StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2010, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
As far as I understand, you can attend that event as long as you are booked on a charter.
That is crrect.

Xyzzy
Old Oct 2, 2010, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy
That is crrect.

Xyzzy
Great - I thought it might be one of those events where organizers wanted to get a gauge of how many would be coming for logistical purposes, but I guess I was overthinking it!
Old Oct 2, 2010, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA CK, DL PLT, HH DIA, MARRIOTT PLT, FAIRMONT LT PLT, HYATT DIA, SIXT PLT, AVIS PC
Im slightly lost on the schedule it says the Sheraton Seattle but for booking rooms it says Westin. Where is the SPG event?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by benolaa
Im slightly lost on the schedule it says the Sheraton Seattle but for booking rooms it says Westin. Where is the SPG event?
I noticed that too on the SMDo website, but I figure the guys are busy trying to get the bookings sorted this weekend & there's still a month between now & then to find out. I also figure if I just follow tommy, seth, oli & reb as they head for the booze I'll be in the right place

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Oct 2, 2010 at 6:04 pm
Old Oct 2, 2010, 6:36 pm

We're all staying at the Westin (using the SMD2 group rate), but the event might be at the Sheraton. The schedule on the SMD site says "yes, the Sheraton", so I guess the event is at the Sheraton. If you map the properties on spg.com, you will see that they are very close.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Oct 2, 2010 at 6:43 pm
Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: Back to UA with a bit of Hyatt and some Marriott
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
We're all staying at the Westin (using the SMD2 group rate), but the event might be at the Sheraton. The schedule on the SMD site says "yes, the Sheraton", so I guess the event is at the Sheraton. If you map the properties on spg.com, you will see that they are very close.

-David
Yes, the two are only three or four blocks apart.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The schedule is correct. The SPG event is at the Sheraton. The rooms are at the Westin. There is a huge conference at the Sheraton, so we were unable to obtain a block of rooms there. The two hotels are not far apart.

Xyzzy
Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:22 pm

I just booked my flight to NYC on the 31st. Got a $91 fare to LGA. Going from ORD rather than home airport, so will get in in early aft rather than morning as I have to drive to ORD to catch flight but plenty of time to make the pre kick off event at Westin TS.

Of course the pro to the late morning flight is, depending what time they start serving booze in the RCC, I might be able to use a lot of my hoarded RCC drink chits for a bottle, er, glass, of champers, as they expire that day

Also booked back to ORD from SEA on the Sunday - and for once was able to get a flight that does not leave at 6am! After a week w/ FTers on SMD2 every few minutes of extra sleep appreciated.

Now to figure out the best way to get to TS from LGA.

Cheers.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:29 pm

Bed bugs at Westin Times Square??

Was reading the bed bugs - are you worried about them? thread in Travel Buzz & there was a link to www.bedbugregistry.com, which evidently tracks where they've been reported.

Plugging in the hotels we'll be staying at domestically in NYC, IAH & SEA, the Westin TS popped up w/ bed bug reports. Perhaps not surprising given NYC seems to be under attack from the little *%!Z# bloodsuckers & office buildings etc have had reports of them.

Seems to be mixed on rooms at Westin - & when & how the hotel has reacted - but still worrisome. I certainly don't want to start off the trip w/ bites over my body.

http://www.bedbugregistry.com/hotel/...k-Times-Square

The pics of the bugs on some guy's facebook page seem to be larger than what I imagined bedbugs to be, but the fact that bugs were there at all in his room is ick!

IAH & SEA seem to be fine, and hopefully the Westin will be. But maybe tommy can check w/ the hotel on any problems/what's being done. I wasn't thrilled to read that people had bites on their body but were told by hotel personnel the room is fine.

BTW - they also say to put your luggage on luggage rack or in bathtub rather than on bed to help prevent them getting into your luggage.

Sorry to bring up a gross subject, but thought it worth noting & hopefully can get some reassurance it won't be a problem when we're there.

Cheers.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Cheers.
I'm guessing you will opt to take a taxi, but there's super shuttle (never tried them in NYC), and NY Airport Express bus from LGA to the Port Authority Bus Terminal, which is just a few blocks from the hotel.

You could skip the Port Authority Bus Terminal experience and leave NYC with a much better attitude about it, IMO. (Though I haven't been there in years.)

There's lots of options, including city bus/subway, etc. But unlike JFK and Newark, there is no good direct train option.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lga-g...portation.html
Old Oct 3, 2010, 6:48 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
imo, STAY AWAY from Super Shuttle, when trying to get TO Manhattan.

For the varied reasons, check out the NYC Forum's several threads/posts on the topic. Here's my take

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12675694-post8.html

The city bus/subway trip is certainly cheap ($2.25), probably takes @1 hr , maybe less, BUT you'd have to be comfortable making a connection which will likely entail going up stairs.

Again, the NYC Forum has endless threads debating the various transit options.

Check 'em out or feel free to pm me with any questions
Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:32 am

I usually use Dial 7 car service and Continental Magazine often has a coupon for up to $5.00 off. http://www.dial7.com/ They have a special rate for LGA to Manhattan of $29 now plus toll and if you will find a $5.00 off coupon it will cost you $24.00 plus toll charge and tip.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
If you want to take public transit, take the M60 bus to the Astoria Blvd subway station, which is elevated, and then take the N or Q train to Times Square, or take the Q33 to Jackson Heights/Roosevelt/74th St (end of the line) and take the E train to 42nd St/8th Ave (the Westin is near 8th Ave). Both the M60 and Q33 run frequently and stop at each LGA terminal. The buses do not have luggage racks, and you will be climbing stairs on the subway, so it is only practical if you don't have checked baggage.

There are Metrocard machines in the LGA terminals. If you use a Metrocard, the bus to subway transfer is free.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by seacarl
If you want to take public transit, take the M60 bus to the Astoria Blvd subway station, which is elevated, and then take the N or Q train to Times Square, or take the Q33 to Jackson Heights/Roosevelt/74th St (end of the line) and take the E train to 42nd St/8th Ave (the Westin is near 8th Ave). Both the M60 and Q33 run frequently and stop at each LGA terminal. The buses do not have luggage racks, and you will be climbing stairs on the subway, so it is only practical if you don't have checked baggage.

There are Metrocard machines in the LGA terminals. If you use a Metrocard, the bus to subway transfer is free.
I usually spring for a cab from LGA to the Jackson Heights/Roosevelt/74th St station (+/-$15) and take a subway from there.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:54 am

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I now return you to our regularly scheduled programming, which is StarMegaDo2. See you all in a few weeks!

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.