Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

"Oz Fest #9" – Canberra Australia - Memorial Day Weekend, May 25-27, 2012

"Oz Fest #9" – Canberra Australia - Memorial Day Weekend, May 25-27, 2012

Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: AA: Exec. Plat, 4MM+, UA: 1K, 3MM+, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt: Globalist, Hilton: Diamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Fredd and Mrs. Fredd told me about the Oz Festival during out dinner in HNL last night. Looks like a great DO, so please put me as Gold for now. I'll be researching prices when I return to Kansas.

Looks like most people are at Crown Plaza. Is anybody staying at the Hyatt?
You'll love Oz-fest. I have attended the last five, and it is now a
"must" on the annual do-schedule.

As a Hyatt devotee, I will be at the Hyatt as well.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by upup&away
You'll love Oz-fest. I have attended the last five, and it is now a
"must" on the annual do-schedule.

As a Hyatt devotee, I will be at the Hyatt as well.
Thanks for the response ^ I just emailed the OP to say that I am now confirmed for my first OZ Fest. Looking forward to next May!

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Sep 25, 2011 at 10:02 pm
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Thanks for the response ^ I just emailed the OP to say that I am now confirmed for my first OZ Fest. Looking forward to next May!
FriendlySkies - May I also welcome you. I have attended the last 7 and enjoyed them all. Looking forward to seeing you.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:56 am

I hope I will enjoy! Will be studying at ANU thus staying at UniLodge.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
FriendlySkies - May I also welcome you. I have attended the last 7 and enjoyed them all. Looking forward to seeing you.
Thank you! I missed Oz Fest 7, as I was doing an eight hour turn around in SYD that weekend

As far as getting from SYD to Canberra, are most people flying Qantas or driving down there?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Virgin Australia is also a viable option to travel between MEL/SYD/BNE/ADL & CBR.

Last edited by serfty; Sep 26, 2011 at 5:31 pm
Old Sep 28, 2011, 5:47 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Crowne Plaza Friday and Saturday night....fly back to SYD Sunday afternoon to spend a few days there....so much more to see and want to go back to the Opera House for another couple of concerts...

Currently staying in the IC in SYD. No C and P.....don't have too many left and using them up elsewhere...
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:03 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by serfty
Virgin Australia is also a viable option to travel between MEL/SYD/BNE/ADL & CBR.
In fact Virgin Australia are such a viable option that many have swapped away from Qantas to them.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:05 am
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by Itsalongwaydown
In fact Virgin Australia are such a viable option that many have swapped away from Qantas to them.
I'll be trialing out my VA/DJ Platinum on an actual flight for the first time - in just over a week.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:06 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Also just a reminder to people that Canberra to Sydney by road is quite a viable option. It is around 300 km (180 miles) and quite a good drive and a speed limit of 110 kmph.

Just another option.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:22 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Count me in as Platinum.

I'm also happy to help with organising bits and pieces as the situation may require. Just shoot me a message.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by *A Flyer
Count me in as Platinum.

I'm also happy to help with organising bits and pieces as the situation may require. Just shoot me a message.
We will.

I promise.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Itsalongwaydown
I haven't swapped anything for DJ - my NZ Gold Elite status does it for me. (Although I took the status match.)

*G and Emerald - more than DJ can offer currently.

Tip, those who have used Priority Pass to access Virgin Australia (nee Blue) lounges in the past can no longer do so.

Currently Virgin Australia have a status match programme going - it finishes in a little over 48 hours as I post. If you have status in another airline program you may be able to do a status match.
Virgin Australia Gold and Platinum status provide any-time lounge access to their lounges (SYD, MEL, ADL, PER, CBR).

It also provides operating carrier lounge access before NZ, SQ, EY and DL flights.

Wait, there's more.

Also there is Complimentary Elite membership, Europcar Privilege Program or Hertz #1 Club and IHG Priority Club® Rewards or Hilton HHonors™.

Last edited by serfty; Sep 28, 2011 at 7:29 am
Old Sep 28, 2011, 1:46 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kpc
I would urge Ozfest 9 attendees to lock in a (refundable) rate ASAP in case accommodation in Canberra dries up that weekend, and prices head north rapidly!@:-)
I just booked the CP for an average of 201AUD per night. I am going to come in on Thursday and leave on Tuesday morning. Apparently the CP has a "Long Stay Rate" if you are there 5 nights or more. The only catch is that it does require a non-refundable deposit of one night but I will risk it rather than paying an average of 3xxAUD per night on the open market. This rate breaks down to 225AUD Thursday and Monday nights and 185AUD for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. And the rate includes breakfast for 2 persons
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
Currently Virgin Australia have a status match programme going - it finishes in a little over 48 hours as I post. If you have status in another airline program you may be able to do a status match.
Virgin Australia Gold and Platinum status provide any-time lounge access to their lounges (SYD, MEL, ADL, PER, CBR).

It also provides operating carrier lounge access before NZ, SQ, EY and DL flights.

Wait, there's more.

Also there is Complimentary Elite membership, Europcar Privilege Program or Hertz #1 Club and IHG Priority Club® Rewards or Hilton HHonors™.
Important note: you must be a resident of Australia or New Zealand. Or, "live" with such a person (who might be a member of FT)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.