Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyerBeek
next meet-up:

Print Wikipost

The DC Area Happy Hour Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I see some early and some late trips out to Reston but no designated watering hole. If folks decide to actually meet up, please post (or if you meet up by chance once there)

Cheers
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
I'll have things to say about the Silver Line, probably in my blog.

But to keep to the point of this thread, I see DC Restaurant Week is coming up on August 11-17. Right now, it looks like I could do any weeknight that week. Anybody interested in trying out a place or two?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Did anyone take the Silver line this weekend? sorry, not going to go to a blog to read it

I was driving thru Tyson's around 2 p.m. and saw it traveling and had that urge to try it but couldn't.

what were your thoughts?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mhnadel
...I see DC Restaurant Week is coming up on August 11-17. Right now, it looks like I could do any weeknight that week. Anybody interested in trying out a place or two?
We are good for the 13th Wednesday and likely also for the 12th. The Wednesday is better but we could really do either or both.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i think i will be avoiding tysons 1 now. a bunch of parking is closed off at the moment too.
i did visit the plaza on saturday, fairly nice, calendar seems to compete with mosaic merrifield
cant help but wonder what hotel guests and apartment residents will think of any noise

speaking of tysons >
anyone visited jose andres america eats tavern at ritz carlton tysons yet?
(his 2nd restaurant with ritz carlton and he has restaurant(s) at a marriott autograph as well)

speaking of NoVa malls >
im amazed at how much fair oaks mall continues to 'upscale' itself in some ways

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 28, 2014 at 1:59 pm
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
well it was Day One for my Silver Line commute (Tysons --> Clarendon ~0715, Clarendon --> Reston ~1730) ... no issues

I can probably arrange my work location (Clarendon & Reston) to support either Tues 12 or Wed 13
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Did anyone take the Silver line this weekend? sorry, not going to go to a blog to read it

I was driving thru Tyson's around 2 p.m. and saw it traveling and had that urge to try it but couldn't.

what were your thoughts?
I made the run out to Reston and back and liked it a bunch. I don't go out to Tysons all that often, but for a lot of those trips--certainly any in November or December--it should ease the trip. It may not do that much to speed going to IAD, but on the way back I think having much more frequent bus service will help a lot.

Also, it's just nice seeing the dang thing finally open after so many years of waiting to see if we could ever line up funding for it, followed by a long construction process.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: QF, VA
Hi Washingtonians, I'm visiting DC from Australia over the Labor Day weekend. Though it's still some weeks away, I was wondering if there were any locals that might be available to meet up for drinks/dinner?

While I'm new to FT, I'm a member of the Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) forum, and am hoping to catch up with FT'ers in other cities I'm visiting (Chicago, Boston, NYC) as well, so I've been in contact with members in those localities.

I'm really relying on some locals to be able to help organise something if that's possible, seeing I don't really know where/when's a good time to meet up.

I'm staying at the Sofitel Lafayette, and will be relying on public transport (metro, buses, cabs, uber) to get around.

Cheers, kevrosmith

(Check out the thread for the Chicago Do as there's some more info/background including a link to my trip report to provide a bit more explanation of my trip.)
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
what were your thoughts?
I did go out on the 1st silver train from courthouse. The views as the train approaches the McLean station are very impressive. I also like the aviation look of the new stations as well. Lots of bus connections at the Reston station if one has a need to go places other than Reston. What I really like is the fact that one can go the the Air & Space museum at Dulles airport with just a simple bus connection (every 20 or 30 minutes during opening hours). For a family it still makes sense to drive, but for solo visitors, a much need improvement. Lastly, no new cars on the line at the moment. And, it is a looong way to Reston. I thought going out to Franconia was a long trip. Add another 10 minutes.

As for resturant week, any one interested in a lunch instead of dinner, even a weekend lunch? I am very flexible.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by headinclouds
...As for resturant week, any one interested in a lunch instead of dinner, even a weekend lunch? I am very flexible.
Lunch is difficult for me since I try to compress the work into as few days as possible and usually do not go any further than around the corner to the Vietnamese Deli on Graham Road for something to bring back to the office.

But we are ready for anything, anywhere, after work on the 12th and/or 13th.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I did go out on the 1st silver train from courthouse. The views as the train approaches the McLean station are very impressive. I also like the aviation look of the new stations as well. Lots of bus connections at the Reston station if one has a need to go places other than Reston. What I really like is the fact that one can go the the Air & Space museum at Dulles airport with just a simple bus connection (every 20 or 30 minutes during opening hours). For a family it still makes sense to drive, but for solo visitors, a much need improvement. Lastly, no new cars on the line at the moment. And, it is a looong way to Reston. I thought going out to Franconia was a long trip. Add another 10 minutes.

As for resturant week, any one interested in a lunch instead of dinner, even a weekend lunch? I am very flexible.
The Washington Flyer Bus now runs between Wiehle-Reston and IAD. While it is cheaper ($5 versus $10 one way), the overall trip has to be longer. The West Falls Church bus took 25 minutes. I am guessing the trip will take more time with all the stops.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by cova
The Washington Flyer Bus now runs between Wiehle-Reston and IAD. While it is cheaper ($5 versus $10 one way), the overall trip has to be longer. The West Falls Church bus took 25 minutes. I am guessing the trip will take more time with all the stops.
Actually, the Washington Flyer is non-stop to IAD. The Farifax Connector bus routes 981/983 also go to the airport via Reston town center and a couple of other stops. Regular fares of $1.75 as far as I can tell.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Actually, the Washington Flyer is non-stop to IAD. The Farifax Connector bus routes 981/983 also go to the airport via Reston town center and a couple of other stops. Regular fares of $1.75 as far as I can tell.
He means all the stops on the Silver Line.

It took 20 minutes to WFC before; it now takes more than twice that (15 minutes to Reston, 25 on the Silver Line, 5 minutes from WFC to WFC, plus an optimistic waiting time).

If you are going into the city, the 5A is probably a better option. Those of us who live west of EFC are screwed and have no options.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Re: Restaurant Week --

I fly back from Italy on the 12th and will likely be slammed on the 13th (jet lagged, too), so I'm afraid neither of those days will work for me. Maybe January will be better.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
He means all the stops on the Silver Line.

It took 20 minutes to WFC before; it now takes more than twice that (15 minutes to Reston, 25 on the Silver Line, 5 minutes from WFC to WFC, plus an optimistic waiting time).

If you are going into the city, the 5A is probably a better option.
imho the 5A has always been a better option than the Washington Flyer, even though I have had to stand all the way to/from Rosslyn on several occasions ... glad I will be departing the fix here in DC by this time next year

Those of us who live west of EFC (especially along the Orange Line) are screwed and have no options.
minor point

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.