Community
Wiki Posts
Search

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by anat0l
Also waiting for the FRA-IAH (or rather JFK-(LX)-ZRH-(LX)-FRA-(LH)-IAH) pricing....

LH JFK-FRA-IAH: = 3128$ a.i. in Z
LX JFK-xZRH-FRA: 1566$ a.i. in Business

$3128 / 2 = $1564 ($2 from $1566). Each can draw their own conclusion on FRA-IAH.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by cova
LH JFK-FRA-IAH: = 3128$ a.i. in Z
LX JFK-xZRH-FRA: 1566$ a.i. in Business

$3128 / 2 = $1564 ($2 from $1566). Each can draw their own conclusion on FRA-IAH.
That's fair enough reasoning.

I was thinking of mixing classes (LX J to FRA; LH Y back to IAH) - I guess that would be asking for too much.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:12 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by cova
If A380 is completely out - then maybe the organizers should consider a Sunday night flight over for an extra day in FRA?
Originally Posted by Pat+
This is a great idea. It would make for a more pleasant trip to Europe, would help justify the more expensive Z fare and wouldn't require most of us (I guess) to take an extra day off from work.

That being said I understand what a nightmare this is for our beloved organizers, so I'm sure there's a reason for the Mon departure. But I second the idea
You will be able to use the group fare to start on a longhaul to FRA a few days before Nov 1 if would like too. You will miss the festivities in JFK. This was available last year too and will be so again. The longest trip taken that way was the one the coffee guys did from KOA to FRA

OS has now given us their offer JFK-VIE-FRA too ^ Will post it during the day.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:16 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
This sounds interesting. I'm actually flying back through IAH in CO biz on Nov 1st. I'm sure I could arrange a stopover here before heading back to Phx later in the week. However, it sounds like it wouldn't do me any good since I wouldn't be allowed into the event since I hadn't booked the charter.
Originally Posted by sbm12
The tours, probably not. The FT Awards dinner is expected to be open to everyone who wants to attend.
Definitely not, if you don't book the charter, you don't get to attend anything related to the SMD2.

The FT awards are a completely separate event and of course open to all.

Excluding folks may sound harsh, but this event taking place in the home country of FT would attract quite a few additional people if we opened the gates to non charter participants.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:30 pm

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002

Costs:

The scheduled flights

LH has published a group fare for those starting in the US (JFK-FRA-IAH) and we will soon have a group fare for those starting in Europe (FRA-IAH//SEA-FRA). In order to allow some of you to try out a different airline, LX has arranged for a one way group fare (JFK-xZRH-FRA).
The price currently is:
LH JFK-FRA-IAH: 2748US$++ (3128$ a.i.) in Z, 320US$++ (700$ a.i.) in W/S
LX JFK-xZRH-FRA: 1566$ a.i. in Business, 341$ a.i. in Economy
SK: awaiting feedback
CO: no group fare offered
I don't think I'll be zipping over to JFK just to be able to fly back on the A380 the same/next day.

Will you offer a fare on LH/LX on FRA-IAH and ORD-FRA?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:27 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Excellent news. ^ Great to see things coming together at such an early stage. Many thanks to the team and our airline friends, and while I share LHrelate's disappointment of not having the A380 on the JFK-FRA route I have to go to NRT anyway later this year so will give it a spin then

Grateful if you could let us know soon what the fares for the ex Europe TATL (FRA-IAH/SEA-FRA) route might be, though one would assume they are similar to the JFK-FRA-IAH fare, right?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Excluding folks may sound harsh, but this event taking place in the home country of FT would attract quite a few additional people if we opened the gates to non charter participants.
Perhaps you might consider a standby list in case there are any other openings. Since I believe there is a charity component to the DO, perhaps a contribution to help the assigned charities out?

I know that this whole charter is an important part of the whole DO. However, if there were any tour availability it would be a shame for it to go to waste.

If, at some point, you decide to add this option for IAH or PHX, I'd certainly be interested.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Perhaps you might consider a standby list in case there are any other openings. Since I believe there is a charity component to the DO, perhaps a contribution to help the assigned charities out?
With so many pieces in the organisation puzzle this would be difficult to manage. FTers are a pretty innovative bunch and opening a little gap will just invite gatecrashers. The airlines spend considerable money and time to organise tours etc so taking care of 300 adequately is a tough job already. I remember we kept the location of the FRA marketplace (just above LH checkin) secret till the last moment for fear of gatecrashers.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 5:18 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
The airlines spend considerable money and time to organise tours etc so taking care of 300 adequately is a tough job already.
Fully agree, also there is an element of supporting airlines in return by flying with them.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by starflyergold
Fully agree, also there is an element of supporting airlines in return by flying with them.
Oh, I'm certainly flying CO in Biz and FC to get to IAH and then to PHX. However, I'm sure they need to have this organized in a way that they can handle it. I'll be returning from EZE, otherwise I probably would have gone for the whole thing.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
FTers are a pretty innovative bunch and opening a little gap will just invite gatecrashers.
I had to smile at this. It coveys a high and low opinion of FTers all at the same time.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Whenever I get all flustered about another case where someone tried to pull a 'innovative' cheap trick on us, tommy just says 'what did you expect? these are flyertalkers like us'
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E
Oliver,

Great job organizing this,,, Looking forward to seeing all again...^^

Any chance LH offering TATL portion in V fares for Y Class?

Will LX or OS offer Y class fares as well? If so can you let me know which fares they will be under?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:19 pm
B58

Originally Posted by vulle
I'm so looking forward to November

November 6
Participants start their their journey home: Europeans take LH 491 (dep. 15.45) back to FRA,
I know you're all very busy, but I have to ask if it'd be possible to stay for an extra day in Seattle for same price before flying back to Europe? Us Europeans like to shop in the U.S. as almost everything is so much cheaper!

Will LH also be offering add-on flights/fares to/from FRA for us Europeans? It'd be good to have all flights under one ticket.

+1

Is something known about this?

Thanks for information.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AC_flyer
Oliver,

Great job organizing this,,, Looking forward to seeing all again...^^

Any chance LH offering TATL portion in V fares for Y Class?

Will LX or OS offer Y class fares as well? If so can you let me know which fares they will be under?
LH can offer V for an upcharge, LX's Y offer books into P, OS has not offered anything in Y (yet)

Originally Posted by B58
+1

Is something known about this?

Thanks for information.
Yes, you can book your return onto a later date. LH491/06NOV is currently well booked, so LH would probably welcome it if you book for a later date

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.