Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

JOIN IN - OFFICIAL 2010 Secret Santa Extravaganza!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JOIN IN - OFFICIAL 2010 Secret Santa Extravaganza!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Gold
This is my first year doing this and I'm so excited. I remember when I was a kid doing this, and now I have more money .....This will be awesome.

One question, Do we buy little gifts the whole time this is going on and send them? or just one big gift at the end? I just want to know the RULES so I don't break 'em lol

Woody

Last edited by woodyth; Oct 21, 2010 at 7:41 pm Reason: sp.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:31 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Woody,

That is up to you... I have seen both in the past...

I have received one box that had many things in it... plenty to unwrap... and have also gotten several gifts mailed at different times...

Have fun with this!

Originally Posted by woodyth
This is my first year doing this and I'm so excited. I remember when I was a kid doing this, and now I have more money .....This will be awesome.

One question, Do we buy little gifts the whole time this is going on and send them? or just one big gift at the end? I just want to know the RULES so I don't break 'em lol

Woody
Old Oct 22, 2010, 8:14 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Hope that helps as an example. Ever since I started providing details like that, the gifts I've received have been more attuned to what I like. Although I'm easy-going. A nice Amazon gift card will do, but getting more specific things to my likes is a bit more fun.

Cheers.
Looks like I will need to reword my letter to Santa
Old Oct 22, 2010, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well you don't need to provide page #s, 800#s & prices of what you'd like , but the more info you can provide the easier it is for your SS and for you.

What really makes it difficult is when someone says 'anything travel-related' Ok, how 'bout some luggage tags. LOL...

You'll have a blast w/ SS. And it's just as much fun to figure out what you're going to give as it is to receive.

What some folk have also done (but you need to know other FTers to make it work or someone in general who would do it) is have their gifts and/or cards sent from a different location, so as to confuse the SS recipient on who their SS is or where they reside. Because part of it is guessing who your SS is (sometimes SS gets 'outed' by Amazon etc putting who the shipper is). Some like to know who their SS is; some don't. Some SS's like the recipients to know who they are; some don't.

Cheers.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 9:21 am
Original Poster

SkiAdcock is so correct... it can be much fun.

I actually personally delivered gifts for people at a party I was attending... The FTer was very shocked that SANTA was delivering their gift from someone else...

To this day, many people do not know who their Santas have been... and many have tried to find out through me... to no avail...
Old Oct 22, 2010, 9:54 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
You'll have a blast w/ SS.
It's clear that indeed most folks do. And wharvey deserves lots and lots of credit for doing the hours and hours of work that this entails. But the one time I participated, I did indeed enjoy getting about $50 worth of gifts tailored to my giftee's situation, and in turn I received from my SS a magazine subscription that I had no interest in (and can be had for 300 FF miles) and a small item that comes as a "free gift" with other subscriptions.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
dcpatti,

The Elves at WHQ would appreciate as much information as possible.
Please re-read the lovely SkiAdcocks description below. She's right on the money.

Last year, I was very specific in my requests. I suggested what I wanted, and also suggested the place to get it (avoiding shipping and any fees). Everyone made out. ^

Originally Posted by dcpatti
This will be my first year doing FT Secret Santa. I'm not sure if I gave Santa enough details, but I didn't want to sound like a greedy girl by giving a full-on list! Could a veteran please share an example of a good level of detail?

Thanks!
Well here's what I provided to Santa to pass along to his elf regarding me, if you need an example:

"I like both giving & receiving at Xmastime, which is my favorite time of the year. And yes I watch every schlocky Xmas movie on the telly, even if they're bad! I wrap my Xmas gifts while watching "Planes,Trains & Automobiles" (Steve Martin & John Candy) & "White Christmas" (Bing Crosby); it's a tradition.

I fly United 99.9% of the time (*Alliance if UA doesn't go somewhere), so SWUs, CR1s, RCC/PC day passes all happily accepted if my SS has any & is feeling generous. Also, Marriott is my # 1 hotel chain, so anything they've got to offer ok too.

I LOVE champagne!, and enjoy good red & white wine. I eat most types of food (love Italian), but am allergic to seafood/fish & not that big a fan of Indian food.

While I work in the movie industry I actually enjoy movies as well, so go quite often to the theatre or rent from Blockbuster. So gift certs to AMC or Goodrich theater chains or Blockbuster Video also happily accepted. Or even a dvd (scary horror ones are not my thing however). I already have a netflix subscription.

I read constantly & usually donate a 100 books a year to the local library for their fundraiser after I've finished reading them. Hmm, Barnes&Noble gift cert comes to mind (there is not a Borders where I now live, so B&N if SS goes this route, or a gift cert to Amazon for Kindle purchases as I own a Kindle).

I don't drink coffee, but do drink Tzao Green Tea which Starbucks carries. Also Twinings Earl Gray tea, which can be bought anywhere.

Needless to say, I love traveling - and meeting new people, such as FTers."

Disclaimer... every once in a while, one of the Elves wakes up on the wrong side of the bed, and doesn't play Secret Santa in the spirit Santa (wharvey) intends it to be played.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:02 pm

Think I need to re submit my description!?!?!?!?!? Can I still do that?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Anyone can resubmit your information... however, you must send a completely new IM answering all the questions again. I will not be merging PMs.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:09 pm

Submitted Again!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:03 pm

Programs: I'm all in on Ultimate Rewards
Dear Secret Santa-

I just came up with yet another perfect gift to give me

Access to a program which allows me to see award availability on a mac for a one world award ticket. I'm planning on doing a mini rtw trip next August-October after I take the CA bar exam and will have just enough miles to plan the 150k J award by December. This would be great in helping me out! Oh, and if you happened to have done something similar, advice is also STRONGLY welcomed!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 5:11 am
Original Poster

I have updated the listing with all who have submitted information to me.

Let your Flyertalk friends know and get them to sign up!
Old Oct 28, 2010, 8:56 am

I want this to start today...........I just hope people have as much fun with this as i will!
Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:56 am

Programs: CO Plat; Marriott Silver; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by woodyth
I want this to start today...........I just hope people have as much fun with this as i will!
I really enjoy shopping for FT Secret Santa. I don't know that I've always hit the mark, but I really do try. When there's not enough info, I learned this trick from others - set up a separate e-mail account with yahoo or whoever to ask your recipient specific questions: FTSecretsanta@yahoo...... or something similar if you don't want your identity revealed.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 8:23 pm

Programs: *Alliance
When will we get the match info? Going on StarMegaDo II and just might find something special on the trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.