Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

"Oz Fest #9" – Canberra Australia - Memorial Day Weekend, May 25-27, 2012

"Oz Fest #9" – Canberra Australia - Memorial Day Weekend, May 25-27, 2012

Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:50 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by Hvr
Strewth I live here so I had better nominate as Platinum. Only problem being no FF points or hotel points.

Now if you live here in CBR or nearby you may also be interested in AFF Gathering #5 from Oct 7-9 2011. It could be a little taster of things to come.

At the very least you can advertise what a great time you had and spread the word about our little capital city.
Originally Posted by SQ421
Another Canberran here.

Happy to nominate as Platinum.

Also, more than willing to help out with organising stuff on the ground, in cases where local presence may be required to talk to service providers/hotels/whoever.

Great to have a couple of locals in the mix. We will call upon your talents later.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Is anyone here interested in participating in a weekend meet during Floriade?

Mid-Sept to mid-Oct. Bearing in mind school holidays would be during this time.

I'll send an update should we find something interesting, although I suppose the hotel rates are going to be sky high at the CP anyway for this period.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:12 pm

Programs: QF LTSG; Accor, Starwood, IHG
Originally Posted by QF WP
It would be remiss of me not to nominate as Platinum, along with Mrs QF WP and mini #1 and 2. After missing DRW, we have organised holidays for much later in the year.

Hmmm, may only fly in Fri PM, otherwise mini#1 will just have to miss a day at Prep and mini#2 a day at Daycare.

Time to tell Mrs QF WP that she's going.

Where is Craigo?
I'm here, under a new name. Wasn't aware that it was on but I'll be there.

For those with a sporting bent, there's a big rugby game on in Canberra on the Saturday night that weekend. The Super Rugby tournament has teams from New Zealand, Australia and South Africa and the Canberra team, the Brumbies, will be playing the reigning champions, the Queensland Reds, at Canberra Stadium. I'm happy to organise tickets to the game if anyone's interested in coming along.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Hvr
Now if you live here in CBR or nearby you may also be interested in AFF Gathering #5 from Oct 7-9 2011. It could be a little taster of things to come.
Originally Posted by BiziBB

Mid-Sept to mid-Oct. Bearing in mind school holidays would be during this time. Floriade in case you hadn't hear of it thought I would include a link. http://www.floriadeaustralia.com/vis...FWdLpgodcUT71w

A few of us are going to be in Canberra for AFF 5 7 - October 2011. Hvr mentioned it already but I thought it worth mentioning again.

Originally Posted by rugbyskier
I'm here, under a new name. Wasn't aware that it was on but I'll be there.

For those with a sporting bent, there's a big rugby game on in Canberra on the Saturday night that weekend. The Super Rugby tournament has teams from New Zealand, Australia and South Africa and the Canberra team, the Brumbies, will be playing the reigning champions, the Queensland Reds, at Canberra Stadium. I'm happy to organise tickets to the game if anyone's interested in coming along.
Craig will be good to see you again, if I get there of course. Organising a bunch of FTers to attend a football game in the middle of Ozfest can be very tough.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Itsalongwaydown
Great to have a couple of locals in the mix. We will call upon your talents later.
I've already contacted the OP and offered help.

Originally Posted by BiziBB
If you are in town on a Sunday, I'd love to catch up over a few beers or a pub feed. Saturdays between October and March are consumed by club cricket.

Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
A few of us are going to be in Canberra for AFF 5 7 - October 2011. Hvr mentioned it already but I thought it worth mentioning again.
While I'm barely active on AFF, I'd love to catch up with the AFFers whilst in town one of those three days
Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
For those with a sporting bent, there's a big rugby game on in Canberra on the Saturday night that weekend.
That sounds like a good reason to try and organise a main hotel soon!

I've always stayed in that hotel that's currently the Crowne Plaza. (It's been through a few different names over the years.) I have no idea if it is still the best choice, however!

Audrey
Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by falconea

I've always stayed in that hotel that's currently the Crowne Plaza. (It's been through a few different names over the years.) I have no idea if it is still the best choice, however!

Audrey
Good point. All the visiting Super Rugby teams stay at the Crowne Plaza - I'm a member of the health club operating in the hotel and I've seen a number of All Blacks and Springboks players at the gym.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bundy Bear

Craig will be good to see you again, if I get there of course. Organising a bunch of FTers to attend a football game in the middle of Ozfest can be very tough.
Unfortunately I'll be away for the AFF meeting. I'll be heading over to Wellington to see the Rugby World Cup quarter-finals that weekend.

Will be good to catch up again BB. I'm still working weekends instructing at Thredbo.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by SQ421
I've already contacted the OP and offered help.

While I'm barely active on AFF, I'd love to catch up with the AFFers whilst in town one of those three days
I'm in CBR periodically so will try and give you a yell sometime.

Check the dates on your sign off as they are out by two days.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
I'm in CBR periodically so will try and give you a yell sometime.
Sure thing. Just drop me an email.

Check the dates on your sign off as they are out by two days.
Fixed
Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Hmmm CP rate on Friday night (25th) currently start at AUD270 for AAA/AP.

Saturday is AUD207 and Sunday a more typical AUD180.

I've booked ICH PC rewards for the Friday and the Saturday night.

(F&F rates start from AUD230 Fri, AUD176 Sat & AQUD153 Sun)

Last edited by serfty; Sep 6, 2011 at 9:07 pm
Old Sep 7, 2011, 4:32 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold

For those with a sporting bent, there's a big rugby game on in Canberra on the Saturday night that weekend.... Brumbies, will be playing the reigning champions, the Queensland Reds, at Canberra Stadium.
Originally Posted by falconea

Audrey
Originally Posted by serfty

In light of the above information, I have followed serfty's lead and also booked a (refundable) PC rewards stay at the CP for the Fri and Sat night of Ozfest^

I would urge Ozfest 9 attendees to lock in a (refundable) rate ASAP in case accommodation in Canberra dries up that weekend, and prices head north rapidly!@:-)
Old Sep 7, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
Originally Posted by kpc
I would urge Ozfest 9 attendees to lock in a (refundable) rate ASAP in case accommodation in Canberra dries up that weekend, and prices head north rapidly!@:-)
Done!

Audrey
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by serfty

We've just reserved as well. Thanks Ross! ^
Old Sep 7, 2011, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Since so many IHG points were showered upon some of us last year in the "Crack the Case" promo, it was easy for me to reserve a Friday-Monday reward stay. Thanks to kpc and serfty for the heads ups.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.