlach girl.)
Your gastronomical preferences are of no matter to me. It is well-known on Flyer Talk that I am an equal opportunity Dirty Old Man.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:20 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Canarsie
You are sweet. Thank you.

My preference, however, would be bialies from Bell, manufactured in that neighborhood in Brooklyn known as Canarsie.

After some research, I found out that Levy’s was acquired by Arnold’s, which still manufactures different varieties of Jewish rye bread today. I can get that here in the Atlanta area.

This one is for the Dovster, however: Arnold’s — as well as Entenmann’s, Sara Lee and other major bakery brands in the United States — is owned by the Mexican conglomerate Bimbo Bakeries.
There is a Bimbo Bakeries location in MDT, and I know some of the employees there.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by kipper
There is a Bimbo Bakeries location in MDT, and I know some of the employees there.
I saw gefilte fish on the menu, but no kippers — not even for breakfast.

Do you plan on being the lone kipper inside 2nd Ave Deli on December 11?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:17 am

I saw gefilte fish on the menu, but no kippers — not even for breakfast.

Do you plan on being the lone kipper inside 2nd Ave Deli on December 11?
No... Some of us have to work for a living.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kipper
No... Some of us have to work for a living.
Admit it. You avoid NYC for religious reasons. You will not be allowed to bring in any of the guns that you worship.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
And I wouldn't dream of drinking anything but a Dr. Brown's cream soda at a deli.
Well, you'd be wrong. Cel-Ray is the canonical flavor.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:40 am

Admit it. You avoid NYC for religious reasons. You will not be allowed to bring in any of the guns that you worship.
Well, I do try to avoid NY and NYC due to the gun issue...
Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alhcfp
Also- there's Ben's Kosher Deli 209 W. 38th. Good food w/o tourist attraction atmosphere.
Originally Posted by mhnadel
2nd Avenue Deli has much better food.
I have no reason to doubt what either of you are saying, and the final decision will be up to ysolde after he speaks to the managers of the two places, but I just discovered one interesting fact: Ben's is in the SkyMiles program and gives 3 miles for every $1 charged.

(I tend to believe that it is also part of all the related Rewards Network programs.)
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Ben's is in the SkyMiles program and gives 3 miles for every $1 charged.
My father said You get what you pay for. Avoid Ben's. It's acceptable, but not great.

dh
Old Aug 24, 2012, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
My father said You get what you pay for. Avoid Ben's. It's acceptable, but not great.
Whether or not you are toying with us, will you attend the Kosher Delicatessen Reality Tour and have lunch with us?

We will ensure that the microphone is out of order when the Dovster attempts to use it.

Announcing the 1st annual Dovster Kosher Delicatessen Reality Tour aka KDRT. 1 or 2 seats available.

Date: December 11, 2012
Time: 9:30, with pushback at 11:00. Actually, I have no idea what time this officially starts or ends.

Theme: Returning to our roots with a real deli sandwich.
Dedication: KDRT 1 is dedicated to someone, but to whom — we are not yet sure.
Theme: We’re going to eat real Kosher delicatessen. No imitations.

No pick up at any particular time Wednesday morning in Manhattan. No drop-off either. We will have a tradition of eating on time.

Besides eating Kosher delicatessen (one of my favorite types of food), we eat, and eat, and eat. Can you say ‘real’ New York delicatessen? Can you say ‘delicious’ pastrami sandwiches? Just ask any of the folks who will be on this tour. We arrive. We sit. We eat.

If you’re new to Flyertalk, the tour is a great way to make new friends.
At the end of the KDRT tour 1, we have no idea what will happen. All depends on the number of attendees.

Figure about $25- $40 a person if we do a sit down lunch at 2nd Ave Deli. This is about the same price as what you would pay in Manhattan because you will be in Manhattan; and about the same size portion. Nothing is better than the food. Details to be worked out.

Last year, the sit down did not exist because this did not happen last year. 2012 plans will depend on how many eaters come along.

The lunch will be open to everyone. If you're not on the Tour, you’ll have to take the subway to the restaurant. It's $2.25 one way. We do not expect any hitch-hikers to Manhattan — unless certain attendees choose to do so.

Start planning now. Late autumn time in New York is beautiful. Consider yourself invited.

If you’ve been on the tour before and want to go again, then you must be deli-rious because this tour has yet to occur. If you’re from New York, you’re weightlisted too because chances are that you have eaten too much Kosher deli sandwiches. Thinking about bringing a friend or relative? They have no status and neither will you; so we’ll have to wait and see if they clear the Dovster list. All of the above lists will clear by December 15, as the event will have already been over. Don’t wait to decide.

Past tour highlights include:

2001...poor AnnaS having a cold, which has nothing to do with this tour.
2002...Lisamcgu making us stop for White castle hamburgers instead of Kosher delicatessen. What a poor choice.
2003...mjm insisting on a Kosher delicatessen break. After I stopped laughing at him for thinking that Brooklyn would even have a Kosher delicatessen — which it does... I woke up and realized that I never met him.
2004...gorging on food at marysunshine's house...and this was a snack, but not Kosher delicatessen!
2005...cawhite knocking on the door of my childhood Kosher delicatessen; while I ordered some duck covered with gravy. It was a priceless moment — until I realized that the only place I met cawhite was in Chicago. Also, a Tony Soprano type sitting at the bar added some extra flavor to our experience by convincing us to eat at an Italian restaurant instead.
2006...Our bodies squeezing past a doubleparked car on a side street after eating too much Kosher delicatessen. You can just imagine the typical Brooklyn sweating — even from those who are not from Brooklyn. Also, the tour not getting its 15 minutes of fame on Cable television News 12 Brooklyn. Do not check it out as it does not exist http://news12.com/BK/topstories/article?id=175940# use name: dovster, password: flyertalkmember (will not work).
2007... When did that year happen?!?
2008... “I had no intention of stopping at my childhood home. I do not have any intention of doing so in 2012 either, as I will have no time to do so.
This will not have been the moment on KDRT 1. Every year, there should always be one moment that’s noteworthy — right?”

2009... We were not filmed throughout the day for a documentary, so it will never come out one of these days.
2011... the process of preparing corned beef went MX (mechanical). 90 minute delay when done by hand.

Note:

We rotate seats in the delicatessen. Seats 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A and 2B are reserved for a couple of gluttonous attendees (yes, that means you).
We make plenty of stops before continuing to eat.

No talking miles and points when the Dovster (ahem) lecturing on Kosher delicatessen or his concubine conquests.

It takes a certain type of person to put up with other Flyertalkers for lunch. If you're looking for an excuse to visit NY in December, the First Annual Non-Denominational Kosher Delicatessen Chanukah Reality Tour (FANDKDCRT) is it. Yes, I realize I just changed the name yet again. I felt like it. So there. Nyah.

Please post below if you’re interested. I’ve met a few of you along the road this past year and you have ‘dibs’ if you're interested in joining us for a fun lunch in a Kosher delicatessen.

If you’re interested in coming along, I do not need you to pm me your:

-Handle and real name.
-Hotel you're staying at, when available.
-Cell #
-Copy of legal birth certificate
-First-born child, if you have any

The 2007 thread is not here...

...and neither is the 2008 Trip Report...

...nor 2009 thread ...

...nor is there a 2010 thread.

Oh, well...
Old Aug 24, 2012, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

-Copy of legal birth certificate
Fortunately, this is Community Buzz, not OMNI/PR, so we don't have to argue about whether the short form is acceptable or if only the long form will suffice.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dhammer53

dh
Much as I respect you Dan, I had one of the best sandwiches I've had all year at Ben's earlier this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.