Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

PDX dinner, UA station+tower tour w/Capt. Denny Flanagan -- Jan. 21-22, 2012

Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold

opushomes is taking over hosting the event. Thank you, SanDiego1K.

January 22,2012 0600, TOUR SEE POST 604, BE AT United No later than 0730. Instructions will be provided there.January 18, PRELIMINARY TOUR INFO IS HERE http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17838058-post436.html

If any attendee has information about anyone inadvertently lost please let me know immediately.

There are only 2 spots left for dinner as of today, January 11. unless we have cancellations or non-payment. The airport tour is closed to new people, no waiting list. United cannot be overwhelmed because "just one more won't hurt". Anyone not registered just showing up in order to get in will not be admitted. If United does not have your full name and FF number you will be denied boarding.

Not receiving your payment by the due date results in the very real risk of you being removed from the attendance list. Remember, I am personally responsible if you do not pay and I include you in the numbers given to Widmer.

Thanks to all who are attending this event. Rest assured that I have found a venue for dinner so that no one will starve or waste away from thirst. The choices allowing a group this size in a private room are limited, in retrospect, really limited.

For those attending from out of town who have not been here before, the easiest and cheapest way to get downtown is using our light rail system called MAX. http://www.trimet.org/schedules/maxredline.htm The station is just outside baggage claim near the A concourse. This is the opposite end of the terminal from UA arrivals one floor down. Cost is presently $2.40 for an all zone ticket and travel time is 38 minutes.

All major hotel chains except Hyatt and lots of boutique properties are represented downtown. There is a Hyatt Place at the airport. PM if you want opinions about the properties.

We will have the room starting at 6 p.m. for those who want to come early and socialize. I have not ordered appetizers as the menu is extensive. We will have wait staff commencing at 6 so please take advantage of the three hours that we have the room. So the official kick-off of this event is 6 p.m. You can expect to see me there at 6 if not earlier. Dinner will be at 7.

DINNER INFORMATION. posted 1/4/12 1930

Widmer Brothers
947 N. Russell St.
Portland, OR 97227
www.widmerbrothers.com

The entrance to the banquet rooms is located up the sidewalk from the main entrance to the Gasthaus and has an address of 947 N. Russell.

Those who ride the MAX Yellow Line from downtown should get off at the Mississippi/Albina stop. www.trimet.org, Walk on the right side of the street in the direction of the train approximately 2 blocks, the restaurant is on the far corner of Russell and Interstate.

For local attendees there are two parking lots and free on street parking.

The menu we have chosen is illustrative of Northwest ingredients rather than pub food.

*Drifter Pale Ale beer bread
*Romaine w/candied walnuts, slice apples, Oregon blue cheese and balsamic vinaigrette
*White bean salad with crispy bacon and marinated shallots
*IPA (India Pale Ale-for the uninitiated) marinated ribeye steak with blueberry-balsamic reduction
*Seared salmon (from the Pacific) with caramelized onions and pears
*Penne pasta tossed with sauted mushrooms, spinach, Oregon blue cheese and toasted hazelnuts. (We produce more than any other place in North America)
*Tillamook white cheddar red potato gratin (Those who frequent Delta Sky Clubs sometimes see the yellow pale imitation of the real thing The yellow is aged less but never-the-less is real).
*Seasonal vegetables (Unfortunately it is the middle of the winter so I doubt that we will have fresh Oregon asparagus or green beans)
*Chocolate espresso mousse
*Freshly brewed coffee, decaffeinated coffee and freshly brewed iced tea.

Cost is $45 per person for dinner, gratuity, Paypal fees, a thank you gift, name tags and other incidentals.

The payment is non-refundable as we are in the full penalty period for the restaurant and they have my Starwood Amex. & a signed guarantee payable by me.

I will send each of you a PM or e-mail (thanks to all who actually are keeping up with the thread and sent their information so promptly) with payment instructions tomorrow (maybe tonight). Payment should be made through www.paypal.com. Paypal has recently been defaulting to drawing money from the registered bank account but it is a simple matter to switch to a credit card. Just be careful not to let them pull directly from the account. Payment can use the person to person option.

Full payment is due not later than January 14, 2012.

This event is limited to 65 paid attendees.

Should we reach that number, I will run a waiting list and non-paid attendees will be replaced by anyone on the list in date order. Should wait listed persons be added, I must have payment by Monday January 16.

Drinks other than those provided in the basic meal plan are an individual responsibility:. There will be wait staff circulating within the room who will take individual orders. All drinks are a personal responsibility and are not included in the cost of the event. The bill for them will include a mandatory 18% gratuity. In researching the various possibilities for dinner this is the second least expensive location in respect to drink costs.

Corkage fee is $10 per bottle for those such as BobW and my wife who want to bring their own. Remember that we have really great Pinots (and I am not bragging) some of which can be bought on the D concourse at the same price as in town.

The room is on the second floor of a historic building. As stated, it has a separate entrance on Russell. The stairs are steep and long, but I've been up twice and down once today. There is also an elevator accessible from the gift shop further up the street.

Very important visitor factoid: Oregon has no sales tax so bring lots of credit cards should you wish to spend the limited time Saturday afternoon shopping.

Should anyone be arriving Friday, we can put together a small gathering. If 50 of you are because of schedule changes, forget it.

PDX STATION TOUR

Sunday, Jan. 22 -- UA PDX Station w/Capt. Denny (0800) 63, the tour is closed to any additional participants.

Tour requests officially closed, wait list has been added to tour list.

The bad news is that the FAA has denied us permission for a tower tour. Here is the response that was received from FAA-PDX.

Capt Flanagan and all,

I am sorry to convey that we will not be able to support touring the Tower and TRACON with your group on the 22nd. We have only operational people on duty during non-administrative hours, and the logistics and security challenges of even a medium -sized group under those circumstances proved to be more than we could pull off.

For the pilots or aspiring controllers, or other aviation operational connection people, we offer the possibility of smaller groups during admin hours. Please let me know if any of your group wish to try to schedule an alternate time.

So sorry we couldn't help - I hope the event goes wonderfully!!

This is disappointing but the possibility exists in the future that we can schedule a weekday tour for a small group which is very positive. We will have to convince crew scheduling to allow a couple of months advance notice for the future Thursday night/ Friday CaptDenny PDX DOII. Perhaps a separate local tower tour can be scheduled for a weekday in the interim.

The good news is that Uniteds PDX Station has been working hard on a two hour tour from 0800-1000 while we were fretting. They will not need my coordination help even though I offered to work for free. I expect the annoyance factor was factored into that decision.

Things are under control. Employee volunteers will lead us around obviating the need for TSA or Port of Portland police preventing us from touching things. The Station recently did something similar and definitely is prepared for us.

We (subject to alteration, addition and deletion) will in small groups rotate to various areas both secure and insecure. Remember this is a working airport serving passengers.

1. Check-in (perhaps with the ability to send bags to LIM rather than LIN or change seating for 1Ks to E- middles.
2. The small operations and dispatch center. Be sure to note that PDX is not ORD but they talk to the airplanes and ramp.
3. The Gate Area, perhaps checking boarding passes and handing out Biscoffs
4. Operate a Jet way under close supervision with the chance to practice Dent the Airplane
5. Maintenance. No you will not be allowed to repair a plane or practice your dismantling skills
6. The ramp (perhaps enjoying driving a tug)
7. Observing push-back up close
8. Probably sitting in a pilots seat.
9. As a special treat, I expect that we will be welcomed into the RCC.

We probably will not be welcomed by the TSA into the new baggage handling system. I am not sure why because we did not ruin the one at IAH during Continental Do II. My contact stated that the chance of denial was 90% which translates into a 10% chance of approval.

I did request that we be allowed to see the big yellow truck up close and perhaps have the Port drive us around the periphery of the field to see the anti-wildlife measures, the fighter jets and perhaps one of the two 747s calling at PDX.

The planned tour will allow photography. We will not be entering a sensitive area such as baggage handling or Customs and Immigration,

I want to emphasize that we are a large group and can be disruptive to the flow of the operation. Please keep this in mind during our wanderings.

**UPDATED thru 1/17 1230.** Dinner manifest is complete and emailed to the restaurant

Saturday, Jan. 21 -- Dinner w/Capt. Denny (TBA) 63 including Denny. 6p.m kickoff, 7p.m. dinner. $ indicates one dinner registration paid, $$ indicates 2.

21A $
ak333 $
AndrewT84 $
B787938 $
Bob W $
cawhite $
Capt. Molly Flanagan +1 $$
channa +1 $$
CMK10 $
CollegeFlyer ]$
DanPoynter $
danville 1K +1 $$
danray +1 $$
dparkinson $
FortFun $
FriendlySkies $
fti +1 $$
gbrian84 $
General_Flyer $
goodeats21 $
grizshel $
ijkh & Mr. ijkh $$
J.Edward $
Iluv2fly $
kwildnj $
LarryU $
mhnadel $
mrcol $
mrx900 $
Opushomes & MarshaB $$
NDS88 $
noah $
pdx1M $
rggale $
rmbl + 1 $$
rob_flies_ua $
rudling +1 $$
RustinginSeatle $
Seacarl $
Shannon Kelly -United Director of Insights and Metrics $
SMF Rider $
squeakr +1 $$
steve64 $
Va1379 $
u2vox +1 $$
wsucougarchick05 +1 $$
Zenflyer $
Carlos Faxas coming with Shannon (monitors FT United Forum). $
Capt Tony Lee $
Capt Dave Dosch $

Sunday, Jan. 22 -- UA Station Tour @PDX w/Capt. Denny (time TBA) 63 as of close of registrations, last edited 1/15

Tour requests officially closed and no further requests can or will be accommodated.

United Station received this list alphabetized by last name and FF number on January 14, 2012. No screen names were included.

21A
ak333
AndrewT84
B787938
BobW
cawhite
channa +1
CMK10
czPDX
DanPoynter
danville 1K +1
dparkinson
FortFun
fti +1
General Flyer
GimmeLegRoom +1
goodeats21
grizshel
ijkh & Mr. ijkh
Iluv2fly
klashn
kwildnj
LarryU
mhnadel
mrcol
mrx900
NDS88
noah
Opushomes
pdx1M +1
PDX_Roy
ptpinit +1
rggale
rmbl + 1
rob_flies_ua
rudling +1
RustinginSeattle
seacarl
Shannon Kelly -United Director of Insights and Metrics
SMF Rider
squeakr +1
steve64
Travelomania +1
u2vox
Uptown_girl
va1379
wsucougarchick05 +1
Zenflyer

Flights Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FTXlVVmc#gid=0

JAN21 UA271 DCA DEN
*Capt. Denny*
CollegeFlyer
dparkinson
FriendlySkies
fti +1
kwildnj
mhnadel
rggale
steve64
Zenflyer

JAN21 UA369 DEN PDX
*Capt. Denny*
cawhite
channa
CollegeFlyer
dparkinson
DanPoynter
FortFun
FriendlySkies
fti +1
goodeats21
iluv2fly
kwildnj
mhnadel
rggale
rmbl + 1
steve64
Zenflyer

JAN22 UA632 PDX ORD
*Capt. Denny*
cawhite
dparkinson
fti +1
kwildnj
mhnadel
rggale
rmbl + 1
steve64
Zenflyer

Hotel Information

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FTXlVVmc#gid=0
Spreadsheet is reached through rightmost bottom tab.

Last edited by opushomes; Jan 22, 2012 at 7:02 am Reason: addl info, payment info.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 3:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member

Last edited by essxjay; Jan 2, 2012 at 4:13 pm Reason: please see OP
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:15 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Great to hear! Even though I am based in the Tri-Cities, WA I may have to stop by!

20 and Coutning,
JBDIABM
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Interesting handle..

Once the date is known, I'll do my best to attend. I enjoyed flying with Captain Denny on FT 2 in March, and would enjoy seeing him again ^
Old Dec 11, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Outstanding. Hopefully this is after January 6th when I return to PDX (but likely will happen sooner..)
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
What a huge opportunity!

I want to say thanks in advance for simply considering PDX. The UA staff there is fantastic and the airport is the best in the country. I will do everything in my power to be there.

419er
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:30 am
Community Director Emerita

We'll know more once he bids for his flights. He will try first for January, with a Friday night dinner for FTers and Saturday UA events. If that doesn't work, then he will try again for February.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Capt. Dennz

I am interested even though I am lozal to one of those other, aaah, airlines.
dedehans (european pc....whz dont thez learn?
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We'll know more once he bids for his flights. He will try first for January, with a Friday night dinner for FTers and Saturday UA events. If that doesn't work, then he will try again for February.
I'm local to PDX - and although I'm gone about 40% of the time, I would be glad to help out if there is some way I can.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Sounds like a hoot
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hertz #1 Gold
It would be great to meet Capt. Denny, hope I can make the dates
Old Dec 11, 2011, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by 419er
I want to say thanks in advance for simply considering PDX. The UA staff there is fantastic and the airport is the best in the country. I will do everything in my power to be there.

419er
+100

The PDX staff should be used as an example for training CS at the problem stations.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Thanks, Carol ^
Old Dec 11, 2011, 6:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by dedehans
I am interested even though I am lozal to one of those other, aaah, airlines.
dedehans (european pc....whz dont thez learn?
This is a non-denominational event as Capt. Denny indicated that all FTers are welcome. ^
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Sounds great! I'd definitely consider flying in for that!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Oooh. Color me interested for sure!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.