An open letter to the members of FlyerTalk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An open letter to the members of FlyerTalk

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Randy, thank you for creating Flyer Talk. You've changed way people fly.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Thanks, Randy, for everything you've done...especially enjoyed the Randy Class experience on SMD2.

Also, as I sat next to you on the 787 Dreamliner and said, remember this moment because one day we will be on an actual 787 Dreamliner flight and we can look back and remember our first experience on the aircraft. It was an honor to "sit with you" for that! Thanks! Powers106
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Many of us found FlyerTalk from Google searches and have learned a lot since joining in with all the fun activities. I am flying more and maximizing my benefits.

Best to Randy - and hopefully we will still see you as an event attendee - rather than an organizer. So enjoy with the rest of us.

Now - let the speculation begin (with a new thread) - on the direction Internet Brands will take Flyertalk. With there be a direct replacement or a committee. There are clearly lots of qualified FT'ers.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Thank you, Randy for guiding and nurturing Flyertalk into the positive influence it is. Thank you for enriching my life and countless others. Overall it is a community that encourages learning and sharing.

We are an international community. There is probably no way to measure your impact on the world as Flyertalk has allowed many to travel well and more. I'm sure many have been able to make just another trip or improve one already planned due to the Flyertalk community.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
As a relatively new member, all I can say is thank you. This site re-ignited my traveling habits and in style Thank you for your time and information.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: DM-(DL)/CO/AA/US/ RW (Road Warrior)
To Sir King Randy, ^

You will be missed. I hope you and your wife the best in your future adventures. Whever it takes you. I know it is tough to leave, when things change in anyone’s life. It has been a great pleasure to meet you person at many events with other FlyerTalkers. Thank you for everything you have done for us on FlyerTalk.

I can’t believe you are leaving FlyerTalk. I hope you will find the time to still hang around on and off and chat with us on FT as a fan. It is not time for you to walk towards the sunset. It is time to relax and enjoy the party.

As for the people at Internet Brands, I hope they are able to come out behind the keyboard, severs, and screens and show their faces at some FT events in the future. I think it is more fun and interesting to meet the people who will keep the site going.

Again, Randy... Thank you very much for everything you have done with your team creating this site. ^

BondAir007
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
There isn't much I can say, apart from 'Thank you'.

I've learnt a great deal and met lots of great people through FT.

I hope you plan your rein over and you'll still drop by occasionally...?

Thank you again.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:56 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Another devaluation!

Here on FT, we always whine about programs that devalue their points with inadequate notice. Now our beloved Randy does the same thing to FlyerTalk itself!

Seriously, FlyerTalk would not have been what it is today without you, Randy. We can only hope that it retains its personality without you here. I'm also holding out hope that somehow, some way, you will be back before too long. FT will be worth more with you running it, so there ought to be a way to make that happen.

You have created something very, very special. You have every right to proud of it. We in turn will have every right to miss you tremendously.

Last edited by nsx; Nov 11, 2010 at 11:41 am
Old Nov 7, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Before finding Flyertalk, I used to get barfy just looking at a plane. No joke. Now, I can fall asleep sitting in an upright position easier than at home horizontally... but getting easier with all the lie-flats I've been doing. No joke.

Thank you, Randy. I sincerely hope saying goodbye to your official duties here doesn't mean goodbye in other capacities.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Randy,

Thank you for all you have done with FlyerTalk.

I had the pleasure of briefly meeting you and talking to you at the Sheraton in Seattle the other night and I want to let you and everyone else know that I truly thank you for everything you have done and your generosity is beyond believable. I wish you luck.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Wow! First CO and now you!

I have not been participating all that long but please know I've found FT to be absolutely fascinating......^

Thank you for everything from a person who flew commercially for the first time at age 8 way back in 1963 from LAX to SFO on a PSA L-188 "Electra"......

Cheers and Best Wishes!
Old Nov 7, 2010, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Randy,

I just don't know what to say. I guess a huge THANK YOU is for starters. Before discovering FlyerTalk last November, I had only been to Canada, was not really interested in collecting miles, and usually would choose whichever airline was the most direct. Of course, after finding FlyerTalk, that all changed. I started to learn some many tricks, and at some points, felt like I could work for the UA after everything I had learned here. I went from a Premier Associate on UA in 2009, to a UA 1K in September of 2010. After a few weeks of reading FT, I felt like part of the family. I had learned the lingo, knew how to find decent mileage runs, and knew pretty much everything I would need to fly the Friendly Skies!

The only part of FlyerTalk that I was still a bit nervous about was actually meeting members. In May, I had the pleasure of meeting SanDiego1K and her husband at the ORD RCC. From that moment, I knew that FT was full of wonderful people. Fast forward to September, I flew on a sfo-tpa mileage run with nine FTers! This is something I would have never thought about doing. FT is full of wonderful people, and we've all learned from each other.

Of course, you deserve my biggest thanks. Without you, I would have never met any of the numerous FTers I've seen on mileage runs, @ the RCC, or just walking around the airport. You have created something that can not be described with just one word.

I wish you the best of luck after you leave FT. We'll definitely miss having you around, but I do hope that you'll stop by every so often!

Thanks for everything!

^

Cheers,

Daniel

p.s., looks like I'll have to come meet you next time I am back in Denver!
Old Nov 7, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Hi Randy -
When I shook your hand and said "Goodbye" at the end of the SMD2's final event at the Sheraton Seattle, I didn't realize that it might actually mean that with a finality.
Thank you for creating a site that's been such a resource for me and for all of us; and for the pleasure of your company and conversation on the bus rides to and from the CO bunker at that CO DO, and for the companionship and treating during the Austin BBQ DO earlier in the year.
I hope our paths will cross again, and wish you all the best.
- Joe
Old Nov 7, 2010, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Thank you Randy for starting flyertalk! Good luck to you in the future! ^
Old Nov 7, 2010, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
As another relative newcomer, I wish that I could have had the chance to spend some time getting to know you... Thank you for starting this site and best of luck...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.