Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

There's No Place Like Nome DO: Ode to the Alaskan Midnight Sun (June 21-24, 2012)

View Poll Results: How many FlyerTalkers does it take to change a flat tire?
BOB W
3.85%
7.69%
20+
30.77%
What's a tire?
11.54%
What's a car?
19.23%
Call your Amex concierge
38.46%
Skykit!!!
7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

There's No Place Like Nome DO: Ode to the Alaskan Midnight Sun (June 21-24, 2012)

Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:17 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by jackal
Well, at 3x50lbs each of baggage allowance, depending on how large our group is, we might be able to take an entire hydrologic mining operation with us piecemeal.
We have to work?? I thought this was the eating and drinking group.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by lili
It's not work...it's GOLD!!!!!
Old Sep 5, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I just visited Nome yesterday. Honestly the surrounding scenery is stunning and I really enjoyed Nome. I'm going to try to go back up for the Iditarod this year. I'll post a link to some photos here once I get them up. I'd be happy to offer some suggestions I received from a friend who is a Nome local prior to my trip.

Also, regarding cell service. Both Verizon and ATT have 1X data coverage downtown. Out in the tundra don't expect anything. In fact locals spending time out in the tundra ask passers by on the road to convey messages to people in town.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 5:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
It's some kind of metal - doesn't become GOLD until I can wear it.
uva185, are there jewelers in Nome, and do they work on the weekend?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by lili
Given the price of food and booze in rural Alaska, any gold we find will just go towards offsetting the cost of keeping our stomachs full. Even if we strike the mother lode, we may still come out in the red...
Old Sep 6, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, recovering former United 1k
Please put two people down as a maybe. I work for the "gold company" in town and am frequently in town. I could be compelled to give a quickie historical tour (at least from the gold side) of Nome.

Big word of warning though, summer is birder season and between them, the construction workers of the new hospital, and the softball tournament the Aurora Inn will be sold out well in advance. Make your reservations now! An alternative is the Nugget, which some romantic types may characterize as "rustic", I am not as complimentary but it is directly downtown, clean, and often has rooms when the Aurora is full. With the exception of a couple of B&B's in town, accommodations drop of precipitously after that.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
Please add me to the "Interested" list. I'm VERY LIKELY to attend.

I've always wanted to see the Midnight Baseball, but each year June surprised me by coming so soon after May. This year I'll plan ahead.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by bdnyc
Please add me to the "Interested" list. I'm VERY LIKELY to attend.

I've always wanted to see the Midnight Baseball, but each year June surprised me by coming so soon after May. This year I'll plan ahead.
Unless you a middle Eastern despot that re-names the months after your many wives or pets, it usually falls that way.....

Glad to see you will be joining us.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Looks like an awesome DO! Please put me as interested. I'll know my schedule in the next couple of months. ^
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Great news!

I was able to negotiate a group fare for the trip to Nome.

As of now, the lowest discount fare on FAI-ANC-OME-ANC is $557.00 (plus tax). The Alaska Airlines group desk was able to get us a group fare of $481.95 (plus tax).

I'll post full details later once I receive the contract from AS, but basically, I'll need to provide the final list of names to AS and make payment to them no later than February. It'll be a prepaid thing, so I'll need to collect payment in advance from those interested in taking advantage of this deal. There is a cap of 47 people on this group rate, but I don't think that'll be an issue for us. Of course, if demand for our event explodes any more than what's been indicated so far, we may have to scrap the group discount and just charter a plane.

Also, I was able to set up a "meeting" discount through AS. Anyone flying up to Anchorage for our event between June 16 and June 30 can get 5% off with a discount code. I'll post the details on that once I receive the final documentation from AS.

I'll post details both here and back in the opening posts of this thread when I have the details.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
belle3388 + (same) 1 please
Old Sep 10, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Is this correct, there is no F service ANC-OME ??
Looking at AS website, I only see combi's and coach.
Doable, but not by choice !
Old Sep 10, 2011, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Is this correct, there is no F service ANC-OME ??
Looking at AS website, I only see combi's and coach.
Doable, but not by choice !
Welcome to rural Alaska.

sbm12 put it nicely to me this afternoon: "Alaska's Combis show the airline's priorities. You may have paid $800 for your seat, but the cargo paid more. It's up front, riding in First Class."

My ticket is already booked. I'm sitting up in Row 16. With unlimited legroom, it might very well be better than F.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by jackal
Welcome to rural Alaska.

sbm12 put it nicely to me this afternoon: "Alaska's Combis show the airline's priorities. You may have paid $800 for your seat, but the cargo paid more. It's up front, riding in First Class."

My ticket is already booked. I'm sitting up in Row 16. With unlimited legroom, it might very well be better than F.
OK, that works @:-).
Oh... maybe not... that row is reserved for elites...

I too will wan't to use points in ANC.
Looks like no SPG C+P, but 7K points will have to do.
So Jun 21-22 and 24-25 booked at Sheraton.

... the OME Aurora looks like $150++,
are the other dubious choices much cheaper ?
TripAdvisor makes them sound "interesting".
Can't seem to bring up rates online, no surprise !!:-:

Last edited by MrHalliday; Sep 10, 2011 at 8:25 pm
Old Sep 10, 2011, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK, that works @:-).
Oh... maybe not... that row is reserved for elites...
And you're going to have to compete with at least four ANC-based elites for one of those six seats.

I too will wan't to use points in ANC.
Looks like no SPG C+P, but 7K points will have to do.
So Jun 21-22 and 24-25 booked at Sheraton.
Excellent. That's why I chose to maximize the number of overnights in ANC. IIRC, there's no SPG properties in FAI, so that will be a bit more of a challenge, but we only have one night there. (My original itinerary had two nights in FAI.)

Oh, nevermind--you're not joining us for the FAI portion. But my comment still stands for others.

... the OME Aurora looks like $150++,
are the other dubious choices much cheaper ?
TripAdvisor makes them sound "interesting".
Can't seem to bring up rates online, no surprise !!:-:
The word is that the Aurora is the superior of the options in OME. Those who stay at the Nugget seem to regret it. I would be surprised if they're significantly cheaper than the Aurora; not only is this rural Alaska, this is Alaska in the summertime. Availability is scarce--and they know it.

I called the Aurora to ask about a [discounted] room block (and rental vans) on Thursday, and the front desk agent told me that group deals are typically handled by the assistant manager and the best way to deal with that was by email. I dispatched an email Thursday night but have not yet heard back. I will update as soon as I can.

This would be a good destination to consider buddying up with a friendly-sounding FTer and splitting a room.

Last edited by jackal; Sep 10, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.