Reload this Page >

What was your best moment on FlyerTalk?

Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold

with randy leaving, many huge DOs we had this year and many thank-you and anniversary threads all over the place, I was wondering, what was your most special moment on flyertalk - or the best single "event" you had. please limit to three "events".

I had the pleasure to share many great moments with this wonderful community:

fireworks at Mega DO in London come to my mind ... and the dinner we had at that castle near Toulouse ... and the "Crocodile" dinner at the 1st Strasbourg DO ...
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
My favorite was coming back from a 45-0 deficit with a strong second-half comeback and sneaking in before the other team on the last question in the Quiz Bowl finals at Continental DO IV to win 250,000 OnePass miles.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by chrissxb
and the dinner we had at that castle near Toulouse ...
A shared fond memory, one that's on my list too.

A recent pastrami lunch at a landmark deli in NYC with two local FTers I very much enjoyed...a tasting menu and a varied wine selection with a few Porteos and expats on a trip to EZE in '09...and that wonderful weekend in TLS with OP and a cast of characters. I've gotten far more out of FT over the years than I could ever give back but it won't stop me from trying.

Thanks for the warm memories on a snowy Canadian evening. ^
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
On BRT 8, I had to hire a 50 passenger bus for the tour (see signature below). Early tours were in 7 passenger vans. Eventually, I moved up to a 25 passenger airport shuttle type of vehicle. On BRT 8, when that 50 passenger bus came down the street, I was overcome with pride. It was a dream come true (after many years of joking about this).

I was a participant in the very first Secret Santa back in 2000 or 2001. dgolds organized it back then. When my gift came, I opened it to find a United SWU. I was flabbergasted. Thanks violist.

Speaking of the Brooklyn Reality Tour, every year there is a moment on the tour that's memorable. On BRT 7, we stopped in front of my old house. A few troublemakers rushed off the bus and knocked on the door. Eventually someone came to the door. It was a teenager and her little sister. I explained that I knew where all the rooms were, and that the little girl probably slept in my old room in the rear of the house. While they didn't let me in, I got a chance to peek inside for the first time in 15 years. Gave me the goosebumps. Thanks cawhite.

One last thing, tcook052, that sandwich was delicious.

I could probably write 10 additional moments over the past 10 years.
I'm sure more moments will come in the years to come.

dh
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
The flyby we did at Toulouse on *A MegaDo I would rate rather highly on my personal list.

But I guess my best single moment on FT was when, after a period of lurking, I screwed up enough courage to make my first post. A few years and many miles later, here I am! Thanks FT! ^
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:56 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Being totally blown out of the water...shocked...amazed..when I received an e-mail from Randy asking me to be a Delta Moderator...What a moment! WOW!! I saved the e-mail. Best of all is the friendship I have developed with Randy, his wonderful wife and my colleagues. How about that pizza at Pizzeria Mozza, Chris and the Getty? What a wonderful day! Would not have been possible without our FT connection.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:26 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Favorite DOs

1. ATL Delta DO October 20-24, 2010. Comments already made. A hard one to top....

2. My first ever FT DO....Venice October 2004....met the main cast of characters/posters on Delta Skymiles forum....including O2K who organized this DO and found a divine small hotel called Ai Mori D'Oriente where most of us stayed.....

3. Toulouse with Chrissxb...the castle, the airbus...
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I've struggled to get only 3, and 2 are unashamedly of my own Dos (afterall, if my own dos aren't memorable, then something is going wrong).

- sharing my birthday at the Rheims Tour de France do, and the fuss they made of me (and vast quantities of marzipan that even I, almond fiend, couldn't finish). It was a fabulous Do anyway, and that was the icing on the cake!
- the firework display from the boat at the London Mega Do - that was a moment of do perfection, where so many things coincided to provide us with an OCCASION -and one that even the do organisers could stand back and just enjoy
- the Island Dos - taking people from all over the world to random remote Scottish islands to experience a way of life that is somewhat uncommon and unusual. From the party on the beach in the first one to the cruise on the last one... all good stuff.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
mommafrica getting engaged at the Chicago Seminar DO in front of hundreds of people.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
mommafrica getting engaged at the Chicago Seminar DO in front of hundreds of people.
Thank You Very Much toomanybooks and I trully second that! My other would have to be the Ann Arbor DO b/c for me that is where it all started & that's where I began to meet such wonderful people which gave me the last minute inspiration to present my engagement w/ FTers present.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Hands down: the PIP, fall, 1999

Also, a modest DO in Long Beach where many of us learned to use Priceline for the first time (2000???).

Wengen with Rudi (a private DO!)

These are in chronological order!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:16 pm

I am new here, so for me the biggest thing so far was just to find this forum!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
In 2003 I started college at Arizona State University. I came home to New York in December for a month off during the holidays. A small dinner of FTers was held in New York City that December and I decided to attend. I was worried how I'd fit in as I was only 18 and was worried I'd make a fool of myself or be made to feel unwelcome. Instead, I enjoyed great conversation with some very nice people.

At the end of the dinner, one FTer announced "since CMK10 is a college student, we've all decided to subsidize his meal". It was a really nice touch. Made me very proud to be a FT member.

Here's the thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...-29-01jan.html
Old Dec 1, 2010, 3:06 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
My best moment on FT so far was posting my first TR and breaking 100 posts.

Delta747
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I am very active posting on aviation-related forums and I remember wrhere I meets many FTs members over the world. I remember when you guys came in PHX to invite a nice Luncheon at Mexican restaurant on Scottsdale Rd/2nd St. It was quite enjoyable to meeting you in person. I remember that I met many people who came to PHX. I met Canarsie, RSSrsvp, Spiff, chrissxb, BoyAreMyArmsTired, jan_az, Randy Petersen, lucky9876coins, Username, and lots of those people who have a invitations at Lunch time. It was greatly appreciated it for my contributions on aviation-related forums for a long time. I am very hard work to speaking a good English skills and now, it is improvement to posts on FTs. Also, as you know that I am valuables post on the forums and I am acknowledgeable for which the specific routes and aircraft, too. I am still be more respectable to others and I didn't have any commons problems at all. I am so emotional for my entire life in Arizona for 7 years and we will lived in Arizona forever.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.