Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Chicago Seminar DO October 16th and 17th 2010

Chicago Seminar DO October 16th and 17th 2010

Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
For the same reason there was to be no videotaping, etc, of the speakers, I would think the notes can't be 'published'. Folk may choose to share them (or not) back-channel, but my guess is that's as good as it will get.

Cheers.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
For the same reason there was to be no videotaping, etc, of the speakers, I would think the notes can't be 'published'. Folk may choose to share them (or not) back-channel, but my guess is that's as good as it will get.

Cheers.
Thanks for the clarification Sharon!
Old Oct 30, 2010, 3:14 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
mind boggling

For my part, it was just fun to see all these minds at work.

highlights.
meeting trade partners in person. I can safely do a lot more in future.
new friends I met.
realizing that I know quite a bit as well and can contribute
seeing and adding faces to names -
Mrp Alert helped me very generously with PMs. Listening to him was great.
aktchi was good to me with all my questions during my learning UA YQ dump.
Beaubo what a great trade partner and guy to listen to. The awesome scale of his projects! How can you go to the golden triangle and fly people around..
Pudding Guy unassuming with a great mind and wonderful sense of balance in life. I will always remember from him to enjoy the trip as well as the places we visit.
MrPickles I always thought he did not exist. I mean, who could carry 2 MM coins on his backpack to the bank? To hear him and listen to him was fun.
wanaflyforless I had heard from but to see him and hear of his MRs!
In fact all of the speakers were first rate and the entertainment was free (for 20$ fee and a r/t on UA that was from a free 250$ bump voucher) and the 20$ parking fee at BWI. I have not had such great value from my spend in years.

The food btw was fine. I did not go for it. In fact I missed the breakfast the first day and gave the voucher back to Ingy. The next day at Lunch, when I did not have it, he gave me very generously back the breakfast voucher, so I could eat. Thanks Ingy.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
If I had known it was such a big deal, I would have went to a nearby grocery store and bought some bananas!

I loved this DO. That is what it was.... a DO!

Now if you have been to as many DO's as I have and I know many have been to many many more. What you can expect is "INFORMATION" and "SHARING". What you might get is a drink that you pay for and some food that you pay for in a venue that may or may not be to your liking. It is up to the host! If you get anything more then be thankful.

I have been to a DO with seminars and without.
I have been where there was food and where there was only drinks.
I have been to a DO where we ordered pizza and even one where pizza was provided.
I have been to a DO or more where Delta paid for everything and even where American Express paid for some things.

I find it wonderful when a host has a DO and we all get together. It is about networking, building friendships and getting to know each other on a more personal note.

Quite frankly if the HOSTS had decided to not to send out a survey, I would have been FINE with that. They did this the way THEY wanted to. We were told what we were buying in to and by registering we accepted those terms. We were not guaranteed any particular level of service or food. We were told we would receive food for one guest per room and we would be able to select from seminars that did not conflict with another. We got what we were told we would get and more. I did not particularly care for the breakfast, but it was because I don't care for the items and that is what you get in hotels, no more, no less. I thought the pizza was EXCELLENT! I went back for seconds on the pizza. I don't care for cold cuts, so I sent my son next door to grab him and I a grilled chicken sandwich. I did not even mention it to either of the organizers as it was my choice to do that. Was it there fault? No! I just don't care for cold cuts. I had a choice. Eat it, get something else or not eat at all. I even considered bring my own food to the event and keeping it in my room so I would have what I wanted. If I had, it would not have changed my perceived value received. I would suggest that anyone that has a special diet or desires, should learn to provide or acquire their own food. Events are planned for the majority and I believe the MAJORITY got more than they expected they would get. I could be wrong, but I hope not.

If you are able to do a better job, cheaper and get more, put your money where your mouth is. I am ready to pay less than $20.00 and attend your mega do. I don't mean that sarcastically, I will attend. I will not criticize your DO. If you want my feedback, you can ask for it and I will freely give it to you. I will not criticize you publicly, no matter how many things go wrong.

If you can't say something good, don't say anything at all.

In closing, I thank the organizers and all of the presenters for their time. I do hope they do it again and do it the way they did it this time. I would be willing to draft a disclaimer at no charge for their next event I am willing to pay the same amount, even if the seminars are duplicated. I will still get my money's worth out of the networking and socializing.

I personally believe this thread has run it's course and will now check out, delete my subscription and wait for the next great FT get together. I hope the wonderful new friends I met at this thread will find me on facebook soon, so that we can share great deals with each other.

Thanks for a wonderful time.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Delta Gold
Chicago Do

AMEN, you said it very well, thank you!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:06 pm

hey guys, what was the per night rate @elk grove.. anyone recall? i just saw on my cc bill, for $121... (i was paying 1 night)?
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by homang
hey guys, what was the per night rate @elk grove.. anyone recall? i just saw on my cc bill, for $121... (i was paying 1 night)?
The rate was $89.00 plus a pair of 6% taxes for an all-in price of $99.68/night.

Did you charge something in Old Chicago or room service to your room?

If you are a PC member, you should be able to see your bill online.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by jmd001
The rate was $89.00 plus a pair of 6% taxes for an all-in price of $99.68/night.

Did you charge something in Old Chicago or room service to your room?

If you are a PC member, you should be able to see your bill online.
haha ur right. totally good again. forgot about the food bill.
thanks man
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:43 am

Thanks for putting this together. It was nice to put a face to some of the names on Flyertalk. I have to say that a lot of the bloggers look very different in person than in the pictures on their website.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:43 pm
Suspended

I haven't read through all the comments....but, I thought the DO was great. I was surprised there weren't notepads and pens but that is a little/tiny complaint. I paid for the food and thought the pizza was good...the rest wasn't. But, I didn't come for the food.

The events were great! I thought the raffles wasted too much time and the stand up breaks were also unnecessary/waste of time.

Some of the presenters said they would share their slides but, to date, I haven't received anything.

Would I go again? Absolutely.

Thank you!

Edited to add: MrPickes was AMAZING. I loved his presentation at the end.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.