Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 24, 12, 7:57 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicagoland, IL, USA
Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 9,422
Aug. 25 ORD-area dinner with Captain Denny: Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund

UPDATE: Sweet Willie has scoped out a place for the dinner:

Shoeless Joe's Ale House & Grille
10290 West Higgins Road
http://www.shoelessjoesrosemont.com

Saturday, August 25, 6 pm. Please advise if you will be coming as the restaurant would like a count.

Who among us will be tough enough to fulfill "Da Big Hurt Challenge"?:

Handmade 35-ounce Angus patty topped with American Cheese & Bacon on a special bun.
Finish it by yourself & receive a FREE Shoeless Joe’s BIG HURT T-Shirt. $24.99

UA's Captain Denny will once again be in Chicago and we are having a dinner with him August 25 to kick off fundraising for the Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund. Captain Dahl was the pilot of United Flight 93 on 9/11 and a friend of Captain Denny. After his death, a foundation was started to provide scholarship support to students of aviation.:

http://dahlfund.org/

For those of you unfamiliar with Captain Denny, here is a WSJ profile of him from a few years ago:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118826634834410559.html

And a CBS video from 2007: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=3223866n

Also attending will be Captain Denny's friend American Airlines Capt John Lohmar. He is the owner and operator of a T-6 Texan in which he competes at the Reno Air Races each year in mid September, and he'll be showing videos and discussing his racing.

Here is the thread from last year about a very similar event:

2011 Capt. Jason Dahl Scholarship fund - contribute, you may win a T-6 "Texan" ride!

Donations (federally tax-deductible, as the Dahl Fund is a 501(c)3 organization) will be taken in the days after the dinner and tickets will be issued to donors for a drawing to be held 9/11 as was done last year. When we have all the details on prizes and the donation process, they will be posted in the Flyertalk Cares! forum. Please subscribe to this thread or check in periodically.

Hope to see you there. Please post if you definitely will come or might come so we can get a count. Thanks.

Definitely planning to attend

Capt Denny+1
toomanybooks
Sweet Willie
cheltzel+1
Where2next?+1
OnAMileHigh
crankychick
EsquireFlyer
KMA26
u2fan
BL1KITW +1
JoeJSFB
SkiAdcock
WanderLuster
FriendlySkies
the_happiness_store
cawhite
CubsFanJohn
HMPS
YRKInsider


Maybe

iluv2fly
DLroads
__________________
Like horses or bourbon? Come to LEX with us in April: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...12-2015-a.html

Last edited by toomanybooks; Aug 25, 12 at 12:13 pm.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 12, 8:25 pm   #2
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ORD (MDW stinks)
Programs: UAMM, AA Plat, A/Plat IHG, Hyatt Plat, CC Gold
Posts: 20,802
deleted, outdated info.........

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Aug 15, 12 at 7:55 pm.
Sweet Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 12, 1:03 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, GE
Posts: 2,346
Put me in +1 as probable (haven't talked to my wife yet)
cheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 12, 3:47 pm   #4
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold/1.78MM, Marriott LifetimePlatinum
Posts: 42,758
I'm a maybe.

I leave the day after Labor Day for a 9-day biz trip to AMS and my clients wait until the last minute to get me info I need for work that needs to be done, so usually I'm working 7days/week the last couple of weeks of August. Not sure I'll be able to get away, although will try.

Cheers.
__________________
Sharon
SkiAdcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 12, 4:27 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, GE
Posts: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
Put me in +1 as probable (haven't talked to my wife yet)
Just talked to the DW ... move us from probable to definite.
cheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 12, 5:21 pm   #6
Moderator: Chicago & Dining Buzz
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 15,884
I'm a strong maybe. Think I'll be in town that weekend.
__________________
Nigel Tufnel: These go to eleven.
iluv2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 12, 10:11 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 169
Dinner Update

To all my flying friends,

If you are in ORD on the 25th I would love to see you. Last year on this date we were remembering the memory of Capt Jason Dahl and that is what I would like to do again. It is not a fund raiser per se because I am not going to ask for any money during the dinner. The raffle takes place through the Flyer Talk blog which sandiego1k will post on the 25th and chances are accepted on the dahlfund.org website via paypal.

Last year we raffled off a ride in a WWII T-6 Texan. American Airlines Capt John Lohmar owns the aircraft and will again offer it as our prize. Capt John races the aircraft at the Reno Air Races in mid September and the winner will also get two tickets and pit passes to the race. Capt John will also be joining us at the dinner and will bring along some footage of his Reno Racing career.

As you all know Capt Dahl tragically lost his life when terrorist took control of his aircraft. His wife, Sandy Dahl, started a scholarship in his name to keep his memory and love of flying alive. She has commented many times that this effort lets the terrorist know that they have not won.

Sandy presented ten students with $18,000 in scholarships on May 12th. Two weeks later she passed away in her sleep at a young age of 52. Sandy will be sadly missed. Sandy was a terrific advocate for Jason and both their memories will be with us as we continue her work.

Capt Denny
Capt Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 12, 9:01 am   #8
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL (ORD), Phoenix AZ (PHX)
Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Posts: 5,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
Hope to see you there. Please post if you definitely will come or might come so we can get a count.
Maybe, I will be in ORD that weekend but have a previous obligation that is to be scheduled for either the 25th or 26th. I will try to influence it for the 26th.
__________________
Pics of my BKK escape NBC video, text
gfowler-ord-1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 12, 9:36 am   #9
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: DEN & AOK
Programs: UA 1KMM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG
Posts: 328
Hi all-

It's been a crazy year and I haven't been around the boards much, but received an email on this and I look forward to reconnecting with Denny and all.
Was planning to be in Chicago that weekend enroute to a conference, so this should work out.

s
Where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 12, 10:35 am   #10
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: LAX,JFK/EWR
Programs: UA Premier Platinum, AA Platinum, TK*G Elite, SPG Gold
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Denny View Post
To all my flying friends,

If you are in ORD on the 25th I would love to see you. Last year on this date we were remembering the memory of Capt Jason Dahl and that is what I would like to do again. It is not a fund raiser per se because I am not going to ask for any money during the dinner. The raffle takes place through the Flyer Talk blog which sandiego1k will post on the 25th and chances are accepted on the dahlfund.org website via paypal.

Last year we raffled off a ride in a WWII T-6 Texan. American Airlines Capt John Lohmar owns the aircraft and will again offer it as our prize. Capt John races the aircraft at the Reno Air Races in mid September and the winner will also get two tickets and pit passes to the race. Capt John will also be joining us at the dinner and will bring along some footage of his Reno Racing career.

As you all know Capt Dahl tragically lost his life when terrorist took control of his aircraft. His wife, Sandy Dahl, started a scholarship in his name to keep his memory and love of flying alive. She has commented many times that this effort lets the terrorist know that they have not won.

Sandy presented ten students with $18,000 in scholarships on May 12th. Two weeks later she passed away in her sleep at a young age of 52. Sandy will be sadly missed. Sandy was a terrific advocate for Jason and both their memories will be with us as we continue her work.

Capt Denny

Captain Denny,

Thanks for the email invite. I won't be able to join as I have to be in NY.
It's been a long time since I last flew on your aircraft,
Could you post your Aug Schedule please, I go back and forth between JFK-LAX and would like to hop on one of your flights in Aug if possible.

Cheers,
Ari
aricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 12, 11:08 am   #11
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by aricane View Post
Captain Denny,

Thanks for the email invite. I won't be able to join as I have to be in NY.
It's been a long time since I last flew on your aircraft,
Could you post your Aug Schedule please, I go back and forth between JFK-LAX and would like to hop on one of your flights in Aug if possible.

Cheers,
Ari
Capt Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 12, 11:09 am   #12
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 169
Wilco

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricane View Post
Captain Denny,

Thanks for the email invite. I won't be able to join as I have to be in NY.
It's been a long time since I last flew on your aircraft,
Could you post your Aug Schedule please, I go back and forth between JFK-LAX and would like to hop on one of your flights in Aug if possible.

Cheers,
Ari
Ari,

Pat with a bunch of numbers will have it posted shortly. I will get it to her immediately.

Capt Denny
Capt Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 12, 11:27 am   #13
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicagoland, IL, USA
Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 9,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k View Post
Maybe, I will be in ORD that weekend but have a previous obligation that is to be scheduled for either the 25th or 26th. I will try to influence it for the 26th.
Will put you as maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2next? View Post
Hi all-

It's been a crazy year and I haven't been around the boards much, but received an email on this and I look forward to reconnecting with Denny and all.
Was planning to be in Chicago that weekend enroute to a conference, so this should work out.

s
Will put you as planning to attend.
__________________
Like horses or bourbon? Come to LEX with us in April: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...12-2015-a.html
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 12, 12:25 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago - West Loop
Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Turkish Gold, Hyatt Plat,SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,Starbucks Gold
Posts: 840
Yes, please

The stars have aligned and it looks like I can attend this event. Adding to my calendar now.
OnAMileHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 12, 1:56 pm   #15
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: JRA
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 6,555
Awesome! Please sign me up.
__________________
UA: "Sweeping" elite upgrades under the rug since 2012.
CollegeFlyer d/b/a EsquireFlyer. Names change. Values don't.
EsquireFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:30 am.